Forums Latest Members

First purchase by Paypal : need help to prevent my selft

1. Sashashu Dec 25, 2017

Hi guys ,

I'm about to buy a watch from a guy that i've met on a FB page lately . He has his own website selling watches and seems to have many of that to sell .
    We agreed on a price and i'm about to pay him by paypal .
    Basically , what do i have to do is to put his email adress and the amount , right ?
    He also told me that have to not tick the " merchendise " to get away from the fees and the taxes because it comes from the US to France .
    What should i do ? Do i need to follow the advice ? Am i still protected by doing this this way ?

How can i make sure that i won't get ripped off / robbed ? Just curious because i have no experience with Pay pal .

Thank you .

Merry Christmas !

Sasha

2. keepschanging Dec 25, 2017

I think you have to tick the ‘buying goods/services’ option in order to benefit from PayPal customer protection (fraud etc.). The seller will incur a fee of about 4%, which they will usually ask you to pay.

Larry S and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Bulldozer Dec 25, 2017

Without knowing the seller I would not speculate about their integrity but by using Paypal and not checking the merchandise box you mean you are sending a gift? if so you are leaving yourself open if things do not go the way that you think that they will with the transaction. I would recommend paying a bit more and playing by the rules.

You will of course still have to pay any duty that French customs demand on the goods you bought and without full proof of what you paid for goods and postal fees they will savage you for money if they are like Portuguese customs

gemini4 and Sashashu like this.
  4. alam Dec 25, 2017

I would ask for an invoice via Pay Pal w/all the details about the watch - model, SN, return policy, etc and I will only pay only using the "goods/services" option. You and the Seller must figure out how to work the PP fee. This option will protect you just in case anything goes awry.

Taddyangle likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 25, 2017

I would offer to split the fees, especially if you want to pay by credit card.

He gets knowledge that funds are good and can be withdrawn immediately.

You get PayPal’s buyer protection and protection from your credit card company if there is an issue with post office or seller fraud.

Fair deal for both sides.

If you use the cash transfer, then there is no protection for you. Seller can take money and run. I won’t do this unless I know the other party personally, or have done business with them before.

You are buying the seller, not the watch.
    gatorcpa

Taddyangle, gemini4 and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Sashashu Dec 25, 2017

the thing is that i'll probably have to pay my import taxes .

7. henrikaa Dec 25, 2017

You can get a quote on that from your customs agency...

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2017

Don’t do it the way he suggested, I am already suspicious.
    Either the way others have suggested above or not all.

Do more research on him.

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 25, 2017

So what about the sellers here on the forum that ask for gift payment on paypal. Are we to be suspicious about them?

Rodmar likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 25, 2017

+1 He’s not trustworthy.

mydeafcat likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2017

I'd be cautious with most anyone I don't know.

12. Bulldozer Dec 25, 2017

The poster asked for advice about their first Paypal transaction and it is not really about anyone being suspicious of anyone but more What if things go wrong.

I meant no offence to the seller as I do not know them but the inexperienced buyer asked for advice on buyer protection...In this case it is complicated by the goods coming from the USA to France in Europe so if the buyer does not have the correct details to offer to customs as proof of purchase then they will be screwed. If the parcel goes missing they will have no protection from paypal unless they play straight and pay the fees that are due for this kind of transaction. It is just my opinion and what I would do myself.

cicindela likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 25, 2017

I use that for friends I’ve made here. I’d never ever use that for someone I have no history with.

14. Sashashu Dec 25, 2017

Have you ever heard or buy with Tim Hewitt ?

15. kkt Dec 25, 2017

You could ask him for references. Then think about how well established the people giving references are.

Paypal is performing a service, and they deserve to get paid for it. I'd decline to do the friends and family "sale" with someone I wasn't very experienced with or could provide references whose reputation I knew.

Sashashu and Larry S like this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 25, 2017

Yes, if they refuse to negotiate on that point.

If the deal is good enough, I'd pay the whole fee myself.

If the seller still balked, it would be no sale.
    gatorcpa

tyrantlizardrex and STANDY like this.
  17. wsfarrell Dec 25, 2017

Perhaps not suspicious of their integrity, but suspicious of their greed. It's against PayPal's terms of service for the seller to demand that the buyer pay the fees. I once did 3 PayPal "gifts" in one month, and got a nasty email from PP saying that my account could be terminated if I continued.

Bulldozer likes this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 25, 2017

Same thing happened to a friend of mine.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 25, 2017

Glad to see you are doing your research on payment. :thumbsup:

Now a bit of research on the watch, Do we get a picture of the watch ?

Bulldozer, Larry S and mydeafcat like this.
  20. Vanallard Dec 27, 2017

+1 with the recommendations so far. Do not send the payment via the "friend/family" option unless you know the seller as you lose the buyer protection offered by PayPal.

I've purchased a few items on eBay.de and many sellers refuse to accept PayPal unless the buyer is willing to pay the additional 4%. IMO it's a fair request - the advertised price is the net price.

Bulldozer likes this.