Forums Latest Members
  1. eatabagel Aug 31, 2018

Hi folks,
    On my C-case Constellation, I have an Omega 1040 "bricks" bracelet that's probably as old as the watch.

Understandably, parts that move a lot can weaken and break over time, no matter how careful you are with them. So today, while removing my watch, I heard something snap and found that one of the tubes that wrap around the "axles"-- I don't know what they're called --snapped. (see photos)

20180831_195607_HDR.jpg
    20180831_195646_HDR.jpg
    20180831_201412_HDR.jpg
    It's part of the stamped metal piece that folds into the clasp. I recovered the metal tube that broke off. My question is, is this something that can be welded/soldered back on by a jeweler? Or is the stamped portion something that can be easily replaced? Or can I take the stamped portion from another Omega bracelet that I have and replace this?

The part that broke is on an original Omega bracelet/clasp. Would value be affected if I get a piece from another non-Omega bracelet? Or is this even something people care about?

I'm fine with wearing the watch right now because I don't think the bracelet will undo itself while it's neatly folded into the clasp, so it's not an emergency.

Much thanks in advance for any tips I can get.

2. TexOmega Aug 31, 2018

spot weld

3. wsfarrell Aug 31, 2018

In order of best to worst scenarios:
    1. replace the entire bracelet with an identical one
    2. replace the entire bracelet with a similar Omega bracelet
    3. replace the entire bracelet with a similar non-Omega bracelet
    4. replace just that part of the clasp (I've never seen these for sale; you'd likely have to buy an entire bracelet to get that part)
    5. laser welding (risky on an area that small and which takes a lot of stress)

connieseamaster and eatabagel like this.
  4. Magnix Aug 31, 2018

If you want I think I have another bracelet part for you. Not with 1040 on it, but from Some other Omega bracelet. If it is the right size you can have it.

For the real watch nerd it Will Maybe make it a little less valuable, but think if you repair it, it Will be broken soon again...

eatabagel likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2018

Uh...nope!

Yep!

You could also find someone with a TIG/GTAW set-up, but this is pretty fiddly work for that, and they would likely burn through the clasp trying to weld it.

In theory, a welded joint is just as strong as the base metal, so laser welding could be quite strong, but it would come down to the skill of the person doing the work.

Cheers, Al

eatabagel and wsfarrell like this.
  6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 1, 2018

If you can’t find a jeweler I have had excellent luck with laser welding from eyeglass repair shops.

eatabagel and wsfarrell like this.
  7. eatabagel Sep 1, 2018

Thanks everyone! I think I found a local jeweler who has a laser welder. I'll try them first. I also have another non 1040 Omega bracelet I'm not using. If the laser welder doesn't work out, I may just cannibalize my extra bracelet.

Dan S likes this.
  8. TexOmega Sep 1, 2018

Great, eatabagel.…..show some cool pix when you can of the repair.

I was a little brief with my answer, and it should go without saying to use a person with skill and a track record of excellence, but I failed to add that caveat.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2018

I probably should have elaborated - resistance welding (spot welding) is not really the process that would be used for a repair like this. That is more suited to fixing two flat pieces of material together, and no filler material is used in most cases (spot welding, projection welding, etc.).

I do recall in one shop class in high school, the teacher set one student across the hall to get some spots for the spot welder...had a good chuckle at that. One electrical teacher sent another out for a basket of ohms, and another was sent out to get a skyhook...:)

10. eatabagel Sep 19, 2018

Update! I got my bracelet back from the jeweler! But first... while the 1040 bracelet was being sorted out, I put my watch on another Omega bracelet-- the one that came with it when I purchased it from its previous owner. It is stamped "STAINLESS STEEL OMEGA" inside the clasp but doesn't have a model number stamped anywhere, so I don't know what it is. Looks like a 1171, but with gold plated center links. End links are stamped "77." With this bracelet, my watch looks like a proper granddaddy to the current yellow gold two-tone Globemaster.

IMG_20180913_162014_019.jpg

Hard to find anyone who does laser welding in the Monterey Bay Area in California. If you're willing to trek into the Santa Cruz Mountains, you can find Greg from Gembrokers. His shop used to be in downtown Santa Cruz, but after 40 years of operating his shop he is slowing down and decided to work closer to home. He does great work-- especially with his custom jewelry. I highly recommend him.

It looks like pretty solid work. He said that it welded pretty cleanly. The stainless steel that Omega used in the 1960s was of good enough quality that the weld held, and it may be as strong as it was originally, though I do not want to test it. There is definitely visual evidence of welding, but it's not too noticeable.

20180919_165309_HDR.jpg
    20180919_165238_HDR.jpg

simonsays likes this.
  11. Dan S Sep 19, 2018

He could have made more of an effort at grinding and polishing. The weld is quite obvious. Oh well, it's probably not visible when you wear the watch.

eatabagel likes this.