Forums Latest Members
  1. BradleyHuff Jul 23, 2020

Hello all. I am trying to decide on my first Omega. The choice is between a 57 Seamaster 60th Anniversary and a Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OmegaP99 likes this.
  2. Charlemagne1333 Jul 23, 2020

Unfortunately there’s no magic formula for making this kind of decision - go whichever one speaks to you the most
    If it was to be your ‘only’ watch, then I think most would probably argue for the Moonwatch, for obvious reasons. As you’re intimating that more acquisitions will follow, I don’t think it really matters, as you seem to like them equally. Try to imagine which one would get the most wear

Have a good one

avidmark and OmegaP99 like this.
  3. amcclell Jul 23, 2020

Welcome to the forum. These are both excellent but very different watches. The things to consider- do you want a manual or autowind watch? Do you want the vintage dive watch look? Do you prefer a simple 3 hand dial or more busy chronograph? Are maintenance costs a consideration, as chronographs cost twice as much to service. Ultimately, you have to go with the one that speaks to you.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  4. amcclell Jul 23, 2020

It is really a matter of preference. I have 2 chronographs in my collection but if I was limited to 1 watch it would be my 2254.50

5. Charlemagne1333 Jul 23, 2020

Second thoughts, there probably is a magic formula - just buy both, and tell your better half that you’ve made some wise investments ;)

OmegaP99 and amcclell like this.
  6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jul 23, 2020

Wise, yes. Investments, no.

kkt likes this.
  7. pdxleaf ... Jul 23, 2020

You may not get as many responses as you'd expect, unfortunately. Your question probably just sent 2000 people all over the world into paralysis. "Which one would I get? On the one hand, but on the other hand..?"

it's hard to do with covid and if you are trying to just buy online, BUT, if you can try them on in person that often makes one stand out over the other. It may even surprise you which one you choose.

Choosing between two watches never gets easy.

There is an unstated rule that if you ask for help in choosing then you should return and show which one you picked. Good luck!

OmegaP99 likes this.
  8. SkunkPrince Jul 23, 2020

After owning a Speedmaster for 15 years and wearing it nearly every day... I do not regret sending it to a new home.

Do you know what I used the chronograph for? Nothing. Oh, I tried to use it to remind me to get the laundry (apartment dweller) but that was too much trouble.

I got a Hamilton 38mm chronograph just recently and I'll never use that chrono function, either. Just wanted to say I had one.

I get more use from the bezel on a dive watch. But right now I am wearing a totally sweet Railmaster 60th LE that could easily be my only watch if I had to have just one (though my WatchCo Seamaster 300 or Seamaster Professional 2254.50 have the slight edge).

So get the Seamaster 60th LE or one of the Seamaster 300 models. Both are terrific in their own ways. And if you need a stopwatch, buy a damned stopwatch!

9. Charlemagne1333 Jul 23, 2020

True

Still, it’s better to be wise than wealthy... that’s my defence in twenty years time

10. ChiefMark Jul 23, 2020

@BradleyHuff If this is your only or main watch, I’d go for the Seamaster. Water resistance.

11. pdxleaf ... Jul 23, 2020

How do you cook oatmeal? And grill? What about takeout? How will you know when 20 minutes are up and you need to go? Anarchy.

My family asks me to time things they are cooking. Lose my chronograph and they won't need me.

Can't believe what I am hearing...

12. OmegaP99 Jul 23, 2020

I use my chronograph almost daily, use it for timing parking meters, the sprinkler this morning, when somebody says "we can eat in an hour" you better bet I will be tapping you on the shoulder in exactly one hour to go get tacos.

To the OP, both are excellent choices and so is the advice here, but the best is probably the statement to try them on. That's usually the best way to answer this question fully and to your satisfaction. I'm curious, you say "first Omega" so do you have other collector watches?

Welcome and have fun!

DaveK, artek and pdxleaf like this.
  13. SkunkPrince Jul 23, 2020

If you use a chronograph you have to remember to look at it.

If I need a timer I use a device that makes noise!

vintage hab and ChiefMark like this.
  14. pdxleaf ... Jul 23, 2020

My kids make noise when I forget to tell them times up.

Probably not what you meant.

15. OmegaP99 Jul 23, 2020

Ohhhh, I guess that works too.

gm182-vulcain-cricket-1.jpg

EricCsN and ChiefMark like this.
  16. llvhhui Jul 23, 2020

2 very different watches.
    If you like chronograph, go with speedy.
    If water resistance is important to you, get the Seamaster.

17. BradleyHuff Jul 24, 2020

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Seamaster right now, but I am still on the fence. I appreciate all the input.

18. killer67 Jul 24, 2020

the best tie breaker is to try them on wrist and get a feel for the wear and the look of each. Can’t emphasize how good the 2 choices you mentioned are

19. kkt Jul 24, 2020

What have you done so far to get an idea which you'd like? Try them on, if you haven't already.

20. BradleyHuff Jul 27, 2020

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I went with the hesalite Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. I think I might try to get the Seamaster at some point as well. Do you guys think the Moonwatch is a better choice than the 57 Speedmaster Anniversary edition?

ChiefMark, artek and OmegaP99 like this.