Forums Latest Members
  1. Volvolus Apr 27, 2019

Hi!

A bit scared of reprimands since it's my first post on the forum, but here it goes:

After hours of researching the forum, other vintage watch forums and of course the Constellation bible of omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com + months of scouring different auction sites i think I've finally found a candidate for my first real vintage watch. As so many others I've fallen for the classic "Pie Pan" dials, especially the golden ones with a crosshair.

This particular one is from a big auction house. The seller is an 85-year old man that, according to the auctioneer, has owned it his entire life. Current bid is 840 US dollar. From what I can tell, everything looks to be in good shape and genuine - the only problem is that the auctioneers does not want to open the case and therefore has no picture of the machinery. It's sopposed to work though, but hasn't been run in a machine. If I would buy the watch I would send it to an authorized Omega watchmaker for service, the auctioneers give me a 15 days right of withdrawal if something would not match my expectations.

To the questions:
    - With the given pictures and right of withdrawal, would it still be considered risky to buy this kind of watch without seeing the inside?
    - Do you, more knowledgeable people of the forum, agree with my assessment of authenticity?
    - Supposing the watch is OK on the inside, I would probably pay up to 1500 US dollar for it - is it reasonable?

Hope I didn't break any rules! Just tell me and I will change the post accordingly.

Thanks in advance!

hd_item_1063999_8c8a49085c.JPG hd_item_1063999_b1950043c9.JPG hd_item_1063999_d3230b5165.JPG hd_item_1063999_de3f7c421c.JPG

Waltesefalcon, micampe and Passover like this.
  2. Passover Apr 27, 2019

Hi Volvolus!

Excellent first post so no reason to be scared :)

To your questions:

Under the given situation you can risk to buy it IMO. A service will be necessary most likely, I'm quite shure the right movement is inside

From what I can see the watch is authentic, especially the dial

1500 Dollar with or without auction premium?

Good luck!

EDIT: Here on OF most people would not send a watch to an Offical Omega Dealer
    They would prefer for shure an independent watchmaker

Edited Apr 27, 2019
  3. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 27, 2019

Here on OF most people would not send a watch to an Offical Omega Dealer
    They would prefer for shure an independent watchmaker
    +1

donashby likes this.
  4. Gyges Apr 27, 2019

Hi! I’m not much of an expert but to me the bezel seems to be wrong. Compare to my very similar gold-cap Constellation (but without the crosshair). I think the right bezel replacement is hard to come by if it bothers you.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edited Apr 27, 2019
  5. Passover Apr 27, 2019

I think you are right, sorry!

I'm more familiar with ss ones so I missed that detail...

Bezel is clearly missing:

upload_2019-4-27_14-55-54.png

6. Volvolus Apr 27, 2019

Thanks for the fast reply’s guys!

Funny, didn’t know auctioneers charged THAT much for their items, seems to be 22,5%. 1500 USD is total though, including the premium. Concerning the watchmaker I’ve done some research and found one close by that’s gotten great reviews from fellow vintage omega collectors.

The bezel - is it just because it’s shouldn’t be steel? Seems to have the right angles otherwise.

7. Gyges Apr 27, 2019

It’s difficult to say whether it’s the bezel from a similar steel case or from a completely different watch, but in any case I think it’s a big minus, because it’s a very visible part of the watch and because I think replacements are difficult to find and expensive as well. I actually have another SS pie pan with a problem with the bezel (it has been glued back because it came off and wouldn’t stay there otherwise), so I guess this is a problem that’s not uncommon with these models.

8. Gyges Apr 27, 2019

image.jpg Here’s my SS version. Come to think about, I suspect that I might have the wrong bezel as well - it would explain why it fell off in the first place and why my watchmaker had difficulties fitting it back afterwards. You can see that the fit is not perfect, there’s some dirt between the crystal and the bezel.

Anyway, I wouldn’t buy that Constellation unless I had a replacement bezel ready at hand. (And I kind of regret I ever bought this SS Constellation of mine some 10 years ago).

9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 27, 2019

Options to return a watch are great. Be sure to read the fine print for any restocking fees

10. Vicke Apr 27, 2019

Missing bezel + worn crown + no movement pictures.
    That's a no buy to me.

Keep looking.

Biezmez, felsby, Davidt and 1 other person like this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 28, 2019

Welcome @Volvolus
    Good for you for doing your research - but you need to study the detail of the different Constellations.
    A gold cap watch will always have a (solid) gold bezel.

As others have said - it’s also a very much a no-buy from me.
    The case is in reasonable condition, the dial only ok (unless all of those marks are on the crystal) and the crown worn.
    Without the bezel this is a $500 parts watch at best.
    (BTW, I think even with a bezel it would never be a $1,500 watch IMHO)

Benbradstock, Davidt and cristos71 like this.
  12. ConElPueblo Apr 28, 2019

I follow the same auction as @Volvolus and came to the same conclusion as @Peemacgee - a parts watch. Unless you have contacts in Vietnam who can fashion you a 14K bezel at a reasonable price (@hoipolloi, I really think you should consider getting a batch made up! :D ), this will be a frustrating purchase.

Btw, this is an example of the slightly rose gold tinted hands on yellow gold Constellations I mentioned earlier this week.

Biezmez, felsby and hoipolloi like this.
  13. Passover Apr 28, 2019

Good that so many people took a look at this one, seems I didn't look close enough :)

Sherbie likes this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 28, 2019

I know a guy in the UK who makes bezels, STS use him. Prob not cheap if in gold though.

15. Gyges Apr 28, 2019

Where was that?

16. brunomoreno Apr 28, 2019

Here is São Paulo, Brazil there are several gold and silver jewelers that can make you anything you want. Just need the specs.

Be happy to help anyone in need of replacements.

17. Volvolus Apr 28, 2019

Thanks for all the feedback! Reading and considering all this, I'll pass on this watch and keep looking. Hopefully I'll find a better sample soon enough, If anyone has any leads i would gladly accept them :)

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Apr 28, 2019

Hence the need for Hoi's network :thumbsup:

In a thread I commented in recently.

19. Waltesefalcon Apr 29, 2019

Passing on this one was probably the best bet. Keep on looking, your eye will get better and I'm sure you'll find the right one for you soon.

20. Volvolus May 11, 2019

The search goes on! Every day I do a massive search of all the auction sites and private sellers, and today this popped up. Price of 1250 USD, 1 year warranty. Everything looks okey to my vintage virgin eyes, except of the crown that I assume should be decagonal (seller claiming originality though) and perhaps a bit of over polishing.

What do you think? A candidate as my first vintage watch?

Thanks in forehand!

2608872618.jpg 2643561887.jpg 2667343865.jpg 2638898087.jpg 3589734c-73f6-11e9-9696-21dab392f507.jpeg 03bb92e7-740a-11e9-ada4-1f6b08b470cb.jpeg
    felsby likes this.