Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space (2012 Speedmaster) FOIS, Roll Call

1. Elitr6 May 22, 2018

New colareb milano strap!

20180522_204148.jpg

Alfonso82, alam and imagwai like this.
  2. teojjsg May 23, 2018

I have been thinking of adding a pulsation bezel. Now i am much more inspired since i know someone has been playing with bezels instead of straps. Used to think i am the odd one out.

eyedoc751 and Dr. K like this.
  3. Dr. K Jun 24, 2018

...although „Speedmaster“ and its racing heritage suggests you leave the tachymetric scale on that watch

4. WatchWalker Jun 25, 2018

Picked up 9880 today at Amsterdam airport...
    IMG_9111.JPG

epidome, Alfonso82, Dr. K and 3 others like this.
  5. eyedoc751 Jun 25, 2018

Congrats. Enjoy your new watch

E8538E21-7AA0-46C8-9E51-DD6377E2017C.jpeg
    Alfonso82, Dr. K and WatchWalker like this.
  6. BLAUGRANA Jun 25, 2018

Congratulations! I still LOVE mine. Enjoy!

WatchWalker likes this.
  7. sharpSHOTscott Jun 28, 2018

Hi, #958X checking in.....

New to forum, had a new SMP 300 for around 2 years and about 2 weeks ago made the jump and got myself this beauty.

Had gone into Bluewater, Kent Boutique (which makes you believe it's omega but apparently it's run by goldsmiths) and kept trying it on over the last few months.

I had my heart set on a speedy Pro saphire sandwich and didn't rate the FOIS much against it from the photos, but in real life I couldn't stay away from it.

I went in there a few weeks ago, tried it on and said I'd take it... only to be told that it would be the display model. Apparently Omega/Goldsmiths doesn't call it ex-display, that's all they stock. They weren't willing to give me any ex display discount and not only had hundreds of people tried the watch on, but the leather strap was already looking bent up and each hole stretched. I told them to shove it, as not spending £3.5k on a used watch. I went straight home and ordered it online from a main jewlers website with next day delivery and haven't taken it off my wrist ever since.

Its interesting that they only stock one. At first she didn't think they would be able to get another one in. She said if she could, it would be 6-8 weeks, so perhaps these are drying up.

My ultimate would be the Speedy Tuesday limited edition, but not willing to pay the £6-£8k these are going for now.

Also tempted to sell the SMP 300 but then I'm trying to start a collection.

Cheers for all the strap inspiration on here. I'm majorly tempted to try a glass case back, but hoping someone else does it and sends a pic first.

Cheers from London,

Scott

20180628_105445.jpg
    Edited Jun 28, 2018
    Alfonso82, Dr. K, WatchWalker and 3 others like this.
  8. WatchWalker Jun 28, 2018

You did well IMHO. I own several Speedmaster but I prefer the FOIS over the Speedy Tuesday because more legible. The CK2998 Pulsometer has same case size as the FOIS but still is far less legible. Only moon watches do better in that sense. So you chose well! Congratulations and may it please you for many years to come.

9. sharpSHOTscott Jun 28, 2018

Cheers Watchwalker... I'm hoping people keep updating this to see what sort of numbers they get up to.. also send pics of the diff straps people have tried! Nice to get an idea of what it's going to look like before parting with the cash ha!

The final thought that made me get this over the moon watch, is that technically I can always get a moon watch whenever I want. Where as hopefully these aren't always going to be available.

10. epidome Jun 28, 2018

Hey together
    Number 10028 joining.

I love the style of the watch. But 2 things are really annoying to me:
    1. The flat crown, very unpleasant to wind. It’s my only manual winding watch, and the one with the smalles crown of all. Can’t imagine why they decided to use this one...
    2. The sharp case back. It makes the watch a very uncomfortable one :-( specially the high outer ring is a torture...
    I’m currently looking for a solution together with Omega.
    A view people earlier in this thread had the same problem. But now one posted the best solution. The watch was sent back to omega, and then?
    What was the solution in your case?

Regards

3701195B-8404-4736-85FF-520134CC4B95.jpeg
    Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    Alfonso82, TJH and alam like this.
  11. eyedoc751 Jun 28, 2018

It shows how several owners have unique to them experiences with the FOIS. I was concerned with the reports of the case back being uncomfortable to wear, but I haven’t experienced any issue in that regard. As well the ease of winding this crown hasn’t been as issue in the least. Perhaps with bigger hands/fingers it would likely pose a frustration. Of course it’s best to try it in person to ascertain if this is going to be an issue prior to purchasing any watch

alam likes this.
  12. epidome Jun 28, 2018

That’s true. Winding could be detected in the store (so that goes on to my hat :) ). When you compare the FOIS with other Omega’s with the same caliber, all of them have bigger crowns (even the original “schirra“...).

But the case back started to become uncomfortable after a view hours and got worse after days :-(
    I’m just curious how the Omega solution will look like... and if it’s satisfying...
    Or should I go for a replacement case back by my self? What will definitely be a good solution for me...

Regards

13. eyedoc751 Jun 28, 2018

Hopefully omega will respond to your concern about comfort of caseback if the edge is sharp or imperfect. I’d wait for their response before addressing it at your expense. I assume it’s still under warranty

14. epidome Jun 28, 2018

I was in a service center two times and in my country’s headquarter... they could not figure out any issue (it is as it should be). Always really friendly by the way :)
    Now it should be sent to biel (and will be on the “road” for a while).

15. Dr. K Jul 1, 2018

Then you should be lucky that you chose the FOIS - it is much easier to wind than a Speedy Pro. The latter has a bigger crown, but this is squeezed between the crownguards and has much more „resistance“ to the winding action. I have no issues with the FOIS case back.

16. alam Jul 1, 2018

Ditto :thumbsup: I have owned mine for almost three years, bought it brand new and never experienced any issues with its caseback or difficulties while winding the crown. Now, if you want to experience and complain about a watch that is truly a pain ::rant:to wind then you should try one of these 14.381

eyedoc751 likes this.
  17. _cheapshotmeme Jul 10, 2018

First post. Nice forum, and good to meet you all. I just yesterday ordered my FOIS, and am excitedly waiting for the moment I open it up. It will be my first Omega that I own and will probably use it only for special occasions.

I'm also eyeing up a 311.30.42.30.01.005 for daily use.

Cheers!

18. Donn Chambers Jul 10, 2018

I suspect once you have it you will want to wear it more often than just "special occasions." Enjoy!

_cheapshotmeme and Speedo_Fr like this.
  19. sn0wman72 Jul 10, 2018

Welcome to the forum. My FOIS is not my daily wear watch, however I wear it at least once a week...the straight lugs are what does it for me as compared to the twisted lugs of the current Speedmaster

20. Speedo_Fr Jul 13, 2018

[​IMG] [​IMG]

New strap, quite similar than the "original" FOIS shown in the Omega website.