Forums Latest Members

FOIS Dropped - Bezel dented

1. unload Jan 9, 2020

please see attached- dropped my FOIS :(

How do I get this i fixed? How much is a new bezel if that is the best way to fix? and is that possible?

see near 80 on Tachymeter

Thanks for your help.

speedy-1.jpg speedy-2.jpg
  2. Donn Chambers Jan 9, 2020

Afraid you are gonna need a new bezel and insert for that. Frankly, if the watch is operating properly after the shock and doesn’t need immediate service, I’d just wait and have it replaced during the next service. The cheapest option for buying a bezel now is from Omega — any that you might find online are going to be marked up by a significant margin.

unload likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 9, 2020

Congrats on a nice character dent. :thumbsup: “Wear it like it’s stolen” I say.....

OmeGez, Wivac, Baz9614 and 9 others like this.
  4. vbrad26 Jan 9, 2020

As painful as it is to look at...you'll end up getting used to it over time.
    If it still bothers you when it is time for a service, have it replaced then as already mentioned.

ewand and unload like this.
  5. 03Hemi Jan 9, 2020

I'd never get used to looking at that, every time I'd see it I'd get pissed at myself again. To me, that'd have to be fixed ASAP, but I don't see a beat up watch as having character, a beat up leather jacket has character. A 30 year old watch in pristine shape has character.

janice&fred, MtnBkr, Engee and 4 others like this.
  6. Kargol Jan 9, 2020

Bad luck my friend. I feel you...
    one week ago my wife just took a sit on the sofa where I had misplaced an old cosmic which I had just brought back from the watchmaker with a new genuine glass...
    shit happens, but it’s only money. It can be fixed

unload likes this.
  7. unload Jan 9, 2020

Any idea what the cost might be all in service & Parts? Ballpark guess?

Definitely going to fix it it's not that small

8. 03Hemi Jan 9, 2020

No idea, but expensive I'm sure, probably to the point you'll make sure to never do it again. Get rid of that clumsy buckle and go to a clasp and it will dramatically lower the odds of dropping it again when you go to put it on and the strap will last a lot longer too. fwiw
    IMG_1180.JPG

Walrus, janice&fred, KeithS and 2 others like this.
  9. unload Jan 9, 2020

Yes I was actually just going to order a bracelet for it this week $#%!@

10. Evitzee Jan 9, 2020

Yes, get a DP buckle for safety and strap longevity, they don't cost much (less than $40). Tang buckle on sports watches don't make sense in 2020. I know the history angle for some of these watches for a tang buckle, but they are fiddly in operation and can lead to drops if you aren't careful.

unload, janice&fred and 03Hemi like this.
  11. 89-0 Jan 9, 2020

c.$180 for the part on a Speedmaster. They changed it for free at the OB a couple of years ago for me. However, nowadays it may have to be shipped to the service center.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Jan 9, 2020

I put depoyants on all my straps- for the same reason- I find myself ham-fisted at 4am when I am bleary eyed and getting dressed for work- a buckle and tang is just too fiddly for me at that hour. Plus a deployant reduces the wear on the most stressed part of the strap. Some are better than others, I have found the Gecko butterly ones at around $18 to be slimmer than most and well made. They also have a new bracelet style single flip which is excellent and wears very slim to the wrist.

As for your bezel- I recently replaced the bezel on my ‘72 Speedy (of course stashes rhe DNN) and it was under $200 from a forum member- Not sure what it would be for the FIOS- but I don’t imagine enough to make you have to sell an organ.

unload likes this.
  13. 03Hemi Jan 9, 2020

I typically can't stand a butterfly, but found this Rios Clasp made in Germany very easy to put on without having to bend the strap to go through the keepers and it's the German high quality you'd expect. Evitzee is right on, I paid around $40 bucks on ebay for it. I especially like the large screw head that holds it to one side of the strap instead of the pin for security reasons and it lays very flat.
    IMG_1181.JPG

14. JwRosenthal Jan 9, 2020

Very similar to the new Gecko one i mentioned but that looks to be a better design (like the screw pin). And the price is about the same- May have to pick a few of these up!

unload and 03Hemi like this.
  15. TimtimeIntl Jan 9, 2020

For a Speedy I am a bracelet guy but for many dress watches I like a conventional strap. Never did like the deployment ones I tried on them. any accident can happen but when putting on and removing I always do it over a counter, table or something soft. At an outdoor art show I was admiring a man's Patek and he took it off right there in the street and handed it to me to view. Shudders. I guess I look trustworthy. He was in a wheel chair and I would not let him put it back on unless over his lap. You can source a bezel online and have a regular watchmaker replace it and save some money.

unload, janice&fred and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. 03Hemi Jan 9, 2020

I do the bracelet in warm weather and I like the leather for a change in cold weather.

17. 03Hemi Jan 9, 2020

Even the side that attaches where the tang of the buckle used to be is a threaded pin on one end going all the way through, no spring bars at all. All German precision too.
    RiosClasp.jpg

18. Evitzee Jan 9, 2020

Do you have a source link? Thanks.

19. vicsdca Jan 9, 2020

Wow. It must have landed on something quite sharp to make a dent like that.

03Hemi likes this.
  20. 03Hemi Jan 9, 2020

I got it off ebay ($39.99) and here's the description exactly as described, but cant' get it to link:
    RIOS1931 Germany 16 mm Stainless Steel Silver Butterfly Deployment Clasp Buckle

TDBK likes this.