Forums Latest Members
  1. THQ Mar 18, 2017

Hi all, now in my mid 30s, I have finally started earning enough money to afford a decent watch. I have always loved the omega seamasters since 007 wore them, and also like the design of speedies along with their NASA history.

I want to get both. The stainless steel cases and bands are just too heavy for me after trying them on (in my country I shift with my left hand). Therefore I am looking at the:

Seamaster Planet Ocean Titanium 600 M Co-Axial 42 mm Men's Watch 232.90.42.21.03.001
    and
    Speedmaster Racing Automatic Chronograph Black Dial Stainless Steel Men's Watch 326.32.40.50.01.001

My two favourite colours in terms of clothes, including suits, etc is dark blue and black (with white shirts), so these match them well and black and blue are very versatile and go with most outfits.

What are your thoughts on these watches?

Thanks.

23290422103001-301.jpg 240011960391446.jpg
  2. Jaacck Mar 18, 2017

Have a look at the regular speedmaster pro with the leather strap ( think its black as standard ) if you don't want the bracelet. I personally got the bracelet and then changed it for a strap as the bracelets cost a fortune to buy in the future if you ever want one.

Never been a huge fan of the speedy racing, seems wrong having a date on a 'speedmaster'

semper_shells likes this.
  3. lhawli Mar 18, 2017

I had the same issues with the POs so I opted for a SubC. As for the speedy, there is no other one I would own but the speedy PRO. I would also get it on SS bracelet and buy a leather strap for it.

4. THQ Mar 18, 2017

Thanks for the tip on the bracelet. I actually prefer the date for work.

5. THQ Mar 18, 2017

What same issues? Weight? What is a SubC. Sorry, you'll have to be patient with me.

Can you explain to a watch noob the main difference between speedy racing vs speedy pro? I prefer having the date for entries at work, the speedy racing detail on the subdials plus the fact that it's 1/3 cheaper and more water resistant. I don't really mind if it's slightly less accurate, if that's the main difference.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. lhawli Mar 18, 2017

Mainly thickness and the weight yes. Not a fan of blue so Ti was not an option for me. SubC = rolex submariner ceramic.

The speedy pro is the iconic speedmaster that was certified by NASA. It's powered by the famous caliber 1861 or 1863 (showcase back for the latter or in watch terminology sapphire sandwich). The lack of the date function is what makes the speedy pro so charming and symmetrical in dial layout. Look at the rolex Daytona also doesn't have a date window. Also, why would you need more than 50m waterproofness especially when you are considering a seamaster as well? Yes the speedy racing is 1/3 the price but also will not hold value like the iconic speedmaster professional.

Hope this helps!

7. alam Mar 18, 2017

That Seamaster is a beauty in my eyes...42mm is perfect size for my wrist and the orange script on the blue dial looks just right! I wish Omega would offer this model/style w/a non-date dial! but hey, I'll take it as is!

#Ineedabluedialwatch#

:)

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 18, 2017

I owned the Seamaster ti. It was one of the best looking watches I have ever owned (not counting the Gemini 4).

upload_2017-3-18_11-6-14.png

My issue with this one was the thickness.

I use to own two POs, the one is a 2500 and the other in the ti.

upload_2017-3-18_11-13-19.png

BrianMcKay likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2017

I've got the big Seamaster 45.5 Planet Ocean Chrono on bracelet. It's one of the heaviest non platinum or gold watches out there. You quickly get used to the weight. I've worn a vintage 34mm piece on a light leather strap and the big boy back to back in the same day and it makes little difference.

I own both a speedmaster date/racing and a professional. Both great watches but if your a bigger guy you might find the racing a tad small if you like the size of the titanium Planet Ocean. 39/40 mm vs 42 on the Pro.

I've got 7.5 inch wrists and can wear the thinner first gen Planet Ocean at 45.5mm and wear vintage 35/36mm pieces no problem. But the 39/40mm speedy racing/date seems a little small on me with the large watch proportions and slightly smaller size. I love my Pro though.

Try them on at the end of the day the watch is yours and how you feel about them. What works for me or anyone else may not work for you.

10. adi4 Mar 18, 2017

Given what you've stated, I'd lean towards the Seamaster. It looks great and the titanium will make it very wearable, especially if you decide to put it on a leather strap afterwards. The Speedmaster Racing personally does nothing for me...

BrianMcKay likes this.
  11. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

As some people have mentioned already, if you're not looking at speedy pro, go with the seamaster.

12. Slipstreamer Mar 18, 2017

Get the watch what sings to you (you might have to save a little bit longer for the one you really want). Personally, I like the Speedmaster Racing too (its also more accurate than the Professional (being COSC certified), the co-axial feature does not need servicing for 10 years (the manually-wound Pro needs servicing every 5 years. I have nothing against manually-wound watches, I have a manually-wound dress watch). My daily use is a Speedmaster HB SIA GMT (44.25 which is fine for my large wrists) and is also perfect during my racing activities.

13. DMeister406 Mar 18, 2017

I have also always been drawn to the Seamaster. I like the romance of it; the notion it's a tool watch and yet still eminently stylish! The Bond connection has always been an added draw card for me since the Brosnan era.

The PO is a hefty watch in SS. It's quite thick also as noted by Taddy. I looked at both the SS and Ti version of the PO. The Ti is significantly lighter than the SS, but eventually went SS for a few reasons - (a) I didn't actually mind the thickness and weight as for me it's a daily wearer and has become a part of me. (b) The SS was significantly less expensive than the Ti (even though to buy just the Omega SS bracelet on it's own is around $1K). (c) SS can be polished and re-finished much more easily than Ti.

In the end these reasons are why I went for the non Ti version but everyone will have their own individual preferences and reasons.

Edited Mar 18, 2017
  14. THQ Mar 20, 2017

Thanks everyone for their input.

I will go with the Seamaster PO Ti and have a think about the Speedy Racing vs Pro. To be honest, I think I will end up with the Racing. Cheaper, more water resistant, more accurate, and has the date are all big plusses for me. Missing the history and professional tag isn't enough for me to pay so much more at the moment. Maybe in the future. For me, also I'm just not that sophisticated enough I guess to appreciate a manual wind watch. I just want to put my watched in a watch winder, then take them out at the correct time and date.

15. lhawli Mar 20, 2017

I wish you all the joy and wear them in good health. But I do sense "buyers remorse" down the line for not getting the speedy pro!

I've been down that road of "cannot afford now" so I'll settle for this or that. What will always happen is you will itch and itch and sell at a loss and wind up with what You wanted in the first place (just my opinion of course).

If you genuinely want the racer for the date, then do it. I don't see the relevance of WR for the speedy as you are getting a seamaster for the wet occasions.

Also, and I have to note this, who told you the racer is more accurate? My speedy pro (+1s/d) is more accurate than my SubC date (-2s/d).

Edited Mar 20, 2017
    BrianMcKay likes this.