Forums Latest Members

First trip to Hong Kong, Jan 15 - 22, Seeking Travel Tips

1. repoman Dec 11, 2016

I"m going on business, but, I will have a couple nights and 2 days free to explore and roam about. Seeking advice on things to see, do, any possible meetup's, and of course, watch shopping.

TheCaptainOfTech likes this.
  2. TheCaptainOfTech Dec 11, 2016

gemini4 and repoman like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 11, 2016

Fun city .. take the funicular to the top of the mountain. Killer view. Cantonese food is fantastic... been there a few times .... never did any shopping but there is lots. Don't buy any fake merchandise.

repoman likes this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 11, 2016

Berne Horology (Kowloon)
    Vintage Concept (Central)
    P and F Watches (Mong Kok) plus look around the arcade.

All vintage is VERY expensive.

Google to see if there is a watch Show in the Holiday Inn while you are there.

JohnSteed and repoman like this.
  5. WurstEver Dec 11, 2016

repoman likes this.
  6. repoman Dec 12, 2016

Great recommendations guys, thank you. I will definitely hit Sams on my first day and get a suit (or two) made while I'm there. Watch shopping will permeate the week, and I've got all day Saturday and 1/2 day Sunday to explore and shop. Now I'm thinking I should add a couple more days ;-)

TheCaptainOfTech and Jwit like this.
  7. Bumper Dec 12, 2016

I used to go to Champagne court @ 16 Kimberly Road in Kowloon, used to have a couple of vintage shops there...

repoman likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 12, 2016

Great city.

Spacefruit's recommendations are spot on.

I've been to Berne Horology, and yes, you'll pay top dollar for vintage there; ... he has quite a selection. Have yet to make it to the other places.

I'll second the trip to The Big Buddha, and also to top of the mountain over the city; they call it 'The Peak'. Both places have amazing views. Buddha is an all day trip, Peak a few hours, unless you wanna hike all the way to the top!

I will be there about one week after you leave, so please fill us in on the trip when you return :thumbsup:!

JohnSteed and repoman like this.
  9. JohnSteed Dec 12, 2016

Set a budget of course...Decide in advance what you'd prefer to spend against simply seeing. There's lots to see

PM me when you arrive

repoman likes this.
  10. aap Dec 12, 2016

So many cool things to do in HK, depending on what you like. They have the usual big, modern malls over at the HK side, and the smaller, quirkier places at Kowloon. I like going around Tsim Tsa Tsui in the Kowloon and exploring the place, entering buildings to find cool stores, etc. Food is also another great reason to visit HK. There have a lot of Michelin-starred restos (if that's your thing) and classic Chinese restos like Yung Kee, which is known for their roast goose. Enjoy!

dougiedude and repoman like this.
  11. repoman Dec 12, 2016

I, like several others around here (I'm not naming names) have had trouble with this in 2016. I'll try and do better in 2017.

absolutely will.

dougiedude and tpatta like this.
  12. JohnSteed Dec 12, 2016

No worries mate...sell your unmentionables (like I'm doing) to preserve the watch budget

A fitting re-post ...

IMG_2218.JPG

Jwit, dougiedude, tpatta and 2 others like this.
  13. mgfair Dec 23, 2016

repoman likes this.
  14. repoman Jan 21, 2017

Well... a funny thing happened in Hong Kong today. @JohnSteed and I managed to get together for a most enjoyable day, walking the streets of HK, having lunch at his club, sharing our passion for watch collecting, and before too long we stumble in a little vintage watch shop to look at an interesting Ed White. Well, about an hour later, I walked out with this little beauty:
    IMG_20170121_194505_220.jpg

145022-69, with sharp case, DoN bezel in great shape, beautiful dial and hands, clean 30M movement, 1039 bracelet with 516 endlinks.... I'm no expert in these 68 and 69 Speedies given how much change was happening then, but damn this one looked really good to me, and with some proper WIS friend enabling from Spencer, I'm bringing it home ::psy::

I want to thank @JohnSteed for his hospitality today in HK, showing a hapless American the really good stuff off the beaten track, and generally being such a fun person to be around while far away from home. I'll never forget this first trip to HK. :thumbsup:

Edited Jan 24, 2017
    Darlinboy, NT931, Dero13 and 8 others like this.
  15. Tbone Jan 21, 2017

That looks awesome! I'm finding this hobby connects people all over the world. Exactly what we need more of.

repoman, Jwit and Taddyangle like this.
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 21, 2017

Very nice, Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to another visit to HK of my own next weekend :).

If Spencer @JohnSteed is up to it again, maybe he'll show me a few of his favorite spots, too; or just let me handle a few of the beauties of his ::love:: that I've only seen in pictures :thumbsup:...

repoman and JohnSteed like this.
  17. JohnSteed Jan 21, 2017

Such a ::psy:: time seeing the look on the face of @repoman .... this was a find in the most unlikely place too

Congrats JOHN !!

repoman and Darlinboy like this.