Forums Latest Members
  1. SoMooney Aug 27, 2016

Hey guys. I just purchased my first omega, a speedy pro 3590.50 from someone on the forum. I'm really impressed with the form and fit. Really impressive.

My question is, the hesalite has no omega mark on it. What does that mean? Was it an aftermarket crystal? I searched and it seems pretty much all should have it.

Should that have been disclosed in the ad by the seller or is it no big deal? The watch is otherwise flawless. I know it can be replaced relatively inexpensively. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. M'Bob Aug 27, 2016

Honestly, if you are pleased with the watch, got it at a good price, and it looks correct otherwise, i wouldn't sweat the crystal. Have it replaced with a genuine one, and you'll be a happy camper.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 27, 2016

If it really has no Omega mark, then to me it is a big deal.

Why?

Because it tells me the watch was serviced by a non omega workshop - or not serviced at all, just a replaced crystal, with non Omega parts.
    Then I start to ask, who opened it, with what, did they follow procedures, did they touch the inside with bare fingers, did they service it or just poke about?

Why change the crystal for non omega? Thats the real question. There is no need, except to save money.

It really is a grave marker to me. What you see is just a marker for any number of possibilities.

Or you could have just missed the logo - lets hope!

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 27, 2016

Of course if it was a bargain, who cares, just have it serviced!

5. SoMooney Aug 27, 2016

It was a very well known seller and it stated there was no known service history. I suppose I should have asked if it had the mark. Would you guys consider this a buyer beware thing or something you'd expect to be disclosed.

6. SoMooney Aug 27, 2016

The seller responded and said there was a time in the nineties that they did not do the mark. Thanks guys its water under the bridge but appreciate the input

7. alam Aug 27, 2016

pictures or it never happened! :coffee:

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 27, 2016

your job ...

and just to put things into perspective (I feel spacefruit overshoot a bit here, especially vis a vis a newbie - there might be a simple explanation like the Omega Service centers did not have any at hand and used run of the mill glasses): I'd consider it like when buying a vintage 911 with non original tires ...

that's very different from non-original axle or gearbox.

so dont beat yourself up, I think the seller did ok if the pics showed the glass well enough (most of us who are "in the know" would consider this a no-brainer - a "check or miss" in our mental checklist).

so again, relax, enjoy your watch its not that it instantly turned into a POS ... maybe source an original glass (just to see how basic it is) and have it changed 5yrs down the line with the next service.

best al

9. chows99 Aug 27, 2016

Well, if the seller declares it as such, we can take it on face value. Use a loupe and check the dial and see if there's any defects or not. Just to be safe.

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 27, 2016

On some crystals the logo is easy to spot, on others it can be difficult to see, even with a loupe.
    My guess is the OP needs to look a bit harder.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 27, 2016

So you are suggesting that when Omega ran out of their own signed crystals, they purchased aftermarket crystals and used them on people's watches?

italy1861 and Spacefruit like this.
  12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 27, 2016

This is correct, its even documented in the MWO book from some period in the 80/90s some crystals never has the Omega symbol in the plexi.

I have 2 90s watches both WITHOUT the symbol. One a 3590 and the other a 3592. I bought the 3590 from the original purchaser of the watch and he said it has never ever been for service, therefore I can only assume that the crystal is 100% Omega issue to that watch.

13. SoMooney Aug 27, 2016

Great to know, thanks everyone! I don't ever intend to sell it so it's not really an issue just an opportunity to learn.

14. alam Aug 27, 2016

what??? still no pictures on this thread???

:D

image.jpeg
    Jwit likes this.
  15. SoMooney Aug 27, 2016

What do you want pictures of? The lack of omega?

16. alam Aug 27, 2016

ok, ok, I give up, the new guy does not get it! :p here's my contribution to the raison d'etre or lack there of, for the subject in question... hey @SoMooney, we just enjoy seeing watch pictures around here!

;)

image.jpeg
  17. SoMooney Aug 27, 2016

IMG_20160827_124900821.jpg Ha got it. I currently have it on a worn & wound leather band

alam likes this.
  18. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 27, 2016

We sure do. 012.JPG

alam likes this.
  19. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 27, 2016

How hard would it be to etch in a tiny Omega mark on the crystal? :whistling: