Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 30, 2012

This could be a nice watch:

Rare montre oméga seamaster or 18k certifiée chronomètre calibre 354 à butée: http://bit.ly/Ugsb9r

Seller claims original dial (google translate from the French), but I think it is a redial:
    - the Fab Suisse at the top of the dial
    - the cross hairs not perfectly intersecting with the 6 and 9 markers
    - crosshairs just missing the M, hence failing the MOY test

Views?

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 30, 2012

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 30, 2012

Looks like a nice example to me, there's also the fabrique en suisse on the bridge which supports the Fab Suisse on the dial. I think the case is also a French gold case?

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 30, 2012

Fascinating, thanks. Now I am very interested in it.

5. chiko7734 Nov 30, 2012

You should go for it, looks like a nice one! I have seen fab Suisse in that same location on a 352 chronometer on another forum.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 30, 2012

Definitely a french cased omega - same arrangement as in south america during that period - the movements were imported into france and cased there in locally produced cases. These productions are less collectible and thus valued lower than their swiss cased counterparts.
    The dial to me looks original despite the crosshairs being slightly off. The MOY rule only applies to constellations - in fact most of the seamaster chronometre dials don't comply with this.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 30, 2012

Can't quite justify it at the moment. In a few more months I should have the $ for a solid gold piece. For now, I need to sit on my hands....

Unless of course it goes cheap ;)

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 30, 2012

Here is a ref 816 Medicus I have with the same FAB. SUISSE on the dial.

IMG_1870.JPG

Tire-comedon likes this.
  9. Terrymusgrove Dec 25, 2016

Following on from this Discussion, I've got a very unusual Omega I have just been given by my fiancé for Christmas.

It's a 6B/159 Omega White faced mechanical watch.

After a short amount of research, I believe it to be a 40s/50s era Air Ministry watch.

Oddities however:

It doesn't seem to have a full serial number on the back, only the pre-cursor 6B/159 - missing the following numbers giving details of year of manufacture.

And more strangely ( and the connection with this article) IMPORTE DE SUISSE below the 6. Why would a British military stamped aircrew watch have a French law imposed expression on its face?

It was purchased from a small antique shop in my village in Suffolk where I live. The home of the Allied Air Forces during WW2.

Any comments or thoughts would be great. It was purchased for me as I'm a military aviator myself and it's history is very interesting!!

image.jpg image.jpg
  10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Dec 26, 2016

Nice and unusual.
    Here in the 1940 catalog :
    [​IMG]

The very specific font for the numbers on the dial of yours would date it between 1941 and 1943 in my opinion. Am I right?

Same dial here on a circa 1943 ref CK2175 (with 23.4SC also) :
    [​IMG]

11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 26, 2016

Terry - you would be better served starting a new thread for this watch. Be sure to read the sticky thread about posting vintage watches for evaluation.