Forums Latest Members
  1. isospin Nov 27, 2013

Sorry to spam everyone but I've been lurking about the forums for a while now and reading up on vintage omegas. When in school, I was gifted a watch by my uncle. It was nothing fancy, a quartz watch, but it wasn't throw away cheap and had a nice looking dial. I only had it for a week before it was stolen. After a fellow kid who stole it was caught, I got the watch back - but totally destroyed. I developed a bit of an aversion for fancy watches and since never have owned anything other than the cheap disposables I could find at the department store.

Well, I'm at a point in life where I need to move on from this past history and am thinking to acquire a nice watch. I like the idea of having a watch which was relatively new therefore likely ticking the day I was born, and one that has kept time for someone during the years I have lived my life - hence my thoughts on a vintage watch. I like the looks of the dials on some of the vintage constellations - but does anyone have any recommendations for what I should look at circa 1968-1969? There was another thread on this some time back and the pie pan dials were frequently recommended, but I don't really think like the look of those. I can be convinced, though.

I've found a few nice ones on eBay, but the prices are all over the map and having no idea of what is a fair deal, I'm almost sure if I jump in and buy one blind I'll be taken for a sucker again, which will defeat the purpose of the whole thing. So any help I can get from the forum will be much appreciated. Looking to stay in the < $1500 range.

2. isospin Nov 27, 2013

Some specific examples I found I'd like feedback on. These are long gone, but I'm trying to get ideas on what kind of things to watch out for and get
    a realistic bid point.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ome...968738468?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2ecaab96a4Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-OMEGA-...052686187?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item35cbd0336bPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2013

Seamaster chronometer Calibre 751 is well worth a look, its 36mm and has a brilliant movement

4. ulackfocus Nov 27, 2013

Both those watches can be found in better condition fairly often. Neither are bad, but neither are exemplary. I'd say they ended about right - maybe a little high for the second. The 168.015 front loader is a little smaller than the average Constellation case but not by too much.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 27, 2013

If you're going to go for the front loading Constellation, it pays to get the pie-pan Ref. 168.025. Costs a little more for one with a nice original dial, but worth it IMHO.

[​IMG]

image.jpg

Top one is mine, the other one isn't.

gatorcpa

6. isospin Nov 27, 2013

Thanks dsio and ulackfocus. I suspect Its going to need a lot of discipline and patience on my part. Yes, If I get anything I want it to be in excellent condition, cosmetically and mechanically.

I must say I'm a bit tempted by this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Omega-...329327355?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f2c7cf8fbPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

7. ulackfocus Nov 27, 2013

Another "9.5 out of 10" listing. :cautious: That watch has been polished way too much. The lugs edges are gone. The back had some serious dings and pitting that isn't even completely polished out, which means they were too deep to get rid of for fear the case back would end up too thin.

8. isospin Nov 27, 2013

Thanks gatorcpa, that is good to know. There is a 168.015 on the 'bay right now from a Canadian seller - It is nice but I'm ambivalent about it as compared to past auctions his price appears a little high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251383773453?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The case condition is nice, crystal is supposedly new, but I'm unsure of the dial. The markings are showing wear, perhaps that is normal. Right now I'm thinking to hold out for another one. Perhaps a 168.025 might show up.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 27, 2013

That's a redial for sure and the price is absurd.
    gatorcpa

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2013

:thumbsdown: