First vintage watch

So if you were me (completely new to this), you would wait for one to come up on the UK market in good condition and the right price? I’d obviously love to buy one soon, but I’d prefer to wait for the right one. If anyone comes across anything that sounds like what I’m looking for (Seamaster, silver, 565, good condition dial, original and not much polish, UK seller ideally), I’d be hugely appreciative if you could drop me a message privately or in this thread.

Patience is a virtue and virtue is a grâce. And Grâce is a little girl that never washes her face

@hc9090

Welcome aboard.

A few thoughts!

First, read this,

Second, as said above buying here from UK based seller is a sound idea.

Third, eBay is a viper pit, have a look at local to you auction houses that you can visit and assess. As an example, I live near Gardner Houlgate,

https://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/

Happy hunting.

@hc9090

Welcome aboard.

A few thoughts!

First, read this,

Second, as said above buying here from UK based seller is a sound idea.

Third, eBay is a viper pit, have a look at local to you auction houses that you can visit and assess. As an example, I live near Gardner Houlgate,

https://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/

Happy hunting.
Thank you! Weirdly enough I was just thinking about auction houses. My local one is in Islington, so will have a look today. The commission is pretty large though.

I’d say bricks and mortar auctions are little better than eBay. Many houses sell fakes and even with the genuine ones they often no idea what is correct and what’s a franken. There’s also no warranty and generally 30% fees in the UK.

I’d browse eBay/auction houses but ask here before you buy and keep an eye on private sales and the recommended eBay thread. I’m in the UK and have sold several nice dress Seamasters but don’t currently have anything I’m looking to sell.

Thank you, that makes sense. It's not so much the web presence that gives me peace of mind, but rather the recent service and the 12-month guarantee.

For example, if I were to find a similar version for $700, which seems to be what you think it's worth, and then purchase and import it to the UK, I would need to add approximately 30% for VAT and duty. That would bring the cost to around $900. Including delivery, which might be about $100, the total would be approximately $1,000. On top of that, I'd likely need to budget for a service, as most listings at this price point don’t seem to have any service records. That could be another £500 or so. Which ends up being a similar price to the web listing.

Am I missing something?
Yes, IMO you are missing something, there's a reason that experienced collectors don't buy watches the way you're proposing to do it. There is little upside to buying a mediocre, common vintage Omega for 3x its value from an unknown quantity who claims it is serviced. I know that you want to talk yourself into it because it's the easy path, but you should go into it with your eyes open. Another elephant in the room is that out of all the possible references you could have chosen, the watches you have posted are either utilitarian or unappealing, IMO. Taking more time to develop your eye could help you choose an example that will suit you better in the long run.

The service/warranty are only as good as the seller. You may think that they are reputable because they have a fancy website, but that's a beginner's mindset. Many of these internet sellers lie about a service (or have a half-hearted service performed) and offer a warranty gambling that the watch will survive a year, which it usually does. If the watch stops working, they may send it back to the watchmaker and ask them to do the minimum to get it working again. More experienced collectors usually prefer to have the watch serviced by a watchmaker of their choice, who will do a thorough job and provide a warranty that means something.

In your place, I would take more time to understand the nuances of vintage Omega, which will probably result in an evolution of your taste, and an upgrade from the references that you have selected. You might also join a watch enthusiast group locally, so that you can handle and experience some vintage watches in person. Then you can wait patiently to buy a good example from a collector or auction (in the UK or elsewhere), and have it serviced by a recommended independent watchmaker. If you don't have the patience and just want to pay an extra thousand to get a watch immediately, then so be it. But you should at least consider buying from a seller in the UK who gets good firsthand feedback from forum members, and I have read a number of recommendations in previous threads.

Yes, IMO you are missing something, there's a reason that experienced collectors don't buy watches the way you're proposing to do it. There is little upside to buying a mediocre, common vintage Omega for 3x its value from an unknown quantity who claims it is serviced. I know that you want to talk yourself into it because it's the easy path, but you should go into it with your eyes open. Another elephant in the room is that out of all the possible references you could have chosen, the watches you have posted are either utilitarian or unappealing, IMO. Taking more time to develop your eye could help you choose an example that will suit you better in the long run.

