Forums Latest Members
  1. GaryUFM Sep 8, 2015

Hi guys and gals,

I'm finally in a position where I might be able to buy my first Omega, and I've got a bit of a dilemma.

Firstly, whether to go Seamaster Planet Ocean (possibly the Good Planet GMT version), or for a Speedy. Both classic designs I've loved since a kid. I appreciate this is down to personal choice of whether I ultimately decide to go for a sports watch, or something that could pass as a bit more formal. So I'll leave that aside and get a bit more specific about the Speedy...

I've seen a pre-owned 50th anniversary ltd ed. (numbered to 1957 pieces), with a stunning box/tool kit for £5.5k. I like the idea of the manual, column wheel movement here. But also looking at a new Moonwatch Professional (complete with NATO & Velcro straps) with 1861 movement for £3,340.

Is the 1861 movement column wheel?

Is the ltd ed. worth stretching my budget for? Is it worth the price, and any thoughts on it being a future classic?

Finally, with a budget of c£5k am I likely to be able to track down a decent vintage Speedy...desirable, good condition, etc. I'll assume not, but happy to be surprised by you experts on here!

Thanks in advance!

PatrickJ and AAAKK like this.
  2. lillatroll Sep 8, 2015

I think ultimately the decision probably always come down to which one you like the most. I am hoping to buy a Snoopy but if that doesn't come off then I was thinking about the SM300 or or a PO. I did ask for opinions on which is best in terms of movement etc, but in the end it didn't really matter, I like the SM300 more so that is what I will buy if i can t get a Snoopy speedie. The price etc didn't really come into it because once you like a particular watch you won't care what it costs as long as it's not stupid expensive. So when you see them in the flesh you will know which one to buy. Now my dilema is about the Spectra SM300 or the regular one.

3. Dombo63 Sep 8, 2015

Similar position to me - initially looking at Seamaster or Speedy Moonwatch and after much umming and ahhing decided I should look to get the Moonwatch. I just preferred the looks and I like the Apollo backstory.
    As to prices, you can probably do better than £3,340 RRP new if you shop around. I shall probably go online for mine - I was offered 2,783 at Heathrow (ie RRP less VAT) on my way to Greece and wrongly figured I'd pick one up cheaper over there given their economic woes but best I saw was similar to Heathrow.
    Silver Snoopies arrive later this month according to my local boutique.

GaryUFM likes this.
  4. lillatroll Sep 8, 2015

I know that the snoopy comes out soon, the problem is that, initially atleast, people wanting them outstrip the 1970 number available, it might be that, now people have had time to get over the initial wow factor of the watch, some may have changed their minds or want something else more. My understanding is that many shops have closed waiting lists for them, some have only taken full deposits and others have just said that they will not be getting anywhere near enough to cover the demand. Another factor is how distribution is going to be allocated over the different parts of the world. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed, but the SM300 is a nice watch too.

5. GaryUFM Sep 8, 2015

Cheers folks, I've also just had a play with a 2007 (non-anniversary) Moon Speedy for £2,295. 1861 hand-wound movement, with steel Seahorse case back. Seemed smaller than modern ones (40mm?). I think I am leaning towards a decent Speedy. I'm more drawn to the history...knowing I can probably get a decent contemporary Seamaster PO from new in a few years. The question is though, which Speedy?

If possible I like the idea of an 'authentic' movement, so a column wheel chrono would be good. Does the 1861 movement tick this box?

And if I do decide to go new, I may well consider Dombo63's suggestion of a tax free purchase when next at the airport.

Edited Sep 8, 2015
  6. GaryUFM Sep 8, 2015

I found a post on another forum suggesting 1861 isn't a column wheel movement. Having learned this...it hasn't helped at all! Still, a nice problem to face in the grand scheme of things!

What about the collectability? I'm thinking that this purchase will be a potential heirloom. Can anyone foresee the 1957 ltd ed. becoming more sought after than the standard? Might give it the edge with the secondary objective of an heirloom.

7. WatchVaultNYC Sep 8, 2015

I would suggest you buy what you would use the most, so you can make the most out of your expenditure

8. GaryUFM Sep 8, 2015

Any one I buy will become my daily wearer. Only concession I'd make would be to swap the bracelet for leather or NATO strap, just to stop it getting scuffed, saving that for special occasions. Maybe.

9. Maximus84 Sep 8, 2015

No, the 1861 (like my 1863) is cam, not column wheel. That special edition is mighty fine, and ticks a lot of boxes for me, but I went for the Speedy Pro Moonwatch. I bought it as a daily wearer, keeper and future heirloom. By the time it goes to my child (in at least 30years I hope) the Apollo Moon landings will be even further back in history, perhaps lending extra significance. That, plus the current 'Legendary Moon Watch' box and goodies is a great thing to keep and hand down.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2015

No not a column wheel, but a very reliable cam system. Much of the appeal of a column wheel was once related to the additional skills required in machining it. These were not easy to make, and made the watches using them more expensive because of increased production costs. With modern manufacturing techniques making a column wheel is a snap, so now they cost more because people believe they should, and the watch companies take advantage of this.

Personally I would never let the presence (or lack) of a column wheel influence the decision to purchase a watch...

Cheers, Al

PatrickJ and sarir97 like this.
  11. bb58 Sep 8, 2015

The 1861/63 movement is what you'll find in the modern Speedmasters, though I've never heard of a standard Speedmaster Professional in 40mm. The smaller ones are usually non-Professional with automatic movements +/- date function. Decide what you want in the watch before you make your decision; Speedmasters aren't going anywhere and since you're not hunting for vintage models, the cam actuated chronograph system in the modern Speedies is still what's being used so you won't miss your chance. If you want a water-proof automatic for diving with, a planet ocean would be great. I prefer them over the Seamaster Professionals. If you want a classic timepiece that you can dress up, dress down, and wear with any outfit, the Speedmaster fits the bill.

If limited funds are a factor, go with a standard model. If the ltd edition REALLY speaks to you (like the ltd edition Liquidmetal PO did to almost everyone) then it makes sense to invest in it. I didn't really care for the fancy box with the loupe and extra straps so I got a standard Speedmaster in the red leather box, but to some people the box with goodies was a nice bonus

12. GaryUFM Sep 8, 2015

A bit more time for this now, so for clarity, the limited edition I'm referring to is this one here:
    http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-1957-50th-anniversary-2007/

Part of the thing that appeals is the column wheel movement, as I said before - but I don't think this is an essential requirement (otherwise, this wouldn't be a choice, right?). I also like the vintage font used on the dial and on the case back. The fact it's waterproof to 100m as opposed to 50m and the longer power reserve also appeal; all as small subtle markers of uniqueness - whether immediately visible or not. This is what is making me thing it will become a better collectible and so a better heirloom.

As for new, I've continued my research and discovered I now have a choice of hesalite with steel case back, or a 'sapphire sandwich'...who knew buying a watch could be so confusing?!

Definitely steel on steel, as I figure it's easier going from steel to leather at some point in the future than vice versa. I'll probably initially make the switch to NATO strap that comes now with the new Professionals. If I go for the limited edition it will be straight onto a leather strap - all to preserve the bracelet.

13. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Sep 8, 2015

My 2 cents: For pure value, you can't go wrong with your basic modern Speedy, the 3570.50. They made this reference for many years and are plentiful on the used market and they're pretty true to the references that went to the moon. You're probably over thinking the column wheel vs cam decision (Al said it best). Waterproof rating, nicer presentation box etc will probably be irrelevant to you before you know it.

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. abrod520 Sep 8, 2015

My entry into Omega was a 105.003, many examples of which fall right into your price range. Or, if you prefer the modern size and a column-wheel movement, hard to go wrong with a 105.012 or 145.012 .... Same design as the current Moonwatch with the added bonus of (usually) beautiful aging lume.

15. GaryUFM Sep 9, 2015

Trouble with limited funds is it requires a this OR that choice...hence I just want to get it right! I don't doubt you're correct though: whichever option I go for, I'll probably be immensely happy. Definitely a first-world problem, eh?!

At which point, I'm probably due to start a thread in the vintage section... The reference numbers were helpful. Having searched for those I'm amazed at what I can afford - according to Chrono24.com searches anyway. They way these original watches are revered, I thought I would need to pay at least 5-figures for such watches?

If I could get a decent vintage Speedy Pro now, I would be well happy with a new Seamaster Planet Ocean GMT in a few year's time. I'm sure those two watches would be enough to satisfy me...won't they?

16. abrod520 Sep 9, 2015

Vintage Speedmasters are some of the best values in vintage watches, in my opinion - given their history and quality, I'm amazed that pre-moon Professionals are still as inexpensive as they are... not for long though ;)

You will be happy with the watches you have, but will always want another, then another, then another. It's a disease :)

17. GaryUFM Sep 10, 2015

Hmmmm...it's already going that way, with a wishlist building!

18. Dombo63 Sep 10, 2015

As with bikes, work on the assumption of the ideal number owned being N+1 where N is the current number in possession. The first derivative of this equation is of course P-1, still equalling the ideal number owned, but where P is the number at which divorce proceedings are initiated against you.

sarir97, abrod520 and grizzlycanuck like this.
  19. vinn2 Sep 10, 2015

ive had a moon watch for many years. thanks to this forum (and you guys); i just found out there is a clutch on the main spring.

20. GaryUFM Sep 11, 2015

And records. And bottles of whisky. Basically anything fun!