Forums Latest Members

First post from new member in England

1. steelgecko Aug 27, 2017

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a couple of months but not yet felt ready to post...until now.

I've been a long time member (since 2011) of the Christopher Ward forum, and post there as Tempus Fugit. Some of you here may know me, I recognise some names! (Apologies if you thought you were free of me over here! ;) )

While I've always been interested in watches, it was CW that allowed me to explore mechanical timepieces at an affordable price, and to learn more about how they work (the members at CWF are great). As my horological interest has grown and as my income has grown with my career, I've been lucky enough to be able to spend a little more and so my collection now includes Tudor, Rolex - and Omega (which is why I'm here).

My current collection of Omegas is a Dynamic from around 1972 (tbc) which was my father's and he gave me about three years ago and I wear on special occasions; a 1964 Seamaster 30 which I love as my main dress watch and for which I bought an Extract of the Archives, and a 2016 SMPc which serves as my daily wearer - both work and play.

I plan to be an active member here, especially as - with a significant birthday coming early next year - my main present from my wife will be a watch and one of the candidates is a grail of mine - the Speedie Pro.

Look forward to having good discussions, getting (and possibly giving) good advice, joining in the debates - and enjoying great banter. I may even post a couple of threads soon, but wanted this to be my first post.

Best wishes,
    Alex

[Edited to correct image submission duplication] 20170827_194656.jpg
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 28, 2017
  2. ICONO Aug 27, 2017

A very warm welcome to the Forum

The vast majority of our members are really nice, warm, generous, watch aficionados who donate their expertise & experience unstintingly, in the interests of democratising knowledge

Whereabouts in the U.K. are you ?

Mathlar likes this.
  3. steelgecko Aug 27, 2017

Hi there and thank you. Sounds like the right place to come to then :)

I'm in Essex, and work in London. And you?

4. ICONO Aug 27, 2017

I am in sunny Manchester most of the time……and my Students are in Gods own county…Yorkshire

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 27, 2017

Hi Alex and welcome to the Forum. Thanks for the nice photo of three great Omegas.

"... a 1964 Seamaster 30 which I love as my main dress watch and for which I bought an Extract of the Archives."

I love to hear of the histories of watches for which folks obtained extracts of the archives. Would you share yours?

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 27, 2017

Welcome and you don't just have to discuss Omega here. Most of us are collectors over a broad range of vintage. Browse the forums and you will see a depth of knowledge here.

7. steelgecko Aug 27, 2017

Thanks guys for the very warm welcome.

Noelekal - I will start a start a thread with some pictures, probably tomorrow.

Larry - in which case, here's another vintage of mine - the lesser-spotted (compared to the smaller 6426) 6424. From 1965.

20170613_131724.jpg 20170605_170823.jpg

neilfrancis and noelekal like this.
  8. steelgecko Aug 28, 2017

Hi noelekal, I have posted a thread re the SM30, please let me know your thoughts? Thank you. Alex

noelekal likes this.
  9. ChrisN Aug 28, 2017

Hi Alex

Welcome from me as well. I'm a Brit living in northern Spain at the moment but in the process of moving back to UK. Will be in Somerset when it happens....

Enjoy the forum, it's a nice place to be.

Regards, Chris

10. steelgecko Aug 28, 2017

Thanks Chris, friends of mine used to live in Somerset so I had many happy weekends down there with them in Taunton (and an infamous stag do...). Great beaches too, so while Spanish weather is lovely you have a lot to look forward to!

11. xeasygoingx Aug 29, 2017

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum - I started some days before and I fully share your thoughts. My year of birth is 1969. I have three timepieces from that period and the last one that I bought was a Speedy which is currently in service.

Enjoy the community!

Best regards
    Nicolas (from Germany)

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 29, 2017

Welcome Alex, you sound like you'll fit in well here. Remember if you have any problems, issues, or forum questions, let staff know. That's what we're here for. :thumbsup:

13. steelgecko Aug 29, 2017

Thanks Nicolas and Steve, looking forward to being here!

14. xeasygoingx Sep 6, 2017

PS: lovely Rolex - never seen this model before (I like the "simple styled" models a lot).

15. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Nov 1, 2017

Hi and welcome. Love the dial on that Dynamic, that's the nicest variant IMO.

16. davidswiss Nov 1, 2017

Welcome to the forum.