Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 18, 2012

Respectable Members

I have been told and also read in this forum, regarding fake Omega Seamaster 300m. Apparently there is plenty of them, around.

I am just wondering, whether there is also a fake Omega Seamaster 120m 166.073, around? If so, how do we tell?

Thank-you.

2. MyVintageOmega Oct 18, 2012

Best recoarse would be to google (real deeply) ....... I have done so a wee bit and found that a company did put out fakes although not prolifically. It had stubbies and a painted calendar window. Can't seem to find Images of it. There are many repainted dials out there and lot's redone with NOS parts. The majority are originals and frankins I have found. Again this is only from a mild research......Happy hunting!

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

If there is money to be made by faking a watch, I'm sure it has been done.

The more the genuine article is worth, the better the fakes are likely to be.

And the more careful you need to be as welll,
    gatorcpa

4. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

I am not qualified to search on Google deeply, since I am not computer-savvy. Once I did try to make a relatively deep search on Google over something else and when I hit the wrong option, it brought me to a hawker centre.

I have made up my mind to give the 300m 166.024 a miss, since there are too many fakes and frankens, around. I will only purchase one, if it comes from one of the respectable members in this forum or someone who he knows. So far, there is none around.

Meanwhile, I am on the verge of closing a deal with a friend who has worn his Seamaster diver 166.073, the past 25 years or so. Unfortunately, my computer does not allow me to upload its picture here. Strangely I can upload it, using my email. Any volunteer here who will allow me to send him an email with the picture of this watch (only one pix) and then he can kindly upload to this forum, for opinions. Very unlikely it is a fake but who knows.

Thank-you.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

I agree, there is always a fake around and some of them are so difficult to tell.

Years ago, most of the fakes were so crude and very easy to detect. The frankens and fakes of today are very close to the original pieces. One wrong move, if one's knowledge is not up to scratch, chances are he or she will end up, owning either a franken or a fake.

Thank-you.

6. MyVintageOmega Oct 19, 2012

Just sent PM.........my email .................I on the other hand have never loaded up via email, but I can try perhaps.

7. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

I appreciate your offer.

How do I PM you?

Thank-you.

8. MyVintageOmega Oct 19, 2012

Click on my ICON,,,,,, than that rectangular red box opens up......in that box you see (start a conversation)<< click on that and it opens up the converstaion window......type away......../good luck

9. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

I appreciate but please bear with me, since you are teaching an old dog, a new trick.

I shall give it a try and hopefully, it works.

Thank-you.

10. MyVintageOmega Oct 19, 2012

Image...compliments of (Member Seamonster) Omega Seamaster 120m aaa.jpg

11. MyVintageOmega Oct 19, 2012

I'am not the forum expert on this watch...........but I sense it's a keeper:thumbsup:

12. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Greatly appreciated and I really do not know, as to why my computer does not allow me to do it - must be a case of a bad carpenter blaming his tool.

Kindly let me know, whether or not this watch is OK, more importantly whether it is a franken or a fake. He told me, it has the caliber 565, which I think is about right. Once I have purchased it, I shall take the picture of its movement and of course, I shall require the favor of MyVintageOmega to upload it.

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  13. MyVintageOmega Oct 19, 2012

In my opinion (Non-expert) the Cal. is correct and the watch is a beauty////cheers!

14. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageWatch

It is appreciated, your comments.

Though not an expert for this model reference, I am sure you will be able to advise, whether or not the hands and hour-markers have been re-lumed, while the dial is not a service-dial.

There are several 300m of the 60's which are attractive but the fact, they come with a service-dial, I feel a little uncomfortable, since I am after something that is as far as possible factory-original, bar winding-crown which is easily available, fortunately.

Thank-you.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2012

Wow that is a nice dazzler. I call dibs if you ever sell. :thumbsup:

16. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela

My friend is still undecided, since he is still negotiating with his friend a Planet Ocean. If his deal falls through, the hunt is not over, for me.

There is one on eBay and what do you or fellow members think of this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-196...546463692?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item519e328bccPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank-you.

17. MyVintageOmega Oct 19, 2012

To me all seems factory original from hands,bezel,dial,crystal and Cal....

18. flame Speedmaster Neil Oct 19, 2012

Hi

I think you may want to negotiate a little harder with your friend.... ::book::

Of course , DYOR....

Best - Neil

19. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

You have made a sound judgement of the watch and with it, I am more than ready to go. Unfortunately, he will only part with the watch, if he is able to get a friend's Planet Ocean.

It is now 50-50 and I shall wait, till he decides. I am still hunting at half-pace, however. Preference will be given for this 120m, though.

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  20. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 19, 2012

Respectable Member flame

I have done a little research and I think his watch is within my budget and with a little surplus, compared to getting a factory-original 300m. As you know there are now more 300m fakes and touched-up ones than factory-original examples, infiltrating the market.

I think, those who own the factory-original 300m and 120m are sitting tight with their possession.

This friend is really keen to sell his watch, subject to his getting another, a Planet Ocean. However, should I come across another than turns me on, I shall give my friend, a notice.

Thank-you.