Forums Latest Members

failing vision conundrum - watch sizes and date/no date

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 4, 2019

most date apertures are useless to me. i just cannot make them out unless it's a big date watch.

thing is, i don't like the larger watches. in fact i really don't even want to wear a 41mm, let alone a 42 or 43 which is much easier on my eyes.

it's gotten a little better with the selection of no date watches but to be honest it's hard to see even a 36/38mm watch without a date..especially a busy printed dial.

i don't don't know what to do about this

2. shishy www.hpmor.com Aug 4, 2019

we need a "dear diary" thread

Hnansen, apsm100, blufinz52 and 2 others like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 4, 2019

Have you thought about the smaller Pam’s? Super easy to read and no date.

I tried on the 47mm and it wore much smaller then my 45.5.

The 45mm’s wear surprisingly small. I think they have smaller too.

shishy likes this.
  4. shishy www.hpmor.com Aug 4, 2019

Out of curiosity, what size is your wrist?

5. Junta Aug 4, 2019

I think it has less to do with size and more to do with legibility. Less reflective material and more contrast.

JwRosenthal and Nobel Prize like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 4, 2019

7.25-7.5

I wear a lot of 42mm tool watches and vintage 36mm pieces mostly.

Waltesefalcon and shishy like this.
  7. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 4, 2019

if watches aren't long lug to lug i can go bigger. the hang just ruins it for me. i'm 7"

i had one of those vintage philip 1000m caribbean's which was large and short, but i just couldn't warm up to it and sold it......maybe a doxa sub should be on my list?

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 4, 2019

It’s my problem too. I need shorter lug to lug as I have a square wrist. You know the smaller SKX seiko might be an option. I can’t remember it’s reference number. It’s a very square watch.

If you have a Pam dealer near you check them out. I was surprised how small the 47mm was. You can’t beat the readability.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 4, 2019

It’s legibility not size as @Junta said. Of course if you get an Iwc big pilot and you can’t read it then it’s more a matter of getting a service dog to read it for you.

my Aqua Terra Blue is one of the more legible watches I have, not really very big. Same for a simple PLanet ocean or a Rolex sub or explorer. Dark dials and nice present hands.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 4, 2019

This is a 44 with short lugs wears a lot smaller that most 44mm watches
    Super easy to read dial in all light conditions. Date is readable without glasses
    Probably my easiest watch to read. Numbers are lume also so night legibility is just as good.
    Tip, look outside your brand range ;)
    Titanium coated so as light as a feather also.
    A8B27887-C22D-4C9F-9F19-CDA6BD0095E6.jpeg

Nobel Prize likes this.
  11. michael22 Aug 5, 2019

I have the same problem.
    Contrast is important. Shiny gold hands on a bright white dial are a disaster.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 5, 2019

and It’s also Brad Pitt’s choice so you may not see well but people will certainly see you and think... wow!

13. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 5, 2019

i don't know. maybe a different prescription is needed

i can't wear my glasses anymore in low light and i can't read with them on. i couldn't get use to bifocals either.

now i'm even breaking out my magnifying glass to read small print after taking my glasses off. mainly i just use my glasses for driving and going outside to do things. they're practically useless inside

maybe i should just hold on to my dievas because i can see it perfectly even though i despise the size

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 5, 2019

It does look like you need another prescription

15. Wryfox Aug 5, 2019

Same boat as I can no longer tell time at a glance anymore with most vintage watches

But what does help is this....
    -Small hour numbers on dial(ideally, no numbers)
    -High contrast (light hands on dark background, ideally white on black)
    -Short hour hand, long minute hand(both same color), unequal widths
    -Second hand(or third hand) is different color so you can't mistake for hour or minute hand.

Since I almost exclusively collect vintage, this is a hard order to fill.

Most vintage cases are 35-40mm and small faces.

So here is the best visibility of all my vintages....can still tell time at a glance
    20170808_133832.jpg

If you were to go with something more modern, I would choose a diver..a real diver with hands designed to be read underwater and that follows above criteria.

16. gostang9 Aug 5, 2019

I wear this one often and it’s legibility is one of the biggest reasons... including the date.

B92AADAB-2FB6-4475-9B17-316373CC8F95.jpeg

blufinz52 likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 5, 2019

I’m a influencer ;)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. Longbow Aug 10, 2019

Forget Bifocals, forget the search for the perfect panorama date and get yourself some high quality progressive varifocal lenses.

I went down the exact same route some years ago and finally ended up with lenses optimized for my preferences in terms of which areas of the lenses were allocated to which viewing distances.

I can’t even begin to describe what a great feeling it is when you can once again glance down at a watch at arms length and clearly read everything on the dial.

Here’s some info to point you in the right direction:-

Rodenstock
    https://www.rodenstock.com/uk/en/progressive-lenses.html

Zeiss
    https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/i...gressive-lenses/progressive-individual-2.html

Hoya
    https://www.hoyavision.com/uk/discover-products/eye-care-professionals/progressive-lenses/

19. Rman Aug 10, 2019

You definitely don’t have a problem making your way around the keyboard. The obviously choice for you is the Bradley watch. Dial can be felt just like a keyboard.

DFA1DCF2-22E9-4725-BF18-B2EF90F32B5E.jpeg

larryganz and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  20. Lazy_Lightning Aug 18, 2019

I'm close to 50 and in the same boat, the best option for me is something with a cyclops eye or no date.