Forums Latest Members
  1. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 14, 2020

2. sonicosa Oct 14, 2020

Feeling quite down lately. Combination of the pandemic and my work / volunteer load have been weighing on me.

This 3 minutes with the peanuts gang is a welcome respite. Thanks.

3. Waltesefalcon Oct 14, 2020

Actually yes, I broke my foot in July which led to two surgeries and a very long recovery process that I'm in the middle of.

As a result of the broken foot my school decided I was the perfect candidate for virtual school, so I lost my classroom.

In a nutshell I'm stuck at home alone working on a computer (which I hate) cut off from my students and coworkers and am struggling with what seems like an interminably slow healing process.

inchpincher, Walrus, M'Bob and 4 others like this.
  4. LesXL Oct 14, 2020

I feel you... I've been battling ankle issues for the past 2 years. First I twisted my left ankle that took almost 6/7 months to fully heal, and obviously I twisted my right ankle 2 months after playing badminton... That was in March this year, and I'm only getting at the end of it now!

Frustrating part was that I was in a good running streak last year, and was looking to run the Brussels 20km race again... This year race was cancelled because of the pandemic, which was ok due my right ankle problem.

Now aiming to run in May the 2021 race edition hoping things are better with Covid.

Not being able to be without pain in your body plays a lot in your overall mood

DaveK likes this.
  5. RonJ Oct 14, 2020

I just realized I dance like Linus.

Mad Dog, Caliber561, kkt and 3 others like this.
  6. janice&fred Oct 14, 2020

Be grateful you're working. Many Americans are in a much worse situation.

7. BrianPankow Oct 14, 2020

When this all started I felt bad for those that had to work. Now I wish I was working. In quarantine, the only contact I have with other humans is take out food and five family members in the last eight months. While I am not a very social person I miss people. My weekly day volunteering at the food bank is missed very much. My Dr. said ‘no.’

That said, I have nothing to grumble about. 99.9% of the world had it worse than I. Make that 99.99. I and my family are so very lucky.

neilfrancis, M'Bob, LesXL and 4 others like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 14, 2020

I feel most for the 20 somethings who’s lives have been put on hold. Times are tough. Find small victories or joys to keep you going.

platogsd, Gentle Ben, M'Bob and 4 others like this.
  9. connieseamaster Oct 14, 2020

I'm currently 7 days post known exposure to Covid (careful around those 20 somethings :cautious:) and have yet to show any symptoms. Test results pending. I learned how to spatchcock a turkey, so that's something.

Larry S, DaveK and BlackTalon like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 14, 2020

Just a few days past World Mental Health Day, 10 October.

As some of you are aware, I am in an ongoing battle with Major Depressive Disorder, actually officially now Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder, along with a nasty side (dis)order of anxiety, at it's worst and presently for me it's debilitating. When you see me post on the forum I'm having a fairly good day, if I post something for sale, perhaps I've had a decent week. I am fortunate that I have a supportive family and friends, but this only goes so far when battling the shit in my head, believe me it's fucking hell!

If you or a loved one is anxious, depressed or worse yet suicidal (been there), please reach out for help.

https://www.who.int/campaigns/world-mental-health-day

https://www.dbsalliance.org/

https://www.nami.org/Home

Edited Oct 15, 2020
    riimar, NVWC, Larry S and 24 others like this.
  11. M'Bob Oct 15, 2020

I was grumbling about something the other day, so I went for a run. The guy who passed me running in the other direction was an above-elbow amputee. So of course, I felt like my issues were trivial...for a while. It would be nice, in the human condition, if the perspective we gain was more long-lasting.

There’s no doubt that being thankful for what you have is an important trait, and sees us through many hardships. On a more practical and realistic note: these insights don’t last for most of us, and times do suck for a lot of people right now. So it’s okay to gripe, share, listen, and realize that many of us are in a very similar situation.

TimeODanaos, sonicosa and platogsd like this.
  12. Walrus Oct 15, 2020

I brought one of the guys on my caseload to a MD appointment. Technically I’m not supposed to do this as they are supposed to have met a level of independence which doesn’t involve me playing chauffeur. Fortunately he let me know in advance and I was able to pull a few strings to make it happen. The reason I bring it up is this morning I was at his place going over something’s and his wife was telling me how much they love their apartment. She then when on to explain they had lived in a tent in the woods for a couple years until they straightened out and got off drugs. She said everyday she feels like she is waking up at the ritz Carlton. Got me thinking for a little while. Here is the office I set up while I wait for him
    image.jpg

13. TheNewOmegaMan Oct 15, 2020

I have found that watching episodes of Bob Ross is the most soothing and relaxing thing ever. It really brightens my day and as an added bonus it helps me fall asleep at night. Try it out for yourself in your spare time. I know all 31 seasons are on Youtube. :thumbsup:

14. BrianPankow Oct 15, 2020

Take care.

15. mjb Oct 16, 2020

My best wishes to all of you.

Back in March, my place of employment sent most of us home to work from home. My wife works for the same place, so we set her up in the dining room and my office is what would normally be the "formal living room" right across the foyer from her. So, no privacy for either of us. I bought and installed some doors and built a transom above that to help keep down the noise (we both spend a lot of time on the phone or on Skype calls) which helped.

Doors.jpg

Mid-April or so, I'm bummed. Not depressed, but I hate working from home, can't see my friends and co-workers (just to chat, etc.) even though I'm not really an outgoing social person, individually one-on-one I like people OK. And then I thought: man, you've got a very nice house to be stuck in, your job is secure, and your health is good. I had nothing to be sad about. Heck, we even had toilet paper!

So yeah, sometimes you just need to put things into perspective (as several of you have noted above).

FWIW we went back to the office in late June, and we've had several covid scares. I have an employee who both he and his wife got it and recovered. Another employee lost her husband to it. It's real stuff, and although now I don't particularly agree with our work policy (we're still in the office) it is what it is, so I just wear a mask when dealing with anyone, try to keep my distance, etc. I really feel sad for school-aged children and young adults who are missing out on so much, and of course for my fellow citizens of Earth who have lost their jobs or business, their health or their lives. Some days it is difficult to keep a positive attitude. Ya'all hang in there!

16. BrianPankow Oct 16, 2020

My wife is working from home. I’m retired so also “working” from home. Her employer is great, and is always checking in to see how she is doing and how she likes working at home. She loves it. I respond, “They didn’t ask me how I feel about it.?” Totally kidding here.

We dined out last night for the first time inside since March. The nearest non- DFB6A7EB-B478-4954-98EC-77C125E1B1C1.jpeg employee was 15 feet away. The gentleperson in the photo shared our table. Dang I should have put my watch on their wrist.

Edited Oct 16, 2020
    connieseamaster, Larry S and M'Bob like this.
  17. mjb Oct 16, 2020

He appears to be enjoying himself.

BrianPankow likes this.