Forums Latest Members
  1. Ontime Aug 20, 2016

Just acquired a Seamaster Deville from an estate. I would like like to know if it can be dated. I believe I have sourced a new signed crown. I want to acquire a crystal. Through the case number i have found that it takes a 31.6 mm size. Ofrei numbers it a 735. They have it . However it is listed as being Over 5 mm in height. I think I would prefer a lower profile crystal. Would any 31.6 mm with yellow ring also fit or do I need to get the listed number.? There is some brassing that only shows from the back. The movement runs and looks great. Under the poor crystal, the dial also is in excellent condition. Movement is a 550. Case number is 6287. And the movement serial number is. 19635153 . image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. flyingout Aug 20, 2016

3. dx009 Aug 20, 2016

According to the serial numbers your watch is dated 1962.

I think the crown is genuine but since it has a lot of wear especially where the Omega logo used to be it's better to replace it but try to get one that is correct for this model/reference.

Generic crystals with a tension ring (yellow ring) might fit but people actually recommend that you get a genuine crystal that is made for this reference otherwise issues might arise such as the dial not fitting correctly into the case. This can then either cause the movement + dial to perhaps move inside the case or even worse, the movement can end up touching the case back and produce damage.

Surely, in the end it's up to you and you can put what crystal you want but it would be wise to test it and check it to see that there aren't any issues.

4. Ontime Aug 20, 2016

Thanks 009. I am definitely looking for genuine crystal. But I am trying to find out whether the specific crystal assigned to case #6287 can be replaced by another genuine Omega of the same diameter but with a lower profile. I have seen 3 genuine crystals with a 31.6 diameter, but with different heights (5.12-as assigned to my case, 4.6. and 3.2mm). Why might I be thinking of using the lower profile? I think they might look better, and they might be less likely to be scratched. Just not sure whether there is some other factor that would make one of those not fit a 31.6 case.

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 20, 2016

Lower profile crystal also increases the chances of the hands rubbing it on the inside. Crystals are cheap, get the correct one.

6. Ontime Aug 20, 2016

Actually Ofrei has this correct crystal but not cheap - $62 and like $8 for shipping. Any other places to source a genuine crystal that pricing is less expensive. Someone on eBay has the genuine Omega lower profile ones for 35-37 dollars. Just not sure they will fit the bezel the same. One of the reasons I'm also checking is that the crystal that is presently on the watch seems to be a lower profile one.

7. dx009 Aug 20, 2016

Yes ebay should be a cheaper alternative to the same components but sometimes it takes a while to find what you need.

Write down the part number of the crystal from Ofrei and look for it on ebay or perhaps sales corner here...

Ontime likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2016

Correct crystal is 063PX5072.

Unless you have removed the bezel and crystal, and just measured the height of the crystal itself, I don't think you can really say the one it the watch is a lower profile. A good portion of the crystal is below the bezel on these.

You can certainly put whatever crystal you like on this watch, but if you want to be sure it works, get the correct one for it.

Cheers, Al

PS - Otto Frei are really gouging people on these parts, so if you can find it somewhere else, don't buy it from them...

Ontime and dx009 like this.
  9. Kja Aug 20, 2016

I was lucky to have an extra correct constellation crystal for a new watch I got but I looked it up on Otto frie because I couldn't find it at first and they wanted almost $80!! I couldn't believe it! I'm glad I found it. Geez

10. Ontime Aug 20, 2016

Well I already ordered a correct crown for $75. Not from Frei, they didn't even have it. Maybe I shouldn't have but I was impatient. I had done some searching and did get the feeling that this crown was going to be hard to get, so I figured I better jump on it or I might be waiting a long time. I did get the watch for a good price so I felt a had a little wiggle room on spending. I'm going to be a little more patient withe the crystal.