The service/warranty are only as good as the seller. You may think that they are reputable because they have a fancy website, but that's a beginner's mindset. Many of these internet sellers lie about a service (or have a half-hearted service performed) and offer a warranty gambling that the watch will survive a year, which it usually does. If the watch stops working, they may send it back to the watchmaker and ask them to do the minimum to get it working again. More experienced collectors usually prefer to have the watch serviced by a watchmaker of their choice, who will do a thorough job and provide a warranty that means something.

In your place, I would take more time to understand the nuances of vintage Omega, which will probably result in an evolution of your taste, and an upgrade from the references that you have selected. You might also join a watch enthusiast group locally, so that you can handle and experience some vintage watches in person. Then you can wait patiently to buy a good example from a collector or auction (in the UK or elsewhere), and have it serviced by a recommended independent watchmaker. If you don't have the patience and just want to pay an extra thousand to get a watch immediately, then so be it. But you should at least consider buying from a seller in the UK who gets good firsthand feedback from forum members, and I have read a number of recommendations in previous threads.
Thank you for your thoughts, it sounds like you've had a lot of experience - so I'm grateful for your response. However, when you say 'utilitarian or unappealing', this is surely subjective in the same way some might prefer minimalist brutalist architecture and some might prefer classical. Personally I prefer an understated, somewhat minimalist look, over something more ornate or flashy. I'd be very interested in what kind of examples at that kind of price point you'd consider, and the reasons why.

Thank you for your thoughts, it sounds like you've had a lot of experience - so I'm grateful for your response. However, when you say 'utilitarian or unappealing', this is surely subjective in the same way some might prefer minimalist brutalist architecture and some might prefer classical. Personally I prefer an understated, somewhat minimalist look, over something more ornate or flashy. I'd be very interested in what kind of examples at that kind of price point you'd consider, and the reasons why.
Yes it is a matter of taste, but you have chosen one very entry-level slim-but-utilitarian case and one bloated bulbous no-bezel case that most people find unappealing. In the context of 60s Seamasters, you could hardly have chosen two watches that are more extremely different and the fact that you have grouped them together under "understated and minimalist" suggests to me that you might benefit from more study. I think I prefer pretty much every other 60s Seamaster reference to those two, including many in that seller's inventory. If you take some time to look around, you will hopefully start to recognize the distinctions.
Edited:

Yes it is a matter of taste, but you have chosen one very entry-level slim-but-utilitarian case and one bloated bulbous no-bezel case that most people find unappealing. In the context of 60s Seamasters, you could hardly have chosen two watches that are more extremely different and the fact that you have grouped them together under "understated and minimalist" suggests to me that you might benefit from more study. I think I prefer pretty much every other 60s Seamaster reference to those two, including many in that seller's inventory. If you take some time to look around, you will hopefully start to recognize the distinctions.
Happy for something to be entry level, after all, it's my first one! I prefer the first one. To clarify, I refer to them being understated in the broader context of watches. Relatively speaking at least.

Looking through the past couple of months UK sales pages, I came across this one (very different from other two I've posted, but I like very much). Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

1831746-7dae20b7049e41fe111472f70631b692.webp

Happy for something to be entry level, after all, it's my first one! I prefer the first one. To clarify, I refer to them being understated in the broader context of watches. Relatively speaking at least.

Looking through the past couple of months UK sales pages, I came across this one (very different from other two I've posted, but I like very much). Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

1831746-7dae20b7049e41fe111472f70631b692.webp
Great watch, but extremely different from the 60s Seamasters you posted above. Perfect size, beautiful case, no-date, hand-winding movement. The 2639 came in a variety of dial styles, and there is also a center-second reference in the same case, the ref 2640.

omega_2639_2640-2.jpeg

Would you say it is a fair price, and anything you'd be concerned about? Would it be expensive to service? Thanks again

Would you say it is a fair price, and anything you'd be concerned about? Would it be expensive to service? Thanks again
It wouldn't be any more expensive to service than any other vintage Omega, and there are plenty of watchmakers in the UK that could do it. If you run a search, you will find recommendations.

While it's technically allowed to discuss pricing outside of the sales listing, you might ask yourself why any member would be interested in doing so publicly in this particular scenario.