Forums Latest Members
  1. JamesHRucker Feb 15, 2014

Hello, I am new to the forum and was hoping the community here could help me in my search for a vintage Omega.

I've spent several hours reading and searching but I haven't had any luck getting guidance on what the more common/typical omegas are. Is there a guide somewhere that I'm missing?

I just finished college and work for an accounting firm. I would like to get a classic Omega with a brown leather strap for around 500 and I don't want to spend 3 months searching. What are some good models/reference points or is my price range much too low? I like the look of the 1960s devilles and the seamaster 600s. something simple and unadorned. Thanks for your help!

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 15, 2014

Have a look at the For Sale thread here.

3. Togri Feb 15, 2014

Yes, check out the watch sales here. You sometimes need to spend some time if you want a certain watch from a place like this. Otherwise you can buy one at a retail store and pay perhaps double of the price when you buy from a private seller.

Also browse the older "for sale" threads. Several watches from older threads are still not sold

4. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2014

$500 is the low end of vintage Omega. A good Seamaster from the 60's (even a Seamaster DeVille) will run at least $600. As mentioned, our own sales forum is one of the best places to score a correct, nice specimen for a fair price.

5. JamesHRucker Feb 15, 2014

Ok great I'll look there.

Im mostly looking for information on what is connoted by an automatic or a constellation. The difference between a seamaster and a speedmaster. The 1950s vs the 1960 vs the 1970s Omegas, ect. I've looked for books on amazon but the all seem to be collections of rare watches. I'm looking for a place to learn about the basics, I don't just want to buy a watch I want to know about it and its relatives.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 15, 2014

Short answers here. All mechanical watches are powered by a mainspring. A manual wind watch is a lot like the old "wind-up" toys you probably had as a kid. You wind it up, it runs for a while, then runs down and you have to wind it up again. An automatic watch uses the natural motion of your wrist to turn a rotor that winds the mainspring. It doesn't need to be wound every day.

The Constellation is the flagship dress watch of the Omega line. It's been made since 1952. Almost all are automatic watches, although beginning in the late 1960's Omega added turning fork electric and later, quartz versions.

The classic Speedmaster Moonwatch is a manual-wind chronograph, while the classic Seamaster was one of Omega's first waterproof automatic watches. Both lines have evolved over the years and now have dozens of models each, so you will need to be more specific in your question.

I would recommend a couple of websites:

http://old-omegas.com/

There are several dozen old catalogs and instruction books here. Mostly information contemporaneously published by Omega.

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Mostly devoted to Constellations, but there are literally hundreds of articles and pictures here. You'll have hours of reading, before you ever get to the first outside link (be sure to scroll down and look to your right).

Once you read all of this, go to eBay, find some things that look interesting to you (please don't bid on anything yet -- you're not ready to play the game yet). Post the links here and we'll let you know if you've stumbled on to something.

Good to see a fellow accountant here,
    gatorcpa

Señor ruiz and ChrisN like this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 15, 2014

8. JamesHRucker Feb 15, 2014

Gator,

Thank you for the I depth reply!

The automatic terminology now makes sense. I am definitely leaning toward a watch that needs to be wound. Is that a foolish leaning?

Ok, so the constellation is the flagship watch. I visited the omega website and that makes sense.

I now understand the speedmaster vs seamaster difference. Now what is the line of deville watches? As I seem to remember seamaster devilles, but on the website those are now different lines?

Also, most all of the omegas I have seen are automatic, besides the speedmaster, what models are manual? I have seen seamaster 600s without the automatic insignia, so are those manual winding?

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 15, 2014

Not at all. They are simpler to service when that time comes.

What time period are we talking about? The original Seamaster DeVille was a line of mostly lower priced Omegas most of which have a one-piece case with the movement removed from the front. Starting in the late 1960's the Devilles started slowly splitting off from the Seamasters. Today, there is no overlap between the two at all.

Again, what time period? Today, only the Speedmasters are manual. Well, maybe some of the stopwatches and special edition pocketwatches, but these aren't seen outside of the Boutiques anyway.

Yes, that's a good tell for the earlier watches. The vintage automatic Omegas are usually marked as such on the dial. No marking, and it's almost certain to be manual.

If you look at the catalogs on the old-omegas website, you'll get a better idea of what I mean.
    gatorcpa

10. ulackfocus Feb 15, 2014

Yes. If Omega, Longines, IWC, or most any vintage watch doesn't say AUTOMATIC on the dial it's a manual wind caliber.

11. Hijak Feb 15, 2014

This on is cal. 611 hand wind...

Wrist Shot.JPG

12. JamesHRucker Feb 15, 2014

Wow that's some good information on old-omegas.com! That definitely helps see the typical styles of the time as well as understand the different terminology that was used.

Hijak, that's a great looking watch! Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for! Now to my understanding, the 600s originated in the early 70s?

Also, any specifics I should keep in mind when looking at the 600s? Are they often faked or made into frankenwaches?

I found these these two 600s on eBay, what would be a good price on one of these?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301096122066?nav=SEARCHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://m.ebay.com/itm/371002759075?nav=SEARCHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Also, what is the purpose and name of the little swirls on the inside of the case back?

Finally I am partial to the look of the unishell seamasters, are all of them automatics?

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 15, 2014

First one - No movement pic but it doesn't look too bad - would need to see more of the insides and a decent dial shot. Maybe up to USD$400?

Second one - A concoction of a movement, rather tired, dial is a bad redial, I wouldn't touch it.

The swirls are called perlage

http://www.watchtime.com/reference-center/glossary/perlage/#

The unishells are nice and because they are difficult to open, a lot of watch tinkerers have been prevented from playing around.

The same rules apply though, research, consultation and verification, you must maintain due diligence.

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 15, 2014

Sorry, forgot some pics to keep you going :D

600 Dial.jpg

Geneve_Dial.jpg

15. JamesHRucker Feb 15, 2014

Ah perlage, so its purely decorative? I assumed it had some significant function.

Thanks for your thoughts! So as for the second one, what are some teltale signs? For instance, how can you tell it is a redial and what do you mean by the movement being a concoction and tired? (excuse the newbie, trying to learn)

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 15, 2014

The movement in the second one bears may scratch marks and I don't think the wheel train bridge matches the rest of the movement.

The crystal has some deep nicks that have been polished but not properly, thus the bubbly look around the edges.

The dial is nice and shiny, too much so for a watch that age and with a movement condition like that one.

The Seamaster font is too heavy and the 600 is too small and the wrong font.

The Omega font is too heavy and doesn't have the correct serrifs.

The serial number dates the watch to 1966/1967, I don't think the coathanger "S" was still in use at this time.

In fact, it's almost a contender for our "Worst re-dials" thread (IMO).

The case is worn and has been over polished.

The case reference shows a different watch to that offered for sale (see below).

These are my observations and I'm willing to be corrected or educated on any of those points.

Cheers

Jim

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 2.13.32 pm.png

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 15, 2014

I just noticed it comes from the Philippines. Treat any watch from tropical environments with double the attention you would normally apply.

People sweat in these climates, sweat (salty moisture) can cause excessive corrosion and can penetrate into the movement if seals are not waterproof.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 15, 2014

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2014

Spend some time reading the WRUW thread too btw, lots of interesting pieces to see, and find what you like

20. JamesHRucker Feb 15, 2014

WOW! I'm glad I asked, what an impressive observation!

That's funny, I was actually looking at just that watch! It's a very nice piece but I think I'm going to try to hold out for a bit and find a manual watch if possible.

Dsio, would you please post a link to the WRUW thread, I'm not sure where that is. Thanks.