Forums Latest Members

Explorer 214270 vs Black Bay 58...other suggestions

1. MikeJF Jan 4, 2020

Greetings and Happy New Year to all! I hope the new year has been well to everyone so far. My new years resolution is to devote more time to productive outlets and enjoy time with my new baby boy. Watch collecting has completely consumed me over the last two years and also taken away my appreciation for my timepieces. I’ve had too many and was unable to really enjoy the watches I love. I want my collection to put quality over quantity.

I’ve decided a three watch collection will allow more wrist time for the pieces I really enjoy. I’ve narrowed two down to my Seamaster 300M Ti and Seamaster 1948 small seconds. With a blue and white dial down, I turn my attention to what’s super important: a black dial watch.

I’m really looking for something in the 39-40mm case range; an every day watch I can dress up for the office and down for a weekender. Something that has contemporary flair but with timeless and vintage touches. After much research, I feel the Explorer 214270 or Tudor Black Bay 58 would check these boxes. I’ve also considered the Seamaster Pro 300. I know the watches we wear are personal but I’d really love to get feedback from you all. Also please feel free to make other suggestions! I look forward to your responses.

Thank you all!

Mike

2. stevec14 Jan 4, 2020

I would add something like a black dial explorer 2 (16570). You already have a diver so a gmt would be good.

otherwise for a chrono, what about a speedy? A little bigger but would be a nice change up (and is a strap monster to boot)

amiriqbal, OmeGez and MikeJF like this.
  3. MikeJF Jan 4, 2020

I have thought of Speedy to be honest. Was looking at the 57 and Trilogy LE. The trilogy is nice because it fits in that size I’m looking for. Any you recommend me looking at?

4. stevec14 Jan 4, 2020

I think any of them. The trilogy is nice but I find the non straight lugged speedies to wear a little thinner (don’t know of that is true or not).

if you tried a normal speedy on with a leather strap I think you’d be surprised how small it wears.

depends on your budget. The Apollo 11 is a cracker if you could find one.

MikeJF likes this.
  5. Tigeranteater Jan 8, 2020

I got the 214270 about a month ago.... it hasn’t been off my wrist since. Seriously. I even sleep with it. Damn near perfect watch.

6. jhross98 Jan 8, 2020

big vote for the bb58. . . soooo good on the wirst and such a nice mix of modern watch with vintage inspiration

Sidnos and MikeJF like this.
  7. rkman11 Jan 8, 2020

Given what you plan on keeping, I’d vote the explorer. And I commend you on the 3 watch move - thinking about that more and more myself!

MikeJF likes this.
  8. jud Jan 8, 2020

I own quite a few of the references you are considering or that have been recommended I would go with the 214270 because of the versatility it affords a small collection. While I like the thought of a Speedy, I think with two Omegas it would be nice to diversify your collection.

BB58 -- I really like the look of this watch but am disappointed by the execution. Specifically there is no half link for the bracelet and only three notches of adjustment in the clasp. I personally believe this is to differentiate Tudor from Rolex and their bracelet/clasp combination. I even tried adding the easylink from my Explorer to see if that would work, but the screws are different widths. I have had the BB58 less than 3 weeks but am considering selling it already because the bracelet does not fit me well.

Explorer 214270 -- I think this is the most versatile watch in my collection. It can be dressed up or down, looks good with jeans or a suit. I like the 39mm size but some think the 36mm older versions are better proportioned. This is a great under the radar Rolex. I tell my wife that I enjoy having a Rolex that most people think is a Timex.

Explorer 16570 white or black -- I sold the black one but owned them both for a couple of years, have kept the Polar. I like the look of the black on other people's wrist, but I rarely wore it. The white one rarely get worn but fits in my collection well. If you want something around 40mm that is different this is a great option. It wears smaller than the newer Rolex models in 40mm but that is a good thing.

munichblue and MikeJF like this.
  9. jhross98 Jan 8, 2020

i cannot argue that the bb58 bracelet is not nearly as comfortable as a daytona bracelet.. that said i just wore mine every day for 2 weeks in chile and it felt fine

i'm sure it depends on your wrists. . .i do love the rolex half link for sure

MikeJF likes this.
  10. dekevain Jan 8, 2020

Chiming in as I was in a position recently to add the BB58 to the collection, and already have the 214270. I can only say that I didn't buy the BB58, and would really get the Explorer. It's more versatile, I wasn't a fan of the bracelet of the BB58, and the gilt elements were a bit too much for me too. The Explorer is a very classic design, black & white, thin, and with the smooth bezel it can be dressed up or down without having to swap straps or anything. Easylink is a big bonus too.

MikeJF likes this.
  11. vicsdca Jan 8, 2020

The Explorer is a classic. I would pick it over the BB58, unless of course you really like homage watches with faux-aged lume. You also mention the Seamaster Pro 300. You can't go wrong with that.

Observer and MikeJF like this.
  12. imagwai Jan 8, 2020

I have BB58 and a 114270 Explorer. If I had to keep one it would be the Explorer, although at the moment I am wearing the 58 more!

MikeJF likes this.
  13. Ssunnylee24 Jan 8, 2020

Ive had both and I would say go with the 214270. Blackbay58 is a well executed watch but dosent come close to the Explorer. Enjoyed both but I would go with Explorer 10/10.

B4E5A4CF-4D45-4368-B45B-751202D406BF.jpeg E28C9D02-4F7E-49BE-A8D4-C14D7C0A8537.jpeg F7910E5E-B1CD-42F6-B180-700CFEEB008A.jpeg
    MTROIS, Pun, munichblue and 1 other person like this.
  14. Tigeranteater Jan 9, 2020

It’s just a near perfect watch. It doesn’t scream Rolex but looking at it, you immediately know it’s a classic

81CF3C61-7D96-4242-BE1A-7E198F51A929.jpeg
    Pun, munichblue and MikeJF like this.
  15. onthedial Jan 9, 2020

@MikeJF
    I'm going to switch things up on you...I recommend choosing your favorite between the Seamaster 300M Ti and Seamaster 1948, and selling the least favored. I would then buy an Explorer 21427 (or 114270 if you prefer) and a white or silver dial Datejust. If you're going for a three-watch collection you need a classy and timeless dress watch and the Datejust is iconic.
    -- My 2 cents.

MikeJF likes this.
  16. MikeJF Jan 11, 2020

It’s a hard sell in a venue like this, but Hey come join me on the other side!

17. MikeJF Jan 11, 2020

This is a great write up! Thank you so much

18. MikeJF Jan 11, 2020

See now you got me thinking...any particular datejust reference(s) you recommend me looking into?

19. jeelan Jan 11, 2020

None of your current watches seem to hv date so you don’t appear to require that function. I have the Datejust 41 in a couple of variations and would highly recommend it however you should bear in mind the cyclops on all the Rolex models with a date function (including the Explorer II) adds a different element to the design if you’re used to having “clean” visibility of the dial....

In the a early years of my watch collection I onsold a Sub And GMT for exactly that reason and wore a Seadweller instead. Ive only recently got the Datejust and am still getting used to the cyclops...

Something to bear in mind......

20. Liammmj Jan 12, 2020

I'd swap my BB58 for a 114270 in a heartbeat and I love the Tudor.

imagwai likes this.