Forums Latest Members
  1. Toishome Oct 13, 2019

Just ordered an extract and it seems like their process has changed. You will need to upload photos of the front and back of the watch before being able to order an extract. Wonder why they made this change::confused2::

Extract.png
  2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Oct 13, 2019

Sounds like a good thing to me. The detail on an old watch face and bezel is almost unique. :)

I'm suprised they didn't ask for it before. ::confused2::

bazderome, Tet, queriver and 3 others like this.
  3. Bille Oct 13, 2019

Agree - it should increase the quality of the extracts

Spacefruit and WatchCor like this.
  4. BatDad Oct 13, 2019

I do wonder if any perceived oddity would restrict the issue of an extract though...

Do we know if this means no extracts on movements will be issued?

5. chronoboy64 Oct 13, 2019

that´s a bit strange to me because IMO their data are based on the movement numbers and not the outside configuration.

MCC, Magnix and Archer like this.
  6. Shabbaz Oct 14, 2019

I think that's still possible. Somebody did it without pictures a couple of weeks ago. Dont know the thread anymore.

7. Martin_J_N Oct 14, 2019

Maybe Omega will look at the movement numbers (for which Omega have a record of how the watch should look) and compare that to the images of how the watch looks now, this would help Omega determine whether a watch has been altered to become something different. It would also allow Omega to update their database on how watch 123456789 looks now, the images you send in could be stored against the movement number for future reference.

In doing this Omega can improve the information they send out, so if a watch is altered in an attempt to become something it isn't Omega will have a better chance of spotting this and can advise accordingly. This should help buyers of older or vintage watches.

Just the opinion of someone who is unlikely to ever use this service.

chronoboy64 and JanV like this.
  8. harrymai86 Oct 14, 2019

But the new Extract sucks, a cheap envelope with a folded extract, looks even cheaper than a Xmas card. I missed the last red folder and wax seal

Mark020, Tet, chronoboy64 and 2 others like this.
  9. Tubber Oct 14, 2019

Are they still the same price?

10. Speedimaster Oct 14, 2019

So and here my story

I bought a Seamaster from 1969 via an auction platform. I requested an extract from the Omega archives for the watch. (Photo from the front and back incl.)
    Only 1 day later I got the message STORNED!
    Reason of Omega:
    Dear Sir,
    The available historical documentation associated to the movement you provided us leads to a watch model that does not match the one in the pictures you submitted.
    In such cases, we are unable to issue an EftA.

My first thought was "mist, I bought a franc watch".
    Well then, I like the watch and everything is original, except the movement has now...

But now hold on tight.
    Omega charges CHF 129 for it.
    For nothing and nothing again.
    I wonder how a layman should recognize this if this movement fits exactly to this model or not!
    I think Omega wants to minimize the so-called Frankenuhren on the market with this new photo method.
    I am extremely sour on Omega and am in contact with Biel. Will keep you up to date.
    But be careful with vintage watches, this is a risk game with the new archive excerpts....

11. mickygee Oct 14, 2019

I think that omega being strict on the achive cert had to be a good thing. To many scammers now that the watches are worth so much. It's there to protect the authenticity of the pieces and stop people building Franken watches based on the movement

Speedimaster likes this.
  12. Speedimaster Oct 14, 2019

I agree with you 100%. But the end consumer can not know this. Thus, if it is a franc, the service should be free.

chronoboy64, simonsays and JimJupiter like this.
  13. river rat Oct 14, 2019

Zenith ask for photo’s and movement serial numbers and any case back serial numbers for there archive letters surprised took Omega a while to do the same with photo’s. They can do a better ID of the watch.

14. Shabbaz Oct 14, 2019

Yes

15. mickygee Oct 14, 2019

Maybe half the fee? , they still did the work to research the movement and it's not omega's fault watch is not correct.

16. BatDad Oct 14, 2019

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of raising the bar for issuing an extract - and by extension providing less incentive to franken. I feel that frankens will continue to exist. This is a good step forward but won’t stop the practice.

In the example above Omega has found the extract but choose not to release.

In my mind I think Omega missed a trick here. They could have created a new type of extract - a qualified version.
    So for all watches that meet the bar - full extract.

For those where the serial doesn’t match the records (assuming that is the only criteria) a reduction in info.... Just Serial Number & Model No manufacturing date, country of origin etc.

For watch nerds like us - wouldn’t we take that information and look to put the watch right!

In that situation information continues to flow into the community AND Omega keep their fee...

17. Screwbacks Oct 14, 2019

this new security feature has been pointed out in the past, i iust dont recall who brought it. yes i certainly conform as this is a good step to secure safety on those who are sharing their omegas in public from being victimized by unscrupulous individuals. cheers.

18. Stuie Oct 14, 2019

Given the new EoA T&Cs I was either lucky or Omega were happy with my honesty :)

Back in 2016 I bought a cheap beater 3952.50.
    The aim was to change hands /bezel / dial to the Gemini IV limited edition to make a beautiful blue dialled speedy with a gold 863 movement display back.
    It came with a crappy A4 white paper extract so I knew one day I should replace it with the nice A4 Cream textured card / red envelope etc.
    I was gutted to read on OF the EoA had closed so thought I had better get one when it opened back up.
    When the EoA opened up again I was straight in there to place an order
    Pictures ? Pictures ? hmmm .. Without reading all the new T&Cs I uploaded a front picture and a rear picture and entered this description

Short description: Originally a 3952.5 display back, black dial on 1479/812 bracelet. Restored with 3565.80 dial and hands on 1998/849 bracelet
    20190806_150831.jpg
    20190806_150907-2.jpg
    A few days later I read more stories on OF about all the new T&C's. I initially thought I had just waved goodbye to 120CHF as obviously my watch is not as it left the factory.
    My order was placed on 6th August and to my surprise on 14th August I received a "Your order is on its way" email. Sure enough when I logged in to my Omega account there was a PDF extract for my 3952.50 even though it had clearly been modified :thumbsup:
    Pleased I managed to get a new extract but very disappointed with new A5 EoA format.
    Reduced waiting time is good but for the same 120CHF I don't think it is worth it compared to the previous red enveloped version :(

eoa_3952.50.png

Edited Oct 14, 2019
    WYO_Watch likes this.
  19. abrod520 Oct 14, 2019

Still not available in the US :/

20. Toishome Oct 14, 2019

So you are telling me that the new Extracts will just be a pdf file emailed to us? I am not very happy If that is the case. That stinks.