Forums Latest Members

Finally joined the club. New to me Explorer 114270.

1. Donn Chambers May 31, 2021

After almost 20 years of collecting watches, I finally decided I needed to experience owning a Rolex. I didn't want anything fancy, just a 36mm-39mm Oyster Perpetual or Explorer, nothing else. I hate the Rolex cyclops and I still think my Seamaster 300 MC is better than any Submariner. ;)

After looking at ADs around town and around the country over the last three years, I became completely disillusioned with the process of buying a new version. I found none available in stock, requirements to pay 50-100% in advance to order one, or suggestions to buy a certain amount in other watches to "get on the list."

Not wanting to play these games, I decided to look used and that led me into the rabbit hole of overpriced 20-year old watches with no service history, or newer ones that were selling for 25-50% over retail. I also wanted to trade a 2017 Seamaster Pro that I no longer enjoyed. A few places were willing to take it, but only at a fraction of what I thought was fair (and I'm quite reasonable in my expectations), the rest only dealt in Rolexes.

I had pretty much decided to give up and wait out this bubble, but decided to give a jewelry dealer in Sarasota a try. They aren't a Rolex dealer, but did advertise used Rolexes and said they would accept trades from any "fine" Swiss watches. My wife and I were going down there for our first post-vaccine excursion, so it wasn't out of the way. Because we were going by car, it was easy enough to pack the box, papers, and extra links for the Seamaster "just in case."

Figured I'd find a bunch of overpriced datejusts with diamond dials and smaller ladies models. They had those, of course, but surprise, they also had an early 114270 for sale that looked to be in very good condition. The asking price was at the lower end of retail market rates (thank goodness for cell phones so you can check this on the fly) and it had been serviced last year by their onsite watchmaker and came with a 1-year warranty on that service. More importantly, they wanted my Seamaster AND offered a more than fair trade value.

Guess what I walked out with?

Explorer.jpg

It's currently keeping time to about -1 s/day, so I am very happy.

One other thing about this particular jewelry store -- their customer service was SO much better than any Rolex AD I have ever been in, even before it was clear I was going to buy the watch. Case in point -- while I was still thinking about the watch, they asked if we wanted our white gold wedding bands and wife's engagement ring cleaned for free. They also said they could replate all with rhodium while we went to lunch for a reasonable fee; they really needed this, so we said sure. It was only then that I decided to buy the Explorer. When we came back after lunch to pick up the rings, they told me they had decided not to charge me for the replating since I bought the watch! Now that’s service.

Eve, Engee, befobe and 22 others like this.
  2. Alfista88 May 31, 2021

Congratulations on the Explorer. I enjoyed reading about your AD visit. It's the warm, positive interactions like the one experienced, that helps one immediately beginning to bond with a watch.

3. Donn Chambers May 31, 2021

I agree. The fact they were being so nice really made me feel like I wanted the watch. If they had been cold and had “don’t bother me” attitude like so many shops I’ve been in, I probably would have passed.

4. Stripey May 31, 2021

Congratulations, and what a great experience!

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 31, 2021

Great story and love the watch. Congrats!

6. jaguar11 May 31, 2021

Congratulations on a good choice and a nice experience. Wear your explorer in good health.

7. Bran8 May 31, 2021

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. I think the buying process is important when one acquires a watch. It sets the tone for your relationship with the watch. I own only one Rolex watch (Milgauss) and think they are really great watches, but bought used to avoid all the negative issues with purchasing from an AD.

8. Pun May 31, 2021

Yours' is a great Rolex indeed. In fact this is the only one in their lot that doesn't scream Rolex on your wrist. I've a 39 mm mk1 and I can assure you that it's amazingly robust and simple watch to own. Wear it in good health.

9. DoctorEvil May 31, 2021

Congratulations on your purchase and hope you get many years of pleasure from it. Great to hear that the search for your first Rolex has finally come to a more than satisfactory conclusion. Great to hear as well that good customer service is not dead.

10. Jkbenn02 Jun 2, 2021

Congratulations on your new Explorer

11. jhross98 Jun 2, 2021

great watch

i am 90%+ vintage and always was "axed" to hate rolex and yet i find i wear my SS ceramic daytona as much or more than any other watch. it just feels so good on the wrist it is hard to take off.

that explorer would be a great candidate for any "1 watch collection" and i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

12. Mossback Jun 3, 2021

What a wonderful watch and a great story to go along with it. Well done!

13. Donn Chambers Jun 3, 2021

Thanks, everyone. I put this story out there to remind everyone that Rolexes aren’t particularly rare plus every town probably has at least one jeweler that deals in used Rolexes. Many of these shops aren’t up to speed on internet sales, so if you are patient enough and stop by enough of these shops, you can probably find the watch you want for a reasonable price.

Alfista88 likes this.