Forums Latest Members

Flip Omega Hour Vision Orbis for a Nomos Blue dial Zuric Weltzeit?

1. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2016

I have hardly been using my Orbis Hour Vision in my current rotation for the last 12 months. I do like the Orbis and did use it frequently when my rotation was down to 3-4 watches, but right now other watches come into rotation leaving it sulking in the safe:)

I do have an Exp II 42mm Polar and a JLC Reverso DuoFace, which both offer GMT functionality, but I do find I have a need for a more business under the radar GMT watch...the Exp II is too sporty and the JLC too dressy for daily business wear...and I am increasingly travelling abroad on business, around one week per month...I do find the GMT feature useful.

I have looked and tried the new Rolex GMT Master II but I personally cannot warm to the large numbers on the ceramic dials. I am scared of buying second-hand a previous gen of the Rollie GMTs with swappable bezel inserts, which I actually prefer.. I don´t like the AT GMT short hand and the PO GMT is too thick for me. Superdoc has mentioned that there will be a new Omega GMT getting much attention during Basel 2016 so that might be an option too.

Other options I am considering would be a Grand Seiko GMT, but I am concerned about the thickness on those watches as well.

One of the options that suddenly came on my radar is the Nomos Blue Dial GMT/pseudo worldtimer. The positives for me are the design, in-house movement, collection diversity, under-the-radar look and that it also be used as a casual watch. Negatives are no date complication, but that would not be a show-stopper for me. I would purchase the Nomos retail at Tourneau or Wempe.

So esteemed fellow forum colleagues....I am very much interested in getting feedback on this subject, especially from those of you who might have had experience with both watches. Of course I will not pull the trigger on anything until the dust settles after Basel 2016, but I might actually do the trade almost immediately after Basel has closed shop.

Would you flip this:
    20160227_095600.jpg
    For this:
    Nomos Zurich World Timer True Blue 2.jpg
    Nomos Zurich World Timer True Blue 3.jpg

2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 10, 2016

There is some historic value to the De Ville that you may want to consider. It is the first watch produced on a commercial scale with a co-axial escapement, and had direct input from the escapement's inventor, George Daniels.

3. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2016

Thanks...I was not aware of that. Knew only about the Orbis charity connection. Cheers

4. jayrock26 Mar 10, 2016

i think the Nomos is great value for the money and that movement... is just wow very underrated i think id take the Nomos

Archer and Riviera Paradise like this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2016

Thanks @jayrock26:) I agree about the movement and it is such an original GMT complication as well. I currently have four Omega watches derived from the 8500 co-axial...I am sincerely getting a bit bored seeing the same two barrels through the case back...it would be refreshing to see another movement;).

One thing I will have to watch out for is how this Nomos works on the wrist...the lugs seem quite long and I have read some complaints in other forums about the watch not being comfortable to wear.

@Nobel Prize: I would very much appreciate your opinion....your take on Grand Seiko was superb on another forum thread:)

@Archer: any comments on the more recent Nomos calibres would also be greatly appreciated:)

Cheers

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 10, 2016

I actually haven't seen the NOMOS in person, the lugs do seem a little off balance on the pics though.

I'm torn because the DeVille would be my natural choice between the two. It's a legitimate simple watch with just enough design in it to make it stand out.

The NOMOS is different and cool and retro in that " design of the future " way. Which attracts me but I think eventually I may get tired of the novelty and go back to classic universal designs. That's what always happens to me. I'm attracted to the novelty but I'm a classic guy at heart.

Also you do have 4 Omegas.....so hard to not want a little variety.

I'll tell you what will never get old.... A good 16710 with Coke bezel. The Coke versus Pepsi will dress it up a bit, it looks good with anything and as you mentioned you can swap the bezel inserts fairly easily. It's profile is thinner than the more modern GMT and it is just classic and right.

