Forums Latest Members

Purchased my first Omega Seamaster please have a look and offer advice

1. ChrisElder Oct 7, 2014

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261611183539?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I started buying Android watches lately but wanted to buy something a bit more interesting and the colour of the dial caught my attention as well as Omega's rep for making great watches. I'm starting to get a bit nervous about plunking down $650 for a watch when I've only purchased watches in the $100-200 range before.

I admit I know almost 0 about watches, but was wondering if people could offer their opinion on how good the model is, if the watch looks authentic, if everything appears original, how often I should get it service, if they think it looks nice even heh. It doesn't come with any paperwork, but the merchant in question has a lot of excellent feedback and offers a money back guarantee so I felt confident in buying from him/her and most of the watches being sold were within that $600-700 price range as well.

Because it doesn't come with paperwork and the only description it gives is 1970s Seamaster Omega I was hoping someone might be able shed some light on my ignorance and hopefully give me some good news that I wasn't hosed on the deal and that I purchased something worthwhile to add to my collection.

Thanks in advance to all who reply

PS I know a broke the cardinal rule in not asking to see the actual movement and reference info on the inside of the case...I'm just hoping I haven't been saddled with a poor redial or at worst a Frankenstein watch...terms which I never heard before until I did some internet searching....which I probably should have done before even buying this... /sigh omega seamaster p2.jpg omega seamaster p1.jpg omega seamaster p3.jpg

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2014

Well he certainly likes to tart up the dials to catch the eye. The repainted wrong color dial does diminish the value. No pictures of the movement were provided, and that is the most important part.

Actually the number one cardinal rule is to ask us before you buy it.

ChrisElder likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 7, 2014

OK first the good news: Yes this is authentic Omega watch.

Now the not so good news: First this watch has a refinished dial, which means the original dial paint has been scrapped and repainted again. IIRC Omega never produce dial in this color. This factor reduce the value of the watch in collector eye. Second the case has been polished rather heavily.They do it nicely but again it reduce its value. Third without movement and case back picture you can not determine whether it is in good condition or not. Rather risky. You should also check whether it has been serviced recently. If not you should do it before you have peace in mind using it for next 4-5 years, before its scheduled service again.

IMO for its condition above, its price is rather high.
    However if you really like it and never intended to sell it, then it is up to you.

Just my 2 cents.

ChrisElder likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 7, 2014

At least you have option to return the watch (or cancel it if the seller agree and has not shipped the watch).

ChrisElder likes this.
  5. scook94 Oct 7, 2014

I think it's almost a rite of passage to buy first without taking advice (on here), for an over-priced refinished watch. I know that I did it too! Having said that, we're not all collectors or buy a watch as an investment, I sure as heck don't love my Seamaster any less because of it's "flaws"!

...and at least you 'll know better for the next one! ;)

ChrisElder likes this.
  6. ChrisElder Oct 7, 2014

Thanks for the replies and yes I agree I should have made inquiries prior to making the purchase. I trusted the seller based on the reviews he received and the fact that similar watches were going for a similar price point. The vendor seems to specialize in these "treated" watches so I'm not sure if they are doing it themselves or purchasing the watches from somewhere else. The return policy seems to be quite fair so I was willing to throw the dice.

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for thanks! :) I actually sent the seller an email asking if he/she could provide pictures of the movement and the serial info and if they provide it then I will post it to hopefully shed some more light on the worth of the item.

I'm on the fence about whether I will keep it or try to opt for a refund. I suppose as you said it technically appears to be an Omega Seamaster, but I feel somewhat deceived by it being listed as "excellent pre-owned vintage condition" when it's been processed so heavily and the dial isn't exactly vintage anymore.

The colour doesn't necessarily bother me because I'm not trying to flip the watch, my concern is more towards authenticity and if the inside is a mess then it will be going back and all I'll be out is the shipping, but will have learned a valuable lesson.

Privateday7 likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 7, 2014

This is a really good point that many of the collectors on this forum and elsewhere often loose sight of.

Buy what you like and enjoy it.