Forums Latest Members
  1. grogthegreat Apr 17, 2016

Hi!
    So I came across an Omega Constellation as part of a group of watches that a coworker wanted to sell cheap. Most were quartz junk but the Omega was mixed in there like a nugget of gold. The watch was running but had been sitting for years so I had a local watch repair place do a clean and service. I've done a bit of reading recently about 14381 connies but haven't come across any with a non pie pan dial like this one. Is it just a rare dial or has it been replaced? I've read that the crown is correct for the 14381 model. I have no idea who Pete P Peters is but he must not have worn the watch much since there doesn't seem to be much wear on the stars.
    It is my first Omega and I love it!
    Anyways, here are some pictures!
    ConstellationPostService (2 of 5)-2.jpg Constellation (3 of 6)-2.jpg Constellation (4 of 6)-3.jpg ConstellationPostService (3 of 5)-3.jpg ConstellationPostService (4 of 5)-4.jpg ConstellationPostService (5 of 5)-5.jpg

pwojnar, ahartfie, GregH and 4 others like this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 17, 2016

Looks like a rare dial for that ref. Congrats.

3. ConElPueblo Apr 18, 2016

Absolutely gorgeous - a hell of a way to make your entry to Constellation ownership :)

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 18, 2016

Great first post
    Congratulations !
    And so begins the slippery slope....

5. spaniard Apr 18, 2016

That looks nice, sounds like you got a bargain.
    I always cant tell all the minute differences on a conny.
    Congrats

6. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Apr 18, 2016

Looks in pretty good condition.

If you had buffed the crystal (with polywatch) and the case (with a jeweler's cloth) a bit and would have taken the pics in daylight... I betcha a lot of people would go apeshit here (I would).

Enjoy!

7. grogthegreat Apr 18, 2016

Thanks for all the replies. Glad that the dial is original. It is so new looking that it make me concerned after seeing most constellations that have either patina or refinished dials.
    "And so begins the slippery slope..." <- What an unusual way to describe a cliff! I'm now trying to resist the urge to look for a cal.321 Seamaster although I know that one will cost me 10x what the Constellation and its service did.

I agree that the pictures weren't the most flattering. I was going for detail and not beauty. Let's fix that! Here are some outdoor pictures! ConstellationOutside (4 of 4)-4.jpg ConstellationOutside (3 of 4)-3.jpg

The 14k case has some dark discoloration in areas; concentrated in corners near the lugs. Is there any way to clean it without rounding off the edges or should I leave it alone? You mention polishing the crystal. Would you believe those pics I posted earlier were after polishing the crystal? Here is a before pic. It seems Pete Peters wore the watch daily till the crystal was hard to see through and then it went into a drawer were it sat for decades. The watch still have its original crystal with the tiny Omega symbol.

Constellation (6 of 6)-5.jpg

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 18, 2016

It just looks like gunk - I would just use a toothpick to scrape it off. Nice watch!

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2016

How much was the service ?
    Also did they fully remove crystal and strip parts down as weird to get back from a service still dirty around the crystal.

10. grogthegreat Apr 18, 2016

Sorry if I wasn't clear. That last picture was before the service and yes there was junk around the crystal that got removed by the sonic cleaner as part of the service. Underneath the gunk, some of the gold has a tarnished surface. The darkened surface seems as hard as gold and a toothpick doesn't leave a mark. I did ask the watchmaker to not polish the watch since I was afraid of over polishing. I bet a mild polish would take it out but I think I'll leave it alone and enjoy it as is. It is one of best looking non pie pan dials I've seen compared to pics online. The subtle contrast between the glossy outer ring and the semi gloss inner circle is hard to photograph but adds a lot is class in person.

11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 18, 2016

If not gunk, then it can probably be lightly polished out with a Jewler Rouge cloth.

[​IMG]

I would leave it as-is though since it might make the bezel edge a little duller.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 19, 2016

Nice piece - here is one of mine also 14k with the more "common" piepan dial with crosshairs and lume:

[​IMG]

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 19, 2016