Forums Latest Members

Expert opinion on this vintage Heuer Carrera 12 - Ref 2447s

1. terry.shan May 17, 2018

Hi all, I came to work this morning and I had the pleasure to see this nice timepiece

Long story short, a co-worker's father passed away and he wants to acquire his father's watch from the estate. To buy from the estate, the watch has to be appraised (for benefit of my co-worker's siblings). As he is not a WIS, he asked my help to find out more about this watch. As I am not a vintage Heuer expert (nor expert in any brand), I managed to gather the following from the web:

Model Reference: 2447s (likely early edition, given the hexback and unsigned crown)
    Year: 1964 (est.)
    Watch Serial: 56xxx (last 3 digit left out for privacy purposes)
    Movement: Valjoux 72
    Dial and Hands: First Edition dial and hands
    Caseback: Polygonal Caseback (aka hexback)
    Crown: Unsigned (very early edition had unsigned crown, but slightly larger than the one on this watch… however, I’ve also seen some examples with this type of unsigned crown… my guess this is original)

Can Heuer experts out there confirm if what I have gathered is accurate?

Valuation/Appraisal: The watch is great condition, unpolished, very clean dial, slightly oxidized hands and clean crystal. Case is in great condition. Band is not original.
    Based on what I can find, the watch is worth somewhere between $15k to $20k CAD... again, I'm interested to hear from some Heuer collectors here.

Lastly, given the sentimental and monetary value of this watch, I hope someone more knowledgeable can suggest the best and safest way to have this appraised.

To summarize my questions
    1. Is the watch info above accurate? If not, please share your thoughts
    2. Is the watch worth around $15-20k CAD?
    3. What is the best and safest option to have this appraised?

I really appreciate feedback from the community.

Thanks all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jkuback, bdatki, Vitezi and 4 others like this.
  2. w154 May 17, 2018

Pretty good evaluation. It is indeed a very early one, and the dial looks good to my eye. If you want to get an accurate price then you’ll need movement shots too. Your current estimate feels a little high, but perhaps a top-end dealer would be asking in that range. I guess a private sale would be fractionally under your lower estimate.

My 54xxx serial 3647T says hello !

6F227D5E-08D7-4FA3-831A-11448A32EC5E.jpeg

3. abrod520 May 17, 2018

Beautiful example! It looks correct to me, I can't be 100% sure about the crown but yes this model would have had a large, unsigned crown. I'm not at home to compare to mine, but the size looks right.

I'd say that if the movement is in good shape (no rust, all parts are present and the chronograph starts, stops, and resets properly) then yes, 15-20k CAD (11-15k US at current exchange rates) is about what it's worth IMO.

Best option for appraisal is probably an auction house.

bazamu and w154 like this.
  4. MaiLollo May 17, 2018

Spectacular watch, all correct and looks like a high price but the watch is worth getting, No matter the cost

bazamu and terry.shan like this.
  5. chronoboy64 May 17, 2018

+ 1

6. wkimmd May 17, 2018

Beautiful. If your coworker ever sells - DIBSSSSS!!

7. terry.shan May 17, 2018

Thank you, I have been told that a movement shot is needed for a more accurate evaluation. I'm not sure if the case back require more specialized tool to open, so not to get damaged or scratch during the process.

BTW, very beautiful watch you have there!

8. terry.shan May 17, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. Given that I have no information on the state of the movement, I only did a few gentle wind, and the chronograph functions correctly. I did not perform further tests as I do not want to incur any damage to the movement.

I reached out to Jeff Stein, but again, he is very busy, and I'm hoping he will write back. Will report back if I hear anything.

9. terry.shan May 17, 2018

haha, appreciate the offer... someone PM'd me as well for purchase...

To be clear, the watch is not for sale, and I do not have possession of the watch at this point. I'm merely helping my co-worker with finding a accurate valuation, so he can fairly share the estate with his siblings... he is a very honest and noble man.

MaiLollo and Buck2466 like this.
  10. Brook May 18, 2018

Your friend’s 2447 S is an early one as you have mentioned.
    Serial number sits nicely in the poly back range and most importantly,
    it has the correct eggshell color dial. Don’t worry about the crown, the early ones
    unsigned were 6.7-6.8mm and it looks about right.
    My estimate is this is a $12000-16000 Carrera.
    I suggest you contact Eric Wind. He used to work for Christie’s and You can trust Eric!!
    He has gone out on his own in the Watch world and should be able to give a written estimate.
    A lot of watch pedigree with him and an early Heuer fan. [email protected]

terry.shan, georgetownhoya and bazamu like this.
  11. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 18, 2018

As others have said, this looks correct in all major respects and in very nice condition, to boot. These eggshell dials are very rarely seen, and typically don't have the attractiveness of this one's patina. He should go "all in" for this one.

12. CPRwatch May 18, 2018

Its looks like a great example of an 1st execution, I used to own the same example & still have some old pictures of it ,& it also had an unsigned crown & serial no was 6.2 as in the picture posted below .If you can buy it then I would highly recommend you do . Like a fool I sold it for a song & boy do I miss it .

ACarreraFrom1963.jpg Carrera serial No 2.JPG

Carrera serial No 1.JPG
  13. georgetownhoya May 18, 2018

w154, bdatki, t_swiss_t and 5 others like this.
  14. terry.shan May 19, 2018

Yes, agree... This is very clean and the fact is his father's, he will buy it regardless of the cost.

15. terry.shan May 19, 2018

Thank you for sharing that photo. I agree, this is a very sharp watch and rare one that deserves to be kept as family heirloom piece.

16. terry.shan May 19, 2018

Thanks again Eric for the feedback, as someone had suggested to contact you and here you are!

Love the community here. I'm an active member of a Canadian forum, but I will start following this forum more closely going forward.

Cheers all

bdatki likes this.
  17. w154 May 20, 2018

Hi Eric

I recently had the chance to put a Geiger counter against my 3647T (sn 54xxx) and it reads positive for Radium. I asked over on OTD if there are other examples and a few people replied already with similar results. So it looks like the absence of the T may indeed indicate radium, rather than being related to legislation changes about how to mark Tritium. It would be interesting to hear from anyone with a none-T dial that's actually Tritium. Maybe they don't exist.

I should add the proviso that I measured the complete watch, so it's conceivable that the dial is Tritium and it's only the hands that are Radium.

Do you know anything new in this area ?

18. georgetownhoya Jan 30, 2019

Sorry just seeing this, but yes, I have now identified that the early range of Carreras (maybe to around 60xxx, but especially those without a T on the dial) actually has radium lume!

w154 likes this.
  19. w154 Jan 30, 2019

Thanks Eric

Better late than never :D

Hope you’re well and that you’re enjoying being your own boss !

Seafarer says hello :)

95B644BA-86D4-4164-90B9-CEC38712FC67.jpeg

georgetownhoya likes this.