If you're fond of GMT complications not having a Rolex seems obscene

7. Perseus Mar 10, 2016

My first thought was no way, but if you need a GMT it's hard to beat the Nomos.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  8. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2016

Thanks @Nobel Prize for the input, very good points you raise:thumbsup: I have actually "tired" a bit of my Deville Orbis so I do think I am ready for a change:) My current Rolex Polar 216570 should theoretically count at least as one Rolex "GMT" watch...so hopefully I am not being too obscene;).

I had actually thought of getting a second Explorer 2 black dial 40mm 16570 M+ series (3186 calibre) as another GMT option. How would you rate a 16570 black dial Exp 2 versus a 16710 with a Coke Bezel? From a movement POV I think it wil be easier (and perhaps cheaper) to find an 16570 Exp 2 with a 3186 calibre than a 16710 GMT, but I am not sure whether it will dress up as well.:unsure: Thoughts?

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 10, 2016

I've had both and eventually sold the explorer. I miss it a little but kept a Daytona in its place.

As far as comparison it's apples and oranges. Both are great watches but as much as the explorer screems tool, adventure, rough the GMT just falls into a different category and as long as you get a 16710 or later you can pretty much handle the same terrain as with an explorer. I have a 1675 and a 16710 and I am always surprised at how much they dress down and up. They just look right with a jacket or sports coat and look equally in place boating or at the beach. I'd be surprised if you try one on and don't feel the appeal immediately.

It's not the brand by the way, or the GMT function. It's the model. The Rolex GMT on any of its variants but specially on Pepsi and Coke and aluminum bezel and thinner cases is and forever will be the most iconic GMT you can have and one of the most iconic sports and mid level watches ever along with the speedie, the 5512/5513 etc. but specially if you already have one explorer 2. ( and I think the polar is the one to have) a GMT is a good addition. Plus if you really feel modest you can get an all black bezel and then you're really flying under the radar.

Another option for you on the GMT universe is go for a pilot from IWC. A vintage TZC (time zone coordinated) is a very good looking piece.

10. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2016

Thanks again for sharing your personal experience and watch journey:thumbsup:....I am still very much a newbie in this watch collecting hobby and still have so much to learn:) I will try to check out some 16710 3186 models (wiggle and crown tests) in an upcoming trip to New York:)

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 10, 2016

Let me know when you're coming , if I'm around I may be able to let you wear one for a day and see how they feel . I've done it for a couple of members with different watches and it saved them some money. Nothing like wearing out and about to really know. I always feel pressured at stores and can't settle my eye.

12. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Mar 10, 2016

tough to say, nomos is an up and coming brand with some fine work ... i have to sleep on it

13. Riviera Paradise Mar 10, 2016

Wow, wow, wow...what can I say...what an incredibly generous offer @Nobel Prize !!!:):):):):):)...I would be much too concerned though about accidentally damaging your watch to wear it for a day...I am very much the "anxious personality type" and having lived in Rio for many years...a bit paranoid about security/theft etc...I would love to just take a look at your GMTs and chat about watches over coffee/drinks perhaps?

I will be staying at a hotel address on 5th Avenue, almost on the corner of E59th, right in front of the Grand Army Plaza. It will be great to meet up with a fellow forum member...I am still waiting for a confirmation of a few business meetings (some have been delayed) so I don´t yet know if I will be over the during March or April.

I don´t want to abuse your watch knowledge expertise...but I would love to know of any stores you might recommend in NY for sourcing a good 16710 3186 and perhaps trading in the Orbis. Perhaps a good option might be for me to phone/make contact with these stores before I arrive?

I actually think you have created a great game plan with your Rollie GMT suggestion: I could flip the Deville Orbis for a GMT 16710 and then buy the Globemaster Blue Dial on the SS bracelet during 2016...so I would still have at least one blue dial Omega watch in my collection:)
    ROLCOKEMSER3.jpg
    20160215_164107.jpg

Cheers!

Edited Mar 10, 2016
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 10, 2016

I wouldn't know where you can trade or buy here. Plenty of stores around but ironIcally I've always bought out of state.

Let me know when you're coming if we an work it out we will.