Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 8, 2015

I never finish anything I start...a serious character flaw. Anyway, i'm finally getting around to fixing up the first (2) out of a couple dozen Gallet Multichrons and tool watches which I accumulated over the last 2 to 3 years.

I purchased the below Decimal from our very own David (Modest_Proposal). Long story, boring - neither of us realized we "knew" each other from Omega Forums until after the transaction!

David is great guy and easy as pie to deal with. I also think he gave the watch up for too little money (((wink))) but he seems better at this stuff than me so who am I to judge? Lol

I expect the Decimal to turn out really well. The dial isn't perfect but the case is! It's true mint which is rare. The ORIGINAL crystal is a mess but everything on the inside looks superb.

The BLACK GILT MULTICHRON 30 was a home run (for me). I'm normally a singles guy with very little power..

. I purchased the black watch as part of an estate and the attorney and executor had just enough knowledge about watches to make themselves dangerous. I wound up purchasing all (5) available watches from the estate one of which is a crazy mint Red Date Rolex 6094 with box and papers. They were focused on the Rolex (as most people would) because they knew it was valuable. The serial number makes it one of the first two hundred Oysters "with date" made by Rolex, which is pretty darn cool.

I was willing to overpay a little for the Rolex which made them relax on the rest of the deal. Personally, I was very focused on this Gallet. These early black enamel gilt dials are incredibly uncommon and to find one in this condition (((blew))) my freaking mind. I'll spend the rest of my days looking for another one in perhaps 50% as good condition and I'll most likely fail. This watch was probably worn 20 or 30 times and the other 70 years or so resting in a socks drawer or a bank safe. It needs little more than a cleaning, some oil and to be adjusted to close to perfect. My watchmakers wheelhouse is Gallet so he knows exactly what to do and more importantly what not to do.

I'll share everything I know about this watch but if anyone knows more than I do please, please, please don't be shy!!!!

As always, thanks for looking :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Sep 8, 2015
    DirtyDozen12, pitpro, NT931 and 2 others like this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 8, 2015

I'll put up "after"pics once they're both finished.

(especially of the movements).

DirtyDozen12 and ELV web like this.
  3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 8, 2015

Very nice, I bet they will clean up just fine. Dibs on the black one!

4. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 8, 2015

Very cool.
    Spooky resemblance to the SkyChief.
    Here's my SkyChief Valjoux 72.
    Let's see the 6094.
    Picture 807.jpg

DirtyDozen12 and citizenrich like this.
  5. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 8, 2015

Thank you and your good eye!

Those Sky Chief's are super caliente lately. I'm not sure what it sold for but I recently saw one for sale and the guy was asking...wait for it...5 big ones. And, it sold! Maybe he took 2 grand for it but doubtful?

Sky Chiefs are fetching crazy numbers compared to just a couple of years ago.

Re: the 6094 - it's @ the bank but I'll take it out and photograph it asap. I've bought another one since but it's not nearly as nice as the first one. That one is @ the watchmaker because the date wheel is lining up half cocked which is apparently a common problem with 6094's...