Forums Latest Members
  1. tophmon Jul 6, 2015

I'd be interested in hearing what OF members have experienced when buying a (private sale) watch that is then shipped from the UK to the US. Preferred carriers? Has anyone had their incoming watch held until they "ransom" it from the post office by paying an import tax?
    Before I commit to a deal I am trying to figure out what to expect with regards to potential costs, headaches, etc.
    Thank you for the input.
    Topher

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 6, 2015

While the USA technically have import duty on watches, even used ones, it is rarely enforced if you send using Royal Mail/EMS which will be passed to USPS at the border. I've never been charged for watches shipped in from overseas. However, it is impossible to adequately insure watches this way.

If you search here, there are dozens of posts about various methods of sending stuff from one country to another.

Insurance is usually an issue.
    gatorcpa

3. ezinternet Jul 7, 2015

Topher - I've bought watches and parts from Europe and the UK without any problems on the receiving side. They can be tracked; they show up; they get her rather quickly by common carrier (FedEx or DHL) as compared to being sent by Royal Mail -> USPS.

As gatorcpa says, insurance generally tracks to declared value. However, at the point of payment the watch becomes yours and it might be covered against loss in transit by your homeowners policy if you have jewelry coverage. I know my policy covers my incoming watches.

US Customs duty is based on declared value and contents. It is generally paid by the carrier and then collected from you as an add-on. The shipper rarely knows the duty. It's happens at our border. FedEx happily bills you later by invoice, and I think USPS and DHL will wait for you to hand over a check to the driver.

Customs duties can be minimized by one of two paths used by many shippers/buyers: understating the total value on the commercial invoice papers ("$200 used watch"), or by incomplete declaration of contents (e.g. calling it "used timing device" rather than "18k gold, 31 jewel chronograph and bracelet") or "Gift $25". I doubt the risk is high if someone wants to fictionalize the invoice - at worst there will additional duties owed. Personally, I play it straight with declarations.

Still, the customs duty doesn't have to be very high - and can be very low. For most watches it is calculated based on a 3-part formula that allocates the declared value among the movement, case, and strap. The movement carries a fixed fee of a few dollars (e.g. $1.53) at most. The case is assessed low single digits, maybe 5% (from memory) and the strap can be 10%. So if you buy, say, an old Marine Chronometer for $4000 I would be comfortable stating that 80% of the value is in the movement, and another 15% in the case (incl. dial) and perhaps $200 or so in the strap. FedEx customs agents working on your shipment will call you to get this breakdown. Take that call! :) For other carriers, direct the shipper to break out the declared value explicitly as you assess the relative value of the three components.

-ez

4. Geordie Jul 8, 2015

Royal Mail 5 to 7 days but if using Royal Mail the max insurance is £250 and you cant part insure an item.
    Parcel Force will insure more but its not cheap.
    I just posted a watch to NY from UK but I put NIL as a value on the duty label.