First vintage watch

Hello - I'm new here and apologies in advance for not knowing very much.

I'm looking to buy my first vintage watch. I like the style of the 60s seamaster dress watches.

Would you have any recommendations in terms of movements or particular variations that would be a good place to start.

Having done some browsing, I've been thinking about these two -

https://authenticwatchco.co.uk/prod...ic-vintage-mens-watch-1964-serviced-warranty/
https://authenticwatchco.co.uk/prod...vintage-mens-watch-1969-serviced-warranty-21/

Do they seem reasonably priced? I've also been having a look at the sales pages on this forum.

Thank you in advance for any advice or recommendations.

Try theJapanese market: they believe they made those seamasters goldplated when they re in fact gold capped. A mate of mine scores one like that

Both watches are significantly overpriced. Stick with the offerings in the private watch sales forum on OF.

This one is nice but is listed at 3 times it's value. It is really important to post photos, not links. I paid $450 USD for the second watch in similar condition, but I could see it going for as much as $800 USD. There are plenty of forum members on your side of the pond. Scroll down until you see a price in sterling. Watch the private watch sales on this site. The site you listed makes most dealers seem like a bargain.
Deville.webp

Thank you - noted re links.

I knew there would be a premium, but didn't think it would be 3 times! A 12 month warranty and recent service is surely worth something?

So would you say the first one is only worth £480 and the second one £500 ($650)? I will have a better look on this forum, but so far I haven't seen any with dials that look in as good condition (maybe just the photos)?

I knew there would be a premium, but didn't think it would be 3 times! A 12 month warranty and recent service is surely worth something?

So would you say the first one is only worth £480 and the second one £500? I will have a better look on this forum, but so far I haven't seen any with dials that look in as good condition (maybe just the photos)?
Buy thé seller first and don't get stuck on a model. Références here are easy to look up. And you might create a bond. Buy here: it's trustworthy which in your case is rather important.
Btw: I have an hc châssis Mazda, any corrélation with your username?

So would you say the first one is only worth £480 and the second one £500 ($650)? I will have a better look on this forum, but so far I haven't seen any with dials that look in as good condition (maybe just the photos)?
If I understand what I have seen on the forum, UK pricing on Vintage Omegas are about 30% higher than US prices. Many limit their buying to the UK, as buying from the EU and the US often incurs high customs duties. Maybe a UK member can chime in. The price of a service is typically not recovered when selling a watch. Most members factor in the price of a service, even if the seller claims it has been done. Always ask for receipts when that claim is made. Also if you have a relationship with a watchmaker, have them inspect the watch before purchasing.
Edited:

If I understand what I have seen on the forum, UK pricing on Vintage Omegas are about 30% higher than US prices. Many limit their buying to the UK, as buying from the EU and the US often incurs high customs duties. Maybe a UK member can chime in.
Thank you - I was wondering about that. If anyone can recommend any trustworthy UK sellers on here. I tried to search the sale pages for '£' without much success.

Btw: I have an hc châssis Mazda, any corrélation with your username?
Sadly nothing as exciting!

Sadly nothing as exciting!
Ok, take Care and Remember: on this site there are passionnate People, salesmen usually arent and make empty promises

on this site there are passionnate People
This was why I joined. I'm new to this, and seemed like a good place to start. I have a rough idea on what I'm looking for (style wise), but not very much on all the other stuff! Hopefully will find something one with a good automatic movement (maybe the 565?), parts that haven't been replaced or polished too much, and a dial that's in reasonably good condition. Would also prefer to have a date, but not essential.

I did a eBay search and prices appear to be more than 30% higher than the US. It may be worth researching how much customs duties are and looking abroad. I did see one that looked ok, The crown is wrong though. You should factor in the price of a service. A lot of member have good things to say about Simon Freese. This one may be worth a look: Seamaster. I would recommend taking your time and watching the private sales on here frequently. I do, and see nice stuff from the UK all the time.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I did a eBay search and prices appear to be more than 30% higher than the US. It may be worth researching how much customs duties are and looking abroad. I did see one that looked ok, The crown is wrong though. You should factor in the price of a service. A lot of member have good things to say about Simon Freese. This one may be worth a look: Seamaster. I would recommend taking your time and watching the private sales on here frequently. I do, and see nice stuff from the UK all the time.
Thank you. Sounds like good advice. The one on eBay looks nice, but I'm looking for a silver case rather than gold. I'm also not keen on inscriptions on the back. It makes me wonder if the links I sent originally are actually too bad value, given the service and the price difference between US and UK.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I did a eBay search and prices appear to be more than 30% higher than the US.
There’s a pretty good reason for that.

1. UK prices generally include VAT, which I think runs about 22%. I have never had a UK dealer offer a lower price on a watch for export to the US, although VAT should not apply to goods shipped outside of the country. Casual sales between collectors are likely a different matter.

2. US prices generally do not include sales or use taxes which run anywhere between 0% to 12%, depending on where you live.

Add it up and you should be close to 30% on average.

gatorcpa

I don't see any issues with those watches, both are common models. Dealers and retailers frequently ask 2x-3x what a collector would consider fair market value. But if you want a watch immediately, and buying from a seller with a web presence makes you comfortable, it's not our business to tell you what to do with your money. Personally, I have no knowledge of this particular dealer, and can't remember them being mentioned previously on the forum.

Thank you, that makes sense. It's not so much the web presence that gives me peace of mind, but rather the recent service and the 12-month guarantee.

For example, if I were to find a similar version for $700, which seems to be what you think it's worth, and then purchase and import it to the UK, I would need to add approximately 30% for VAT and duty. That would bring the cost to around $900. Including delivery, which might be about $100, the total would be approximately $1,000. On top of that, I'd likely need to budget for a service, as most listings at this price point don’t seem to have any service records. That could be another £500 or so. Which ends up being a similar price to the web listing.

Am I missing something?

Thank you, that makes sense. It's not so much the web presence that gives me peace of mind, but rather the recent service and the 12-month guarantee.

For example, if I were to find a similar version for $700, which seems to be what you think it's worth, and then purchase and import it to the UK, I would need to add approximately 30% for VAT and duty. That would bring the cost to around $900. Including delivery, which might be about $100, the total would be approximately $1,000. On top of that, I'd likely need to budget for a service, as most listings at this price point don’t seem to have any service records. That could be another £500 or so. Which ends up being a similar price to the web listing.

Am I missing something?
Someone can help you find a watch maker who will service for way less than 500quid. 12 month warranty on what exactly? You should always service a watch before fréquent use. You are right about thé vat though

The issue with UK pricing is that if a buyer imports a watch to the UK, import duty/customs are due which tend to runs around 22-28% depending on the value and carrier.
This wasn’t so bad before Brexit, as we at least had the EU market duty free. As this ain’t the case I’d say UK prices now runs around 20% higher than US. Demand and currency fluctuations also impact.

I always think with a vintage watch you can chose two of the following but rarely all three:
1. Good quality/condition
2. Good price.
3. Available now.

I always chose options 1 and 2 and wait out for a good watch at a good price. If you must have a seamaster immediately it’s likely you’ll have to compromise on quality or pay a premium.

Keep an eye on the recommended eBay thread. UK watches occasionally get linked there.

Incidentally, some of the Japanese eBay sellers (eg Closer) sometimes have nice watches whose prices still make sense, even with uk duties added. However, they also have a lot of crap and it’s a time consuming task that requires experience to separate the wheat from the chaff