Forums Latest Members
  1. Matth84 Oct 6, 2019

Hi,

I went fishing this morning at a large watch fair and - against my expectations - it was a really good fair. I saw several Speedmasters, some too much polished, some with too much patina, Ed Whites for 11.000 euro (including rusty hands) and 145.012's for the same.

My eyes fell on a 145.022 from 1974 with:

- orginal bezel (which enjoyed a lot of sun)
    - clean dial
    - nice hands
    - correct caseback (outside and inside)
    - movement number which falls in accepted ranges
    - no papers, no box

The seller said he couldn't open the watch, but he didn't know I never leave home without mr. Pahawi's opener. So, I was very happy the seller was positive to open it with this tool and I could do a quick inspection. I am not a watchmaker, but I could see a movementnumber which falls in the accepted ranges and a movement with no remarkable points.

Negotiating was not very difficult, so this one (see photo) is from today mine. Happy!

Last but not least, I received some very positive feedback from several people on my opener, many thanks to the inventor.

Matth

SM.jpg

Etp095, card0s, DaveK and 11 others like this.
  2. Davidt Oct 6, 2019

Nice catch.

I haven't yet bought a watch at a fair, something I'll hopefully rectify at some point.

It's worth pointing out that at least the hour hand (and judging by the matching patina) but possibly all three main hands have been replaced as the hour hand isn't correct for a "mk 1" Speedmaster.

Matth84 likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 6, 2019

Killer ghost bezel!

Matth84 likes this.
  4. vienna Oct 7, 2019

Looks very pleasing, congrats!
    kind regards Max

Matth84 likes this.
  5. jolyon Oct 22, 2019

Oh what a find. Always wanted a ghost bezel!