Fair price for silver officers trench watch

Hi all,

First time poster here, but a massive Longines fan with a small collection of pieces I find wearable and interesting in some way or another.

This afternoon I stumbled across a very clean looking officer’s .925 trench watch with a serial that dates it to 1915. It’s a piece that I find very appealing for a few reasons, but I don’t want to get too deep into talking price with the seller until I consulted with the experts!

What do you all think about the originality of this watch (specifically dial, handset, crown), and what would you value it at, in todays market? Details as below:

DETAILS:
first off, apologies for the lack of pics, I have just the one taken on my own wrist, and while the seller was able to open the back and bezel, I didn’t have the presence of mind to ask for a picture when he did.

CASE/CROWN: ~32mm .925 silver, externally heavily oxidized to black, which I particularly like. Interior was exceptionally clean and untarnished. Lug width was about 16mm, and it had a hinged caseback and dust covers with hallmarks and stamped serial that matched the movement (3,3XX,XXX range). There were no “Swiss” or “Longines” signatures on the case, leading me to believe it was produced locally for the movement. The crown was particularly interesting as it perfectly matched the case patina and looked very at-home on the case, but does not match many of the more “onion-style” crowns I’ve seen on contemporary examples. Caseback hinge was tight, case was clean with no sign of repairs. Crystal was acrylic, in good shape.

DIAL/HANDSET: this is where I’m curious for your opinions. The dial was near perfect, with the exception of the very odd fading at 4 and 5 o-clock. I am super weirded out with this, as I would not expect this on an enamel dial of this period, but your thoughts/theories appreciated. Under a loupe there was no sign whatsoever of repairs, not even any hairlines. If this dial were painted post-firing, do you think it’s odd that just one region has the damage? Otherwise, the handset looks “right” to me, but I’m happy to be corrected! I’ve attached a photo I found of a similar example with the same dial but a spade handset (serial on that example is later too - 1918).

MOVEMENT: I just had a glance at the movement but it was a cal. 13.33 with a crown push/pull setting. It had a silver finish, and was quite clean with no visible marring to the screwheads. Winding and setting felt nice and tight. I’ve attached a picture of the same caliber (in much worse shape) for reference.

Sorry for the wordy description, but hopefully it gives you a fuller idea of the watch than just the one photo. Thanks!

A2EDB52C-83E1-4F69-A974-F69C64D256EC.jpeg 8A205880-B336-4FDB-AA5F-D715B7870D87.jpeg B9C7CB99-FD61-4BA0-A29E-069F7BE20A9A.jpeg
Edited:

The "Longines" signature looks quite wonky, to me. Also, the faded 4 and 5 are very strange for an enamel dial. Though it would be nice to see more photos of the dial from different angles, I would already be inclined to pass on this watch due to these suspicious traits/flaws. Regarding the hands, I think that neither one is correct. The hour hand is too long and the style of the minute hand does not look right. The style of the crown is not typical, either.

This is why I registered here! Thank you for your comment - looking at the minute hand I agree totally that it overshoots the track. The dial signature looked much tidier in person, I think the imperfections in the crystal make it look a little “fishier” in the pic than it actually was.

Juergen

My pleasure.

The other example that you posted looks very nice. I am not exactly certain about pricing as similar watches do not come up for sale very often. Dealers can ask two or three times what a similar example would sell for on eBay. I could see a dealer asking 1000-1500 USD, whereas one might sell for 500 USD elsewhere.

Gotcha, that’s super helpful - this dealer was asking around 1k, which exceeded eBay comps for some similar examples with some issues, but might still would be worth it to me for a particularly clean and original example (which this one does not appear to be).

That said, handling this one in the metal only makes me want a teens/twenties officer style Longines more - the hunt continues!

It is next to impossible to tart up a vitreous enamel dial like the dial on the subject watch. On occasion, we run into vitreous enamel dials that have had the dial name printed on it with India ink. A moistened tissue and a wipe on the printing is sufficient to determine if it is India ink! The ink will smudge! I have included a picture of a Longines of my own which has a vitreous enamel dial similar to the subject watch. Mine, I can certify has NOT been monkeyed with. My Longines might be a few years newer than the subject watch. But for your own information, compare the printing on the two watches. The subject watch looks okay to me.

P1010279.jpeg

A beautiful example!!! I am a sucker for a good cushion case, and I would agree that the dial signature looks quite similar. When the bezel was removed on the subject example, I did angle the dial to try to see it the print had the characteristic “raised” print that might indicate that it was not fired, but the print wasn't perceptively raised and the dial looked like any other enamel dial, except for the fading. Definitely a mystery.

Not sure about those enamel dial techniques - but even if correct —and with the movement in good condition—I would not pay more than 550 USD.