Forums Latest Members

Experience selling watches to Theo&Harris?

1. matthewchan9027 Jan 4, 2018

Any thoughts on or experience selling watches to them?

I am planning to sell my Tudor dateday to them, but they required me to ship the watch to them first and pay me via PayPal once it lands, and I am not sure about that. Need you guys opinions, are they legit? Thanks.

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 4, 2018

PP? And you eat fees?

Why not sell yourself?

GuiltyBoomerang, sdre and BenBagbag like this.
  3. thatwatchguy Jan 4, 2018

He'll pay ya. Know him personally

4. sdre Jan 4, 2018

They are legit as far as I can tell. However you are going to be selling to them at least 20% less than what you can sell on open markets. Then you have to ship it yourself, and plus 6-7% PayPal fees that you have to cover....

That's quite a bad deal in itself.

5. BenBagbag Jan 4, 2018

You've gotten far enough to make it here. Unless you don't have the time or can't be bothered you might as well learn how to sell your watch at market value.

Lucasssssss, IDXM, Larry S and 5 others like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jan 5, 2018

I see 0% incentive to sell a watch at a stupid low price to someone who'll do nothing more than take nice photos and add hyperbole to sell it on at a premium to his customers.

7. n-theory Jan 6, 2018

Without commenting on the pros/cons to selling to a reseller, I've sold a few pieces to Christian and they are "legit."

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 6, 2018

I sold to Jacek...he sent a FedEx label...and then wired money...totally painless and cost free to me.

If they don't pick up shipping and fees, then, well, I think that is rather bush league.

Unless of course the number they are giving you takes it all in account.

He will pay you, they are legit.

watch3s, Seacow and isaac.owen.nz like this.
  9. Ninja2789 Jan 6, 2018

I echo the same sentiments regarding selling it yourself. No reason to leave money on the table if you don't mind a bit of leg work.

If you're hesitating on selling online because of low post count (e.g. 200 for OF, and 100 for WUS) then you can look at other forums like chronocentric which doesn't require those limits. Most buyers will use Watchrecon which will pick up those listings anyway.

10. matthewchan9027 Jan 7, 2018

very useful comment, thx

11. Seacow Jan 7, 2018

Or you can get an ebay account and sell it on there....let the market decide the value of your watch....mind you that ebay charge some money after you sell the watch...

12. SaintMickey Jan 7, 2018

eBay will take 10%

13. Seacow Jan 7, 2018

But provide some what a protection?

14. SaintMickey Jan 7, 2018

Yes...I have been - Member since: Mar 14, 1998|United States and I've seen my share of scammers.
    Sell take PayPal, buy label on eBay and ship only to confirmed address and buyer protection has not failed me yet.

Also their new Global Selling feature is amazing. You charge shipping within USA (if thats where you are) to their international shipping center. They bill the buyer fees, import, taxes, extra shipping to their country and then then ship it to them. No fraud back on me b/c eBay shipped it to them and I believe verify contents. Just amazing and has opened up the world. I use to limit to USA only but no need now.

Lucasssssss and matthewchan9027 like this.
  15. Lucasssssss Jan 7, 2018

+1 to eBay, I think I have probably sold about 30 watches on there over the past few years, never had a problem, and even been pleasantly surprised with some of the auctions, easily worth the 10% for ease and access to buyers globally with the GSP.

16. ConElPueblo Jan 7, 2018

Global shipping is the no. 1 turn-off for me. And I know I am not the only one.

It might open up the world to you, but it closes a large number of doors too.

Mods, cristos71, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 7, 2018

Ditto...Global Shipping is a can of worms

ConElPueblo and SaintMickey like this.
  18. SaintMickey Jan 7, 2018

Yeah::facepalm1:: it might not be so good for the buyer. I sold a couple Hodinkee Sistem51's for $250 or $300 and one seller paid a additional amount and its still traveling. But they do tell the buyer ahead of time. At least its "safe"?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

19. Vanallard Jan 7, 2018

Listing locally is also an option. There’s generally less risk and hassle with a face to face meeting/sale than any sort of online transaction. I’ve been able to sell a few watches locally for a higher price than what the watches likely would have sold for on eBay as there are people who will pay a premium to see the watch in person before buying and not have to deal with shipping cost/duties/PayPal etc. I suppose it depends on where you live and the level of demand for what is being sold.

20. Davidt Jan 7, 2018

Yep eBay Global Shipping has been a nightmare for me as I buyer. I much prefer standard international delivery and I'll sort things out with customs at my end.