Forums Latest Members
  1. leepxy Jan 4, 2019

Hi OF,

Wanted to see if anyone's had any experience with replacing a bezel insert on a vintage piece. I was thinking about getting a replacement bezel insert for my 1963 SM300 so that I could keep the original insert safe and not worry about accidentally chipping more of the bakelite.

I found a replacement insert on ebay (herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) but am wondering if it's too much of a hassle or if there's a risk of damaging the original insert on removal.

Thanks in advance!

Here's my SM300
    IMG_2218.jpg

2. wsfarrell Jan 5, 2019

The eBay bezel is a nice-looking repro. There's always risk in handling bakelite bezels, but it should be minimal if a watchmaker does it. Don't watch a youtube video and start prying it with a Swiss army knife...

3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 5, 2019

just be aware, that this replacement insert sticks out of the bezel. it is higher. you have to clean the old bezel very carefully , use very fluid glue and let it dry with a matching diameter ring, hold down with something heavy. I personally would keep your old insert and carefully top it with some matte` Laquer to secure it. kind regards. achim

4. cristos71 Jan 5, 2019

I'm curious as to how you would be planning to remove the old insert without it crumbling up. AFAIK it isn't possible, at least I've never seen an original straight lug 300 bezel insert loose from its bezel, anyone?

ConElPueblo, Davidt and Mark020 like this.
  5. speedamatuer Jan 5, 2019

The "insert" on the bezel you have isn't an insert as such, it's effectively painted on - so you can't remove without destroying. If you're looking for a pristine insert it may be better to wait for a full bezel to come up on ebay (restored or bare metal), they do appear from time to time.

6. Davidt Jan 5, 2019

I can't see any way that you could remove the bakelight from your existing bezel without damaging it horribly.

Imo these aftermarket inserts are for bezels where the Bakelite has already fallen out.

OMEGuy likes this.
  7. cristos71 Jan 5, 2019

IIRC the last original one on EBay sold for around €5k :eek:

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 5, 2019

Or wait a few years for Aldo

OMEGuy and watchyouwant like this.
  9. speedamatuer Jan 5, 2019

15 months for my last one...

10. leepxy Jan 5, 2019

Thanks everyone. Sounds like my concerns were valid in terms of not being able to leave the original insert unscathed. I'll probably leave it as is and be extra careful while wearing it...