Forums Latest Members

First Zenith and a question about NSA bracelet sizing

1. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 2, 2015

Hello, I recently acquired the vintage Zenith I'd been eyeing for quite some time, the 01-0200-415 blue "TV" El Primero. It arrived several weeks ago, then had to go immediately back for some mechanical work. In fact I sent it back for that service the same day @Gavin posted about his black TV dial EP, which made me miss it all the more!

Anyway, now it's back and running smoothly. Such a fantastic watch that really exudes quality.

Question: it came on the NSA bracelet and fits ok but just a little snug. The seller included several extra links and I'd like to add one. Is this a job that can be done myself with the pin end of a springbar tool? Or should I just take it in somewhere? Thanks!

EP.jpg

IMG_6648.JPG

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 2, 2015

You need a little more force to knock the pins in and out of an NSA band that I would be able to comfortably apply with a springbar tool. However, you can certainly do it yourself using something like the Bergeon Pin remover kit and a mallet (Bergeon 6744)

Andy K likes this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 2, 2015

Thanks, I appreciate the response. Don't have anything like that so I'll take it to the local jeweler.

4. wristpirate Oct 4, 2015

I acquired a mid 70's zenith with NSA band a few months back. Mine had all the links on the bracelet so I found it too loose and wanted to remove a few. I purchased the Bergeon 6744 Watch Bracelet Pin Remover - HB6744 and a Bergeon 1447 Boxwood Mallet - HM1447. As LouS says the NSA bracelet requires a lot of force to push one of the pins. Maybe a metal mallet would have been better than the wooden one I've got. I soon gave up in fear of damaging the bracelet and instead took it to a department store watch repairer. I watched as he used a metal mallet with reasonable force and then also had to use pliers to pull out the pin as the pins on the tool aren't long enough to fully force out the pins in the bracelet.

Since then I've been able to use the Bergeon kit to remove pins from other bracelets, just not the NSA!

Andy K likes this.
  5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 4, 2015

That it requires force is probably a good sign. I've noticed that the bracelet has almost no stretch which is great for a 40+ year old watch.

6. wristpirate Oct 5, 2015

I got mine in NOS condition so can't comment on how it will look in 40 years, but so far it looks pretty much as new. It feels like a quality item, and I'm sure it will last a long time. I really like the "spring" part of the bracelet which stretches next to the clasp, this helps when taking the watch off or also when its a hot day and my wrist expands a bit then so does the bracelet!

7. fredouille78 Dec 12, 2016

Hi, I'm looking for this particular NSA bracelet to buy or exchange with the chatelain one. Mine is in mint condition, but I have a very small wrist so it does not fit well. If someone is interessed please contact me ! :)