Forums Latest Members
  1. Albert Blue Apr 8, 2017

Hello all.. New to forum and did a search but came up a bit uncertain about having my watch serviced. I have a 1963 Railmaster with a white face. It was a gift from my father back in 1976. It's occasionally worn, keeps good time but I've not have it serviced in many years. I left it with the factory store in NYC for a service and have been advised that the hands are no longer available and have to be replaced for the watch to be serviced.

I'm interested in keeping it as original as possible but more importantly would like it to be in good working order. I've read on this forum of somewhat spotty attention to detail during a factory service. Question: does it kill the value of the watch if the original hands are replaced? I have instructed the rep who is assisting me to show me any parts prior to servicing. They said they would try to match the original hands as closely as possible. Thoughts?

I do not have the original band and no intent of selling but would prefer not to destroy the value of this piece. Thanks in advance for your input.

image.jpeg
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 8, 2017

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 8, 2017

noelekal, gemini4 and AveConscientia like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 8, 2017

Did they say what was wrong with the original hands?

You may be able to convince them to reuse them.

Safer would be, as noelekal says, collect the watch and visit an independent.

Cool watch btw!

AveConscientia likes this.
  5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 8, 2017

Likely nothing. Omega replaces the hands as part of a service. The good news is they give you they return the originals which can be put back on.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 8, 2017

Yes, they usually do. But in my experience, they can be convinced to keep original Parts if you can speak with someone directly, usually the master watchmaker (aka supervisor).

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 8, 2017

Which service center?

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 8, 2017

Swatch Repair Center in Toronto.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 8, 2017

I've had no such luck with the Seattle service center

10. Albert Blue Apr 9, 2017

I was on business in NYC and dropped the watch off at their factory store on 5th Avenue. I live about 40 miles south of Atlanta however. I was told that the watch is looked at in a service center in NJ to determine if it needs to be sent overseas for service. Mine evidently Is. It is my understanding that the hands would be rendered useless by the service/ removal. Same thing for the stem.

If decide to retrieve my watch, do any of you know of a shop or person in the metro Atlanta area who is up to the task? Thanks for your collective insight.

Edited Apr 9, 2017
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 9, 2017

I think @dougiedude can help you there. The "rendered useless" response from the service center is the standard response. I have replaced a few sets of hands after service and never had an issue but better to have the originals reattached, in the first place.

12. M'Bob Apr 9, 2017

If you're really concerned, take to a good local to have the hands removed, send out without worry, and replace the originals back when it's in your procession again.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2017

They will draw the line at parts that they deem are likely to cause a problem - the last thing they want is a warranty repair. Is it Moc you speak to there?

14. Albert Blue Apr 10, 2017

Moc? I'm guessing that's a supervisor.