Forums Latest Members

Extendable 8260 bracelet on Omega Constellation 14393

1. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

Hello,

I recently received an Omega 14393 with parts of a period bracelet still attached. Only one part of the clasp was still present. The other one with the bracelet number was missing. From the looks I'd say it's a 8260 bracelet. However, the clasp with the Omega logo has a strange cut-off end. The second photo with a black background is a reference photo of a complete 8260 bracelet.

Is this a variation of the 8260, a different bracelet or was it cut off (the edges don't look straight and smooth)?

Thanks,
    Roger

8260-bracelet.jpg 8260-bracelet-b.PNG
  2. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

3. Lucasssssss Feb 10, 2020

I have now seen a couple of these bracelets, you are correct the reference is 8260, I have personally called them a 5 row parallel BOR. The correct endlinks are #50 and are 18mm.

I have seen one on a 1962 Seamaster monocoque case, and one on a Dog Leg Constilation. They are not a common bracelet, and I know some people have suggested it was only made for one or two years. I do not know if this is the case. I would be very interested to know the serial number of your watch, and if it fits into the 1962 theory.

I have never seen a notched clasp like the one above, although I find it hard to believe that it is for a wetsuit attachment, especially regarding the type of watches which I have seen it on.

Sturmvogel likes this.
  4. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

Thank you. I cannot open the watch myself (I don't have the right tools), but plan to send it to Omega for a service (I will ask them not to replace the crown or polish the case). I also plan to get an extract from the Omega archive. I should then be able to share the serial number with you.

It is a 14393, which I believe would fit around early 1960. The clasp and the parts of the bracelet that are still present are in great condition. I hope to restore it to its original configuration, although it seems it won't be so easy to find a complete 8220 with this type of clasp.

5. Lucasssssss Feb 10, 2020

Can you take some more pictures of the actual clasp and where the notch is, with some from the back also. Does it look like a home made job?

6. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

It doesn't look like home made. It is very clean.

8260-bracelet-c.jpg 8260-bracelet-d.jpg
  7. Lucasssssss Feb 10, 2020

It is possible that someone has cobbled together the bracelet with an incorrect clasp, possibly the reason why it has fallen appart. Keep an eye on the for sale section here/ebay and a correct bracelet/bracelet parts should come up. This being said, the clasp does fit very snug with the bracelet, which makes me doubt that it was swapped.

The clasp which you have does remind me of how the 1120/116 bracelet functions which I have seen come appart like yours. The 1120/116 bracelet is also of a similar time period.

There are some experts on Constellations here who might be able to point you (and me!) in the right direction. If you amend your title to include the reference, then you may have some more luck.

Sturmvogel likes this.
  8. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

Thank you. I will watch out for such a bracelet and will update here when and if I can find a complete one. I could install a standard 8260, but prefer to restore it to the condition like I received it (assuming that the original owner bought it with the extendable 8260 bracelet).

9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 10, 2020

That clasp looks like Jacoby-Bender. They had the sliding adjustable clasp and the cutout is a dead giveaway. Based on how well it fits, the end link might be 11/16 to fit US market watches. Or, might be Swiss 18mm, no way to know without measuring.

But, pretty sure it is a US-made JB “Champion” bracelet.

Tom

timesofplenty and Lucasssssss like this.
  10. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

I am not sure. First, the watch comes from Japan, then the end links are marked ‘50’ like on other 8260 bracelets I have seen. I do believe it is an Omega bracelet.

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 10, 2020

I was being facetious, that was how the seller had described the bracelet. No, it's not a wet-suit extension.

Sturmvogel likes this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 10, 2020

This type of clasp is most commonly associated with the 5-row BOR.

IMG_4581.jpg

13. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

Do you think that the clasp from a 5-row BOR was added to the 8260? The side of the clasp on my bracelet towards the bracelet has a different shape than the ones in your photo for the BOR bracelet. It looks as if mine was really made for the 8260. Or am I wrong?

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 11, 2020

I might have inadvertently confused you.

Omega bracelets are mostly made by contractors and many in the country in which the watch is sold.

Jacoby Bender was a huge bracelet and strap manufacturer in the US. This is why I suggest your lug size might be 11/16" instead of 18mm.

These are genuine Omega bracelets, just not made in Switzerland. Aside from the end links, they are utterly interchangeable.

Your bracelet shows signs that it was made by Jacoby Bender. Whether you can find pieces to put it together, I don't know. A worthy endeavour but it might take years.

Tom

timesofplenty likes this.
  15. timesofplenty Jun 13, 2021

hope no one minds that i resurrect this thread, but if anyone cares that clasp was called the Presto-Slide buckle.
    shown in the pics is an old instruction sheet, unfortunately it's not dated.
    IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1063.JPG

felsby, Lucasssssss and Boojumhunter like this.