First omega: rust apparent inside and would appreciate input

I posted yesterday of my first vintage Omega purchase. What I didn’t realize was some rust exists inside the case. It is localized and I’m posting pics below.

Now that I’m aware of the rust issue on a portion of the watch, should I return it. It wasn’t disclosed and I didn’t see it…and that probably doesn’t matter. Or is the rust localized enough to ignore and just send it for service once received? The purchase price of 370.00 doesn’t brake the bank, but did I get overboard on the price? What should I have done differently as a new collector?I’m reading everything I can to brush up quickly, but I would greatly appreciate any insight you might have. I’ve been questioning myself all day and I'm clearly new to this. Thanks in advance.

I guess those are the seller's photos, in which case I would say that the rust was disclosed in the photos. It's obvious and clearly shown. But if returns are accepted, you might consider it.

If you were planning to have it serviced anyway, hopefully it won't add too much to the price. Obviously you will need new screws, but it's hard to tell if the damage goes beyond that. It's possible that water seeped/wicked into the movement from there and rusted some other parts. The movement will need to be disassembled and parts inspected. Sometime parts can be cleaned up and used, other times you need some new parts. It's part of the game with vintage watches. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Even without water ingress you can sometimes need replacement parts.

Assuming it's a gold-filled/plated case, $370 isn't a bargain, IMO. If it's gold-capped, the price is fine, but I don't think so. I personally feel it's better to stick with solid metal cases, or a thick gold cap over stainless. That way there's more upside and I can justify paying for a service. The entry level pieces put you in a tough spot if they need repairs. After a service, you'll have $650-$800 into a watch that's worth far less.

Edit: Looked closer at the photos from the front with the crystal removed, and I'm seeing a lot of water staining around the edge, especially near the stem. It's all green and it seems to be brown underneath the edge of the dial, but it's hard to tell. I wouldn't be surprised to find more damage.
Edited:

forrest-gump-my-momma-always-said-life-was-like-a-box-of-chocolates.gif

I’ve been questioning myself all day
I think we’ve all been there. As you’re new, this will probably be a good learning experience in many ways. When I first started this hobby I jumped in head first and made some regrettable eBay purchases. The silver lining is you didn’t pay an exorbitant fee.

As you spend more time learning, your tastes will change and you’ll find your niche of what you like. Bottom line is enjoy your father’s watch once it comes back from service and imo try to return this one.

Don't overreact. You were going to get it serviced anyway. Chances are it'll be fine with a service.

I posted yesterday of my first vintage Omega purchase. What I didn’t realize was some rust exists inside the case. It is localized and I’m posting pics below.

Now that I’m aware of the rust issue on a portion of the watch, should I return it. It wasn’t disclosed and I didn’t see it…and that probably doesn’t matter. Or is the rust localized enough to ignore and just send it for service once received? The purchase price of 370.00 doesn’t brake the bank, but did I get overboard on the price? What should I have done differently as a new collector? I’m reading everything I can to brush up quickly, but I would greatly appreciate any insight you might have. I’ve been questioning myself all day and I'm clearly new to this. Thanks in advance.
Turns out I was bidding against you for a while, but stopped when it got over $300. I saw the rust and apparent water damage but it was still a good buy for me under $300, since I intended to get it serviced. Most likely this can all be cleaned out with a proper service. I've seen many watch videos of far worse rusted pieces coming out pristine after service. Sometimes they had to replace a screw. I think your watch will turn out to be very nice.

Learning to buy vintage watches takes time and you need to learn from your miss steps. If these are the sellers pictures, I don’t think it’s the right thing to do to return it as the rust was clearly visible.

This was a recommended watch but it’s the buyer’s responsibility to check the finer details before purchase.

All the information was there, you just don’t yet know how to see it all. And that’s fine, we’ve all been there, but I’d chalk this down to newb tax and learn from it.

Thanks all. Replies much appreciated.

Most lessons worth learning in this life come with some expense attached to them, monetary or otherwise. It is the wise that profit from them. The sharpness of the sting greatly reduces the amount of time spent in the lower portion of the learning curve. Count me as one digging out of the Netherlands of ignorance on this subject. Lesson learned. (And there’ll be more…many more). Thanks again. -CBM

I find that if I really like a watch, I soon forget how much I paid for it and just enjoy it. So the most important thing is to buy watches that really appeal to you. It only stings a bit if I later sell the watch and take a loss, but in this price range it's not really a big deal.

Hey CBM, try to look at it as part of the watches story. I’m sure a service will be able to clean all that up and have it running perfectly. You’ll be giving this old watch a new lease on life.

good luck brother

Hey CBM, try to look at it as part of the watches story. I’m sure a service will be able to clean all that up and have it running perfectly. You’ll be giving this old watch a new lease on life.

good luck brother
Wow. Thanks for that perspective! That watch, like many of us, needs a good cleaning and restoration from time to time to run optimally. It deserves that. It’ll get it from me. Your insight made me smile. Thank you, brother.

Wow. Thanks for that perspective! That watch, like many of us, needs a good cleaning and restoration from time to time to run optimally. It deserves that. It’ll get it from me. Your insight made me smile. Thank you, brother.

Anytime bro! I can’t wait to see the finished product!