Forums Latest Members

Financial And Investment Considerations In The Collection Of Vintage Omegas

1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 7, 2012

My feeling is the collector in me is saying cal. 551 with the clean piepan dial design. The investor in me is saying 18k gold 168.005 with piepan dial and onyx insert markers precisely because of Asian demand. I think Asia has the edge here simply because the economic growth is there - projected GDP growth in 2013 for Asia ex-Japan is in the 5 to 5.5% range and that is very high especially in comparison to the growth in more developed countries.

And Hoi what is the answer to your question? - $4,000-4,500 for an example like that would be my estimate for an Asian buyer and 20-30% less if you excluded this market.

Finally, why the increased value for the date version when the non-date piepan should just as easily fulfill the Ba Gua design aesthetic.

2. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 7, 2012

Respectable Member mondodec

I appreciate your kind understanding, regarding my sentiments.

When I had the spare cash at one time, each time I saw a watch that turned me on, I let my heart did the thinking. I totally forgot that I have a head. Then it was relatively safe, since frankens and fakes were not everywhere, unlike today.

Of course, the pleasure of wearing a watch is the same as displaying them on a table and admiring their beauty. Once in a while, take a piece of soft cloth and clean them, one by one. It will make one feel like wanting to live, for another 1 000 years more.

Thank-you.

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 8, 2012

Lol :)

I will immediately take your advice.

Regards

Desmond

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 8, 2012

Hi Mike.

I am not quite sure why, because I am not one of them. You may already know that I mainly collect manual Omegas than the automatics of the 60's. What I am trying to do is reporting a phenomenon in a country, where people call that dial " ba qua dial" instead of "piepan"
    Why do they love it so much ? I really don't know . Only thing I am very sure that they spend big money to buy Connies from the 60's (date versions)
    I have seen and met a guy who spent 100K in 3 months to buy Omegas !!!

ps ....you wanna sale your rose gold piepan 561 yet ?? :D

or trade with my de luxe?

[​IMG]

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 9, 2012

:eek: I gave up to compete for Ba Qua dial...................

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 9, 2012

Thanks for the input Hoi. Regarding the piepans, I plan on holding on to these for the forseeable future. As you know, the NOS rose gold I have (I also have the original papers for the watch) is virtually impossible to find in that condition. A few of them were sold several years ago by Ara Gallery in Brazil and they all went for big money even back then.