Forums Latest Members

F2F sale that went wrong (news story)

1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 19, 2020

CA is probably because most people who live there are not 'gun people' to start with.

Except Arnold. But most of his guns are too big to conceal anyway :D

Uniqez likes this.
  2. JwRosenthal May 19, 2020

He has his own gun show going on
    7F93257F-A8FD-4E68-907E-2186BAB5AFAC.jpeg

3. demchocholips May 19, 2020

California was not always so anti gun. There’s interesting history behind CA gun laws. The Mulford Act of 1967 banning open carry in the state was passed after legally armed members of the Black Panthers protested on the steps of the California statehouse. This scared state politicians of the time, and a wave of gun laws followed.

glownyc likes this.
  4. Evitzee May 19, 2020

Quite right, I think Californian's are more athletic and that tends to lead them toward a knife culture.

OJ.jpg
    OmegaP99 and ExpiredWatchdog like this.
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 19, 2020

Even though many consider it to be a year-round paradise, it can be cold there at times. A pair of snug gloves is recommended. Very, very snug gloves...

"Go, OJ!" I had a small group of people at my house when the "high-speed chase" came on TV. We watched for an hour or so, riveted to the screen, and to our beers.

watch3s likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal May 19, 2020

And the sale of white Bronco’s sky rocketed.

7. JwRosenthal May 19, 2020

And we can’t forget that California also had produced some of the finest serial killers of all time. Go Bruins!

8. glownyc May 19, 2020

Yup supported and signed into law by then governor Ronald Reagan with support from the NRA.

9. JwRosenthal May 20, 2020

Absolutely, brown people with guns are scary :eek:....::facepalm2::

glownyc, Archer and Peemacgee like this.
  10. timecube May 20, 2020

2 heads are better than none.

kkt likes this.
  11. valkyrie_rider May 20, 2020

Jokes aside, Mr Terminator was pretty shitty regarding gun law. He signed the law banning rifles chambered in 50 BMG because... they could be used for... something?

Now there are people who think that even Desert Eagles on 50AE (a different caliber) are also illegal in California.

12. SkunkPrince May 20, 2020

I sold some guitar stuff yesterday and thought about bringing a gun (I have a concealed carry license) but I had to travel across state lines and the state I was traveling to does not respect my license, so I came without.

I personally think anyone who carries and does not have previous training should seek it out. I've been to three classes so far and when they start up again I think I should go shoot another training day.

larryganz likes this.
  13. SkunkPrince May 20, 2020

Spending $4 a round to send it down range. A .50BMG rifle is quite the investment. When they were made illegal in California, the person who owns Barrett FIrearms said that he would no longer provide service to any of his rifles owned by law enforcement in the entire state.

14. glownyc May 20, 2020

::facepalm1::

15. demchocholips May 21, 2020

To get my NC permit I only needed to attend an eight hour training course, which was mostly classroom based with ~30 minutes of range time. I definitely think anyone who carries would benefit from additional safety training above this bar plus regular shooting practice. Even something like how to holster a pistol safely should be required learning and practiced often.

16. JwRosenthal May 21, 2020

I agree with the benefits of training but the “only needed” is my problem when you arm the populous- people react to stress differently and there isn’t a standardized test for that.
    To use my supermarket example again, the woman who went ballistic on me (and her husband has to step between us btw) was probably a perfectly sane and lovely person (and if my state was a CC state could have qualified) who was under the stress of chaotic pandemic shopping (OMG- he has the last roll of toilet paper), had probably been to 4 different places that day with other people yelling and running through isles hoarding microwave popcorn, and I ask her to get away from me which she took as a personal affront and blew her stack.
    I can trust to have an intelligent conversation with most of the population on the globe if we had an opportunity to sit and talk, but add panic into that (guy grabs your watch, you give chase, your heart is beating and adrenaline pumping) and we have a scenario for horrible choices to be made.
    The military and police receive live action simulation training on how to deal with stress while handling a firearm- perhaps the same kind of training should be mandatory for anyone wanting to carry.

17. SkunkPrince May 21, 2020

These are the types of classes I attended, though the best that can be taught within a budget and constraints of the range.

It startles people when your 1918 Model of 1911 .45ACP starts booming, though. :D

18. SkunkPrince May 21, 2020

It is wise to practice as much as you can and can afford. I personally would like to see all the Glocks and copies with their non-safety trigger "safety" out of the hands of just about everyone. There is something to be said about a pistol with a manual safety and rigorous if not religious use thereof.

I mention above I shoot 1911-pattern pistols, one a 1918 Colt used in WWI (or probably not). Even after 110 years, still one of safest and most effective pistols available, even if it does weigh a metric crapton.

19. demchocholips May 21, 2020

After owning various striker fired pistols for years, I bought a Sig P365 with manual safety as my carry weapon. At the gun shop, I was told that manual safety wasn’t really necessary and that weapon familiarity and practice could minimize the risk of accidental discharge. My counterpoint was that practice could make use of the manual safety instinctual. It seemed like the guys at the gun shop perceived carrying a striker fired weapon without a manual safety as a manly virtue.

roman9662 and larryganz like this.
  20. Eric304 May 21, 2020

Wow! I live in OC, and not far from it. I guess I will be avoiding FTF deal now.