Forums Latest Members
  1. rondeaux Jun 17, 2020

I think I recently entered a new phase of collecting. Up until now I only bought complete watches in as close to original condition as possible. I never bought a watch just for a part or parts, or bought one component of a watch in hopes of finding the rest later on.

I love browsing old ads and catalogs looking for unusual pieces that catch my eye. This black dialed, square cased piece below jumped out to me the first time I saw it in a 1949 French catalog. I never saw anything quite like it.

20 French 1949 Cat.PNG

Later I found a similar piece in an ad from 1943. Still no information, just a picture.

Longines 1943 05 (see 20 Fr 49).jpg

I know of some closely related examples like the one below circa 1941 with a 23m movement and 25.5 mm case. It recently sold on ebay for about $400 USD.Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network Very nice, but still not the black dialed version I love.

s-l1600 (94).jpg

More recently, I saw a black dial pop up on eBay by itself for a very reasonable price. There was a picture of the front and back with its approximate size. I had no idea how or where I would find the rest of the pieces needed to complete it, but I felt sure I had to have it. I wasn't even 100% sure it was original.

s-l500.jpg s-l1600 (93).jpg

When it arrived today, I was impressed. There's a wonderful contrast between the matte and glossy components of the dial. The "swiss" seems odd and the subdial looks just a hair off, but I'm no expert. It measures 22 x 22 mm with two posts on the back spanning approximately 21 mm. The center and subsecond holes are approximately 6.5 mm apart. The back is numbered 1983 3.

IMG_8522.JPG IMG_8523.JPG IMG_8518.JPG

That's everything I know so far and I assume now comes the much harder part. I would imagine a proper case would be around 25 to 27 mm in width in steel or gold. The dial size and feet placement seems to coincide with a 23M or 22L movement. For hands, I think I'm looking for gold in baton, feuille, or plume style.

Very curious and excited to hear what others think. Does anyone have/know of a compete example? Did I jump to quickly and buy a refinished dial? If not, what should I be looking for to complete this watch? Also, does the dial number come from a system similar to the order and case numbers we see on casebacks from this era? Either way, this feels like a whole new world of collecting for me . . .

SportChief likes this.
  2. Andy_timeman Jun 19, 2020

Gorgeous ads.. gorgeous watches in the ads.... a great looking dial and a lot of luck finding one with a refinished dial.. just like fishing.. will be beautiful if you can complete the project..good luck

rondeaux likes this.
  3. rondeaux Jun 19, 2020

Thanks! Not sure if I'm reading your reply correctly - do you think the dial is refinished?

4. Andy_timeman Jun 19, 2020

my apologies.. I think your dial is original and wish you luck finding the right model watch (that has a bad or redial) so that you can use your dial to finish your project...

rondeaux likes this.