First Constellation - Original one ?

Hello,

First thing, I have spent a lot of time on this forum trying to get a lot of knowledge on the omega vintage watches and I want to say thank you to all of you about this, it helped me a lot.

But as I am a newbie, I would like to know what do you think about my purchase, I directly put the sale link as the pictures are quite good : https://www.catawiki.com/fr/l/50578...-no-reserve-price-ref-168-004-homme-1960-1969

I have checked few points it looks like an original but I would like to know what do you think ? I think the dial have been restored as it looks very clean. Also there is a hit on the crown, I was wondering if it worth to get a new one ?

I just received it, I am working so did not get time to really activate the system but it looks working fine. Regarding this I had a question, if you knew what is the time reserve on this mechanism ? I was not able to find info about this.

Thanks,
Adrien

Hello Adrien,

Pictures are bit blurry but dial looks original. It's a 168.004 with original hidden crown. This model has great wrist presence because of the diameter and bezel. I dont see the hit on the crown. I would keep the original. Finding another hidden crown will be very hard. Not sure what the possible power reserve is of these. I see a lot of 50 hrs. But of course this depends on the service history and the quality of the service.

Hope this helps. And please post pictures next time. 馃憤

Thank you for the informations 馃榾.

Unfortunately, I have a bad news (I think), I am wearing my watch since yesterday and I have noticed that the second stops several times on the 50th. It stops few minutes and restart after and runs normally then. I suspect that there is an issue with the mechanism but I don't know how severe it is. Do you have any idea to confirm that the mechanism is involved ? And how much could it be to fix it ?

The seller told me that the watch have been serviced 2 months ago and he did not wear it since so it could also be the power reserve which needs sometimes, but I guess stoping on the same spot is something else ?

Thanks in advance,
Adrien

Here is the picture 馃榾 :

It appears the watch will need another service. If you believe the seller, it may be something small and easily fixed.

Most people don't get watches serviced, then turn and sell them. It can happen but most buyers factor in a fresh service on a vintage watch for precisely this reason.

If you don't have a good watchmaker local to you let us know where you live and someone may be able to help you with that.

If it stops at the same time, it could be something that blocks the movement of the hands or interferes in some way. I would get it looked at and at the same time ask the watchmaker if he can see any signs of a recent service. Disappointingly often the answer is "no".

I can see the damage to the crown in the pictures and if you are looking for a replacement, the only ones available (unless you strike lucky!) are the service crown which is similar, but wider so will protude from the case a bit. Bad for aesthetics, good for time setting on what is otherwise the single worst crown design ever.

Most people don't get watches serviced, then turn and sell them.
What people do tend to do is bring it to someone who will polish up a crystal and adjust the regulator to get keeping decent time. To some people that is a 'service' - it's just not what we consider a service which include taking the watch apart, cleaning, repairing, replacing any parts that need it and reassembling it - properly.

The sweep may be in contact with the crystal. I would get a watchmaker to check it and also check the amplitude. That will be one indication of how clean the movement is and if the watch needs servicing.