Forums Latest Members
  1. jakey555 Nov 14, 2014

People might be starting to wonder why I'm posting on here one day about Speedmasters, another day Dynamics, another day seamasters.
    I'm trying to build a small and modest collection of 1970s Omegas. Nothing out of the ordinary, overly ostentatious or rare.Top of the pile for my collection though would be a Flightmaster if I can get one at the right money.
    I'm considering this one on ebay? Is there anything obviously and horrendously wrong with it?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Flightmaster-Chronograph-ST-145-0026-/171532012507?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. cristos71 Nov 14, 2014

Looks good to me having had a sympathetic restoration by STS. The original dial and hands are for me a must with these, service dials and hands just look too new and remove all character. I don´t think this one will go cheap though and expect it to top 2K UKP

3. photo500 Nov 14, 2014

It looks good although that case has had a lot of material removed in the refinishing. It won't be able to be machined again if it ever needs it.

4. Dogmann Nov 14, 2014

Hi Jakey555,

That is a very nice example and like cristos71 says I would expect the bidding on this to rise quite a bit near the end of the auction or you may get lucky with few bidders you never know.

@photo500

Why do you say it won't be able to be re finished again in the future? I have seen cases in far worse condition with big dents that have been micro welded to build them up and then refinished with the proper lapping machines to look mint. I was amazed at what could be achieved by the right skilled technician using the right tools.

Marc

5. photo500 Nov 14, 2014

Hi Mark,
    The main problem here is the height of the case. The crystal is now sitting up quite high, proud of the case. it's possible to see tiny parts of the rubber o ring in places. This means if the top of the case is machined down any further it will expose the slot in the crystal that holds the seal. While the whole top of the case might be able to be added to, I think it would be very difficult to do.

shaun hk likes this.
  6. cristos71 Nov 14, 2014

Not sure I agree with you here. The crystal always sits quite proud of the case. Here is my example which I'm sure hasn't been heavily refinished.
    2014-11-05 09.57.45.jpg

7. photo500 Nov 14, 2014

It's a little tricky to tell from that angle but this one seems to be sitting quite high too. The rubber seal is visible all the way around. Interestingly both this and the eBay one seem to have crystals without the bevel on the top edge. Perhaps that's adding to the effect.

Id expect it to look more like this with only the bevel sitting proud of the case with maybe a small amount of the vertical part visible if it's been machined.

[​IMG]

Or for a 145.013 like this (never machined)

[​IMG]