Forums Latest Members
  1. Mathiasbeanluck Dec 11, 2013

Hello people.

Im looking for a vintage omega watch, and i have found one on ebay, but im not sure, if the watch is fake or real.

Link :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MENS-S...twatches&hash=item3f2cff0f3c&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Pictures:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages...mats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

There is many questions, i ask myself.

First, the watch is from japan, many fake from there?
    Its a vintage watch, but it looks like new.

Can anybody tell me, is this watch fake or real?

And have anybody buyed watches from ebay, user Happyhappy9877? He has 100 % positive feedback!

Please help me!

And thank you very much! :)

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2013

Yes, its real.

3. Mathiasbeanluck Dec 11, 2013

Thanks!

But how can you tell, it is not fake? Any advices?

4. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2013

Swiss elves tell us.

Get your own Swiss elves.

Okay, seriously - experience is why we know authentic and correct watches from redials and fakes. You can't buy experience or I'd sell mine for a tidy sum and go fishing.

Spacefruit, ron n, rhetoric and 2 others like this.
  5. Daniel B Dec 11, 2013

Those pictures have a Photoshop filter feeling to them....

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 11, 2013

Likely to be real, but the photos are badly overprocessed. It's the visual version of turning up the bass and treble on a radio, and both are distortions.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 11, 2013

The watch is genuine. How do we know? The way you learn any topic; spending time looking at pictures of watches, reading and participating in forum discussions, reading reference literature, etc.

Looking at the watch, one thing stands out as a bit odd. While the case looks to be in good condition and not over polished, the case back looks heavily polished. My 2c

8. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2013

Agreed. Somebody wanted to get rid of every trace of slipped case back wrenches and went to town on the polishing wheel.

9. Mathiasbeanluck Dec 12, 2013

Thanks a lot!

Maybe a stupid question, but what is "Swiss elves" ?

How can i get my own? Google cant answer my question...

Thanks .

JimInOz and cristos71 like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 12, 2013

Swiss Elves is a euphimism

euphemism
    ˈjuːfəmɪz(ə)m/
    noun

1. 1.​
      a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.
      "the jargon has given us ‘downsizing’ as a euphemism for cuts"

However, in this case, what ulackfocus is trying to convey is the fact that "Swiss Elves" are the little parts of his brain (and this applies to many other people on this forum) who have spent decades looking at watches, buying watches,researching watches, fixing watches, selling watches and finally, advising others about watches. It's an intrinsic almost supernatural skill that can't be learn't overnight.

Sometimes the Swiss Elves get a bit tired of answering questions from one post members, only to never hear from them again and never to receive a thankyou, or even to find they have made any active participation in the forum.

On the other hand, the Swiss Elves go into tiny raptures and hold Elve Only parties when appreciation of their advice or guidance is acknowledged, and they are even more rapturous when they have captured the imagination and input of the newcomers they have shone their light on.

I hope this answered your question.

Cheers

Jim