Forums Latest Members
  1. 850csi Jul 15, 2016

Got this pretty purportedly 1960ish Seamaster for my wife. It's in pretty great condition - almost too pristine for a 50 year old watch. What say you, folks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caseback & movement shot from the seller:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any concerns? I know the cal. 471 is one of the oldest auto movements, but it should be fine if taken care of I think?

Thanks!

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 15, 2016

The green paint on the markers screams redial but just when I think I can spot 'em someone comes along and proves me wrong.

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 15, 2016

Certainly is a redial as there were no green dialled Seamasters in the early 60s. Cal 471 is a robust movement and precursor to the 500 series. Fewer jewels and hence the need for a stricter service regime and known click wear in the auto winding system, particularly on neglected examples.

Cheers

Desmond

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 15, 2016

Yay! I'm getting better.

5. 850csi Jul 15, 2016

Thanks! Thought it might be a redial. How much is something like this worth in light of that? We'll definitely pay a little more attention to the movement to make sure it's running fine - I imagine getting these serviced is not particularly expensive?

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 15, 2016

Hard to say wit any degree of exactitude what it's worth, but probably a couple of hundred to three hundred dollars, more if it was marketed to the "New_Old" segment. A clean and oil should cost around 150 - 200 in the US but you need to source a good independent watchmaker who knows his way around vintage Omegas. Forget about jewellers or official Omega service centres.

7. Tritium Jul 16, 2016

It really bothers me, seeing Sergio Ramos around here :p

Banner Roar and VanDamme like this.