Forums Latest Members
  1. p51p28 Mar 23, 2019

2. wsfarrell Mar 23, 2019

Both look fine, if somewhat overpriced. I like to see photos like the one below, which give the best evidence of previous polishing (this one appears to have been polished). Sellers almost never show these angles--not because they're being shady, but because it's not a very interesting shot. You might request it, especially from the eBay seller who claims "never polished."

speedmster_mkii.jpg

Nathan1967 likes this.
  3. 77deluxe Mar 23, 2019

Priced a bit high at the moment.

4. DanT Mar 23, 2019

Thanks for you post p51 -

As a relatively new owner of a Mk II, great to see others interested in this iteration of the Speedy Pro. Not sure if more knowledgable forum members regard the link below as a useful or accurate guide, but you can check the movement number here:

https://est1897.co.uk/omega-serial-numbers-how-old-is-your-omega-watch

According to this source, the Chrono 24 watch movement no would appear to be 31615464 - which corresponds with 1972, as described. The Ebay one is harder to read - possibly starts with a 2 or a 3 - if its 29603 that corresponds to 1970, in the same ball park as the description. If its 39603 XXX the movement is later, 1979 - so might be worth seeking clarification from the seller. The fact that the movement number is worn/hard to read might also raise an eyebrow?

Condition wise - the cases both appear to have marks/scratches commensurate with age - as has been noted many times on this forum and elsewhere, this case does have a habit of picking up knocks (I think due to the pronounced height as it sits on the wrist).

Dial and hands - hard to comment on these photos - I post a couple of pics below so you can get an idea of an original face from the early 70s with its faded tritium hour markers (I bought mine from an established bricks and mortar retailer in London and the dial was described as original.) My only comment on the pics of yours is that the lume on the hour markers in both examples seems a lot more 'bright yellow' than mine, which have faded back quite a bit - but this might be due to the direct artificial lighting in their photography.

The other posts regarding price are a whole topic in themselves. Perhaps there is slowly a ripple effect coming into Mark II prices from the big demand for the traditional Speedy. If I can make an analogy with Porsche 911s, the 996 was long derided by aficionados but prices for these have started to go up quickly recently as buyers saw the value in comparison with the 'true 911' antecedents. But that may be wishful thinking on my part! I paid a premium buying from a high street retailer with a Swiss Time service and warranty, but as 77 deluxe says the prices on your examples - especially without evidence of a recent service - might be considered on the high side. Watches of Knightsbridge had a sale last weekend that included a Mark II from 1977, and it only just scraped £1000 GBP. That's auction prices, but add in the fees and the cost of a service and that still only brings the price to around £1700??

speedy mk2 1.JPG speedy mk 2 2.JPG
  5. p51p28 Mar 24, 2019

Thanks a lot for your input Dan, I really appreciate it. I really like the Mark II's and I feel its a great time to buy one with the current Speedmaster craze. I'm gonna wait patiently for the right piece. :)

6. p51p28 Mar 24, 2019

Great advice. Thank you very much.

7. DanT Mar 24, 2019

Happy to help p51 - and very wise to bide your time. Check out the market and do try a Mark II on the wrist before you buy - they do sit high on the wrist so might be worth comparing with a traditional 'Moonwatch' - for the price of the Mark II's you were looking at, you can get a recent 'Moonwatch' ref 3570 for the same money on the second hand market. Both great watches and lineage