Forums Latest Members
  1. RIGG Jul 16, 2017

Kind of new to this forum. Sorry for the broken english :)

I thought it be fun to share some pictures of my first vintage Rolex purchase: 5513 MF -68.

Bracelet has some stretch and I plan to fix it. Other than that I am completely happy with it!

Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ATWG Jul 16, 2017

Looks great, congrats!

3. RIGG Jul 16, 2017

Thank you! First I thought about replacing the missing pearl but now I just think it adds character.

4. ICONO Jul 16, 2017

Looks terrific !! - Great example

Leave the pearl…until / if you sell it again

RIGG likes this.
  5. RIGG Jul 16, 2017

Think it will be a keeper. But I felt that for most of my watches the first week on the wrist!

About the pearl replacement. It would not feel really honest with just a random pearl that matches the patina. Would have to scout s tritium pearl from the 60s... that could take time and luck!

6. jimmyd13 Jul 16, 2017

Don't go to all that trouble, the bezel is later anyway.

7. RIGG Jul 16, 2017

Are you sure?

8. jimmyd13 Jul 16, 2017

Yes - it should be the fat font for that year - compare the 4 and 5 on this one:

161_5.jpg

frazierspa, Dash1 and RIGG like this.
  9. RIGG Jul 16, 2017

Ok thank you. Gotta find me one of those!

10. jimmyd13 Jul 16, 2017

They do come up for sale but they're not cheap and they're not easy to find. I spent years looking for an all original example until I got mine last year. Still, it's always good to find a watch like this and make it all correct again ... it puts a little bit of your soul into it.

Wear it in good health.

smitty190373 and RIGG like this.
  11. RIGG Jul 16, 2017

If I get lucky and find a time correct bezel. Will it be condidered "all original" even though that bezel did not come with the watch when purchased the first time? My 7206 bracelet is also not the original one. I tracked the code on the clasp to 1967.

12. jimmyd13 Jul 16, 2017

Now that's a debate in and of itself. What parts does a watch have to retain to be considered "original" and what parts can be forgiven and considered "consumables" where replaced?

If we're talking dress watches, I think that you can't forgive (m)any replacements.

When it comes to tool watches, we might be more forgiving of crowns, bezels and bracelets.

All of the above changes with exceptionally rare pieces. I'm more likely to forgive a replacement bezel on something known to have been originally fitted with a very fragile Bakelite bezel ... though the original, in whatever condition, is preferable. With the aluminium bezels, I think you have to have the correct one ... a good replacement is going to cost you over $2000, just be thankful you're not looking for a really good DON.

As I said, I spent a long time looking for mine (the one pictured above) and it's all original except for the hands which are probably 5-10 years younger than the watch (going on their look and the slight difference in lume). I was wearing it yesterday (and now, actually) and someone asked if I would sell it. When I said it's just not for sale, they offered me £14,000 .... I said no thanks.

Anyway, going back to your question, if you have a '67 Fastback but the rear axle's wrong .... does it make your car unoriginal if you find the correct rear axle and replace it? I'd say that's a similar example. Changing the engine is totally different and is like changing the movement in a watch. The gearbox, chassis, engine are parts that have to be correct. Body panels, wheels, axles are nice to have as original but if they're not it's not a deal breaker. Everything else is a consumable and expected to have worn and been replaced.

I wouldn't fixate on getting a replacement but it would be lovely to have it right.

There's no reason to think that a bracelet made in 67 isn't correct for a watch that dates to 68. First, these things sit around before being sold or being assembled. Besides, my limited understanding of Rolex serial numbers is that no-one's totally sure which numbers relate to which year. Mine is marked IV/67 but the serial number probably puts it in 68 ... that's not a worry.

frazierspa, Dash1 and RIGG like this.
  13. Oku Jul 16, 2017

Sorry to ask again. There are many examples out there from that year (1.9 million range) that have the OP's bezel.
    Could you provide a source that states which kind of bezel is correct for which year?
    Thanks in advance!

14. jimmyd13 Jul 16, 2017

The simple answer is no. I don't know anywhere (online) that has worked out exactly which bezel is correct for which model in which year. The best I can offer is something like this https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=232041&highlight=fat+font+bezel where (if you go through it all) each 5513 meters first (so late 66 to 68) with an original bezel has the MkI/III version. It doesn't help that even the nomenclature changes depending who you're talking to.

There's a good visual guide here: http://www.vintagehour.com/visual-comparison-a-study-of-rolex-bezel-inserts/

The 5513 was made from the mid 60s to the late 80s (can't remember the actual dates from memory) and the bezels changed over that time so it's hardly surprising to find many 60's models with later bezels. I suspect most of the ones I see for sale have later replacements and many of those ads admit that the bezels are later.

Oku likes this.
  15. ibracadabra Jul 16, 2017

Wow amazing watch!

RIGG likes this.
  16. omitohud Jul 16, 2017

Congrats and welcome. That's a nice watch, but like Jimmy said the insert is much later, along with the crystal and possible the hands, they had been replaced maybe during service. Not a big deal considering it's a 50 yr old watch. If you want everything to b period correct, expect to spend over 3k depending on condition. The crystal supposed to b domed like mine below. Original Rolex t19 super dome is practically unobtainable unless u want aftermarket part. As for hands, to find the matching patina would b require patience n lots of money. The inserts r plenty but again command ridiculous dinero nowadays. For ur watch, u need kissing 4 like the one on mine or long 5 in the second picture. Enjoy n wear in good health.
    IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_9225.JPG

17. omitohud Jul 16, 2017

There are many conflicting observations out there as nobody can b 100% certain due to the fact that Rolex do not share their records to the public. That said, the consensus is that kissing 4 (the 4 n 0 in 40 r touching) n long 5 (as opposed to square on all vintage variations) r used until 1969. The other 2 variety r the serif 4 n soft 4 used until late 70's. These r all considered fat font. Hope this helps.

18. jsg1976 Jul 17, 2017

Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy!

RIGG likes this.
  19. RIGG Jul 17, 2017

Thank you @jimmyd13 and @omitohud for the extensive information.

Is it possible to identify the version of my crystal by these pics? Looks T19 to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My serial is 1.7M

frazierspa likes this.
  20. RIGG Jul 17, 2017

Took some pics to evaluate the hands as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

watch3s likes this.