Fair price for this 145.022 (-68?)

Recently got offered this 145.022 with serial 27323xxx. My first question is - Is it a -68 based in the serial? According to speedmaster101 -68 should have a low serial (between 26m to 27m). This example is just above 27m.

My second question is if this is a -68. How much would be fair for this example? Bezel doesn’t seem correct as it should have a DON bezel if I’m not mistaken. The dial has an applied metal logo which should be correct? The 1171 bracelet with 633 ends seems incorrect for the reference which I don’t mind. What else should I look out for? 😀
Here’s some pictures I got from the seller.

IMG_2531.jpeg IMG_2530.jpeg IMG_2528.jpeg IMG_2526.jpeg IMG_2525.jpeg IMG_2524.jpeg IMG_2523.jpeg IMG_2519.jpeg

Try ilovemyspeedmaster.com for the serial.

For valuation, start with the speedmaster101 price chart for the reference in GOOD condition. Then subtract the value of a period correct bezel (the OP bezel is a service piece without much value) and add the value of the bracelet. Both items are readily available on the open market, so their values are easy to research with a little effort.

The bezel is a replacement as you said, the crown is also a service one. For this reference the crown needs to have the narrow flat feet Omega sign. Case has seen some polishing and the dial has some markers which are not very attractive.. It has some issues but it also depends on the price and on how much you care about the things I mentioned. It could be a daily wearer but for future resale you need to take into account these issues..

As Dan says, start with a value in sp101 price chart and add/subtract depending on condition and parts.
If the case and dial are good then start there. If the dial has any damage or the movement isn’t good, then start with fair-good. It’s hard to determine whether there’s any damage to the dial from those pics.

Further to the advice already offered - an 1171 bracelet is not correct for a 68ST. The example fitted is a much later service replacement.

How much is the seller asking?

How much is the seller asking?

Great point. I don’t understand why people keep posting ‘I’ve been offered this watch and want to know how much I should pay” threads, but never venture the asking price.

Keep in mind that the price chart is without bracelet. It is also for sales between motivated collectors, which to me means collectors pay less for bad examples but more than normal people would for great examples. You won't see the same pricing from dealers.

Thank Y’all for input and advice!
He’s asking around 6500 USD for it.

Look at the FS section on this forum, there have been a few posted there lately.....$6.5K is too much for this.

Yes, it’s probably too much. I will keep looking. Safest bet is to buy from a trusted seller here 👍

I wouldn't pay premium for a transitional.

Why not? Most everyone else would. The 68ST was only offered for ~1yr and the unique dial makes it quite collectible versus later examples of the 145.022.

Why not? Most everyone else would. The 68ST was only offered for ~1yr and the unique dial makes it quite collectible versus later examples of the 145.022.
Pay a premium vs a 145.012-68? I wouldn’t: the 321 wins for me. Pay a premium vs a 145.022-69, certainly since it has a nicer dial in several respects as you say. Don’t worry, the Spambot above often posts enigmatic single liners with no explanation. It’s best to ignore it I find.

These are the last 321 movement watches in general but also the last of the original NASA order as I understand it. They didn’t buy more until 1980-ish with the -78 radial dial Alaska III.

I’m building one now as a NASA tribute with engravings. I like it has the later triangular seconds hand but the nice step dial with applied logo, screw in pushers and just a general “modernizing” of the classic 321 watch of earlier years. The best of old and new in my opinion.

I can’t comment on the price but a correct bracelet and bezel will not be inexpensive. I think that gap is too wide for how it is offered at $6500.

I will say it is more sane than eBay pricing but the fees have to be covered there. I always sell higher there than other places where I’m not on the hook for those fees.

These are the last 321 movement watches in general but also the last of the original NASA order as I understand it. They didn’t buy more until 1980-ish with the -78 radial dial Alaska III.

I’m building one now as a NASA tribute with engravings. I like it has the later triangular seconds hand but the nice step dial with applied logo, screw in pushers and just a general “modernizing” of the classic 321 watch of earlier years. The best of old and new in my opinion.

I can’t comment on the price but a correct bracelet and bezel will not be inexpensive. I think that gap is too wide for how it is offered at $6500.

I will say it is more sane than eBay pricing but the fees have to be covered there. I always sell higher there than other places where I’m not on the hook for those fees.

You might be thinking of the 145.012. The OP is looking at the 145.022-68, which was the first use of the 861 in the Speedy. (Or a typo?)

This is why many people (not all clearly) like this reference, as the dial looks like the earlier 321 watches but has a movement that is easier to service (according to the watchmakers I spoke with.)

First 861 has the painted logo but retains the nice step dial. 68 is the transition year for sure and I had thought for quite a while that 67 was the last year of the 321.

I am not aware of any (original) 861 with the applied logo. But I could be wrong too.

First 861 has the painted logo but retains the nice step dial. 68 is the transition year for sure and I had thought for quite a while that 67 was the last year of the 321.

I am not aware of any (original) 861 with the applied logo. But I could be wrong too.

More good stuff: https://speedmaster101.com/145-022_update/