Forums Latest Members

Feedback on this watch please.

1. SWH Feb 9, 2016

First post here prompted by recommendation from another forum. My friend wants to get his grandfather's vintage Longines operational again and sent it out for repair yesterday. He and I know nothing about this watch. The case is 14kt old. Anybody with a fund of knowledge on this piece? Besides an overhaul, what would you get done? Replace crystal? Clean dial? Polish the case? Sorry for the poor picture, I don't have access to the watch to provide more details. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. arkstfan Feb 9, 2016

Polish? No.
    Photo doesn't show the crystal to need replacing.
    Oil and clean unless opening up reveals issues.

3. SWH Feb 10, 2016

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing, but friend wants better cosmetic presentation.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 14, 2016

"Better presentation" is something people define very differently. First of all, a crystal polish goes a very long way to making a watch look great because it showcases the dial so nicely.
    To purists and collectors, a polished case looks horrid. It also does permanent damage to the case because it kills the sharp original edges of the metal.
    At least if he really want it to shine it should just be done gently with a jewelry buffing cloth, don't ask anyone else to "polish".

5. SWH Feb 14, 2016

Thanks. As close to original seems to be the prevailing recommendation, which I agree.