Forums Latest Members
  1. Dms5150 Jun 4, 2020

Hi there, thinking of getting a new Speedy (currently have 3592.50) and love the look of the FOIS. Perfect size, love the leaf hands.. but the only thing stopping me from purchase is that super ugly box sapphire crystal. It just looks so out of place on such a retro looking watch. I prefer hesalite all the way.

This might be sacrilege, but I'm actually considering getting a FOIS but then swapping the Sapphire out with a nice rounded NOS hesalite crystal.

Does anyone know if there are structural differences between the bezels and cases of hesalite vs sapphire watches? Or might it be possible? (With the assistance of a good watchmaker of course)..

2. zoohannover Jun 4, 2020

3. Dms5150 Jun 4, 2020

zoohannover likes this.
  4. scapa Jun 4, 2020

I get the desire to "perfect" the FOIS by swapping the sapphire for hesalite -- though I wouldn't describe the FOIS's crystal as "super-ugly" -- but having owned the Pro and FOIS in quick succession, I'd say that each watch has the crystal that suits it. The clarity, deep varnished black and finer detailing of the FOIS dial are better served by the sapphire, iMO, whereas the Pro's flatter finish and bolder indices work beautifully with the Hesalite.

I can imagine a FOIS with an RMLE-style sapphire as a best-of-both-worlds scenario for me. Anyway, my 2 shillings.

Edited Jun 5, 2020
  5. mrchen Jun 5, 2020

There are a lot of threads here that discuss this. Essentially it can be done but only after greatly modifying an acrylic crystal and with no guarantee of water resistance or workmamship-- eg. a watchmaker has to cobble something together to make it work as the stock FOIS case can not take a stock hesalite crystal.

Regarding the sapphire vs. hesalite... It's really just a preference mate... Don't buy in to the marketing hype. The milky ring is not that big of a deal, and for the 99.99999999% of us who won't be NASA (or SpaceX) pilots, having sapphire is not a life or death situation.

6. Dms5150 Jun 5, 2020

Thanks, yes from reading I wouldn't attempt myself. It looks like Lewis Watch Co is the way to go; they have some incredible mods on their instagram.

Agree it is just a preference. I just really love the look of hesalite/plexi. I only have one watch with a sapphire, which is a 2004 Aqua Terra and that has a rounded crystal which is nice. Always wondered why they haven't made a sapphire speedy crystal that is more rounded like the traditional hesalite shape. They did this to great effect recently with the Railmaster 60th which has a sapphire in the shape of the original plexi. Really the best of both worlds.

7. Daval Jun 5, 2020

I can certainly vouch for the craftsmanship of Adam of the Lewis Watch Co. I purchased one on his hesalite conversions last year and could not be happier with the result and the process. The sapphire version of FOIS always seemed a bit 'cold' to me. The hesalite version is exactly the opposite. But in the end, it is a matter of personal preference of course.

If you are looking for examples, you will find plenty in my posts in the WRUW thread.

pascs, Dms5150 and marco like this.
  8. Dms5150 Jun 5, 2020

That's a great looking watch Daval!

Drifter and Daval like this.
  9. Drifter Apr 18, 2024

Thanks for all the info regarding Lewis Watch Co and his hesalite conversions. This was very helpful in my making the same swap.

hansmaulwurf likes this.