Forums Latest Members
  1. w154 Apr 3, 2017

I have a few watches in for service in the UK, plus a couple of purchases from recent auctions, and the plan is to get it all sent to my parents in the UK. They will be visiting us towards the end of the month (in Germany), so the idea is that they can bring them all over in their carry-on luggage. They are more than happy to help out, and this will save a load on shipping and insurance costs, plus hopefully minimise the risk of damage or loss.

I just wonder though, might there be some difficulties at airport security if they are carrying particularly “hot” radium watches from the forties. Most of them are tritium dialled, but there is my Cyma WWW that seems original plus a Universal Geneve Compax that is mid-forties and looks to have original lume on the dial and hands. I don’t really want to take any risks, as a) I don’t want to cause any stress for my parents, and b) if there was a problem. I can’t imagine a good solution as airport security may want to confiscate them and even if not there would be nowhere to leave them.

Does anyone have any experience of travelling with radium watches in luggage, or know what regulations exist ?

Couldn’t find anything on Google…

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2017

Shouldn't be any issues.

I wouldn't be advising them to tell the airline that they have radium in their bags when checking in. ;) ( they ask if anything is dangerous in their bags and the answer would be no )

Have worked at a international airport for years on and off and have never heard of anyone being inconvenienced for wearing or carrying older watches due to the radium lume.

w154 likes this.
  3. w154 Apr 3, 2017

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2017

One thing that shocks me everytime is back packers carrying camping gas canisters in check in backpacks

image.jpeg
    Not a smart idea ::facepalm2::

Lukeeesteve and Deafboy like this.
  5. Lukeeesteve Apr 3, 2017

I usually travel with a gasmate.
    IMG_6793.JPG

6. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2017

I've never ever had a problem, over many years of traveling with watches. They were usually tucked into my carry-on bag in a pouch or watch roll.

7. Rumar89 Apr 3, 2017

I'm not sure I would have had the foresight to even consider